Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mob AI/Pathing too easy to exploit.

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by DivZero, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DivZero

DivZero Avatar

I appreciate the fact that we have monsters to fight now and a way to initiate combat. However this first iteration, while nice to have, is extremely boring. I know that the combat system will quickly change and become better with each release but for now, I find it getting in the way of my desire to explore.

I decided to take advantage of the fact that there really isn't a death penalty yet and just run though dungeons to explore them, figuring I could just let the mobs beat me up while I ran around...

However, after a little bit I realized that with minimal effort I could engage all the mobs in the area, kite them around and either get them stuck in a room or simply outrun them and explore until they finally caught up again (if ever). I rarely was in danger of dying, i could run around and check everything out - even loot chests.

Now, while I know the combat will improve, will mob AI/pathing/balance improve at the same rate?

2. Mogdurok

Mogdurok Avatar

Of course it will.. let's not forget this is PRE-Alpha. It'll be more useful if you have a specific suggestion or a bug. But I'm 150% sure that they will work on the AI and make it fun in future releases.

3. DivZero

DivZero Avatar

I, and probably every other poster in the R4 forums are aware that R4 is 'pre-alpha' quality.

This particular forum exists for specific feedback about the release. My feedback concerning mob AI is that it is simplistic and needs some serious attention. I've heard talk about combat being improved and NPC interactions getting some attention with regards to quests or town behavior. I have not seen or heard much if monster AI would follow suit.

Again to reiterate, my post is targeted towards R4 and puts on record, at least my thoughts, that mob AI/pathing issues should receive the same attention as other NPCs and combat mechanics.

I believe my post to be a valid piece of R4 feedback.

4. Blacklisted

Blacklisted Avatar

What Mogdurok is saying is that they haven't gotten to the mob AI much yet. I mean half the time the mobs just stand there and don't even attack. While any feedback is helpful, it seems a bit irrational to critique something they obviously haven't worked on much. At this point we have zero idea how the mob AI will be. The combat in this release was to test basic stuff, and mostly from the player character's point of view. (Auto attack, animation, hit detection, damage, etc).

They can't do it all at once, which is why they are implementing different stuff with each release. Your post will be more valid as R5 or R6 feedback (or whatever release they decide to focus on the mob AI)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.