Large in-game events

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eldgrim, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldgrim

Eldgrim Avatar

Many online games have organized events that incorporate lots of players. These might be invasions, capture-the-flag events, etc. Will this be a thing in online mode? Is it practical in the selectively-online system? Can I organize a sortie to counter-attack an invasion of imps on my village?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

In UO they made some (I remember that plague invasion in Yew). That was cool, Yew changed and even had special quests, but expensive to prepare, so they didn't make more. :(

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Yes, there will be castles and sieges.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Eldgrim

Eldgrim Avatar

What would the maximum number of participants be, though?

Time Lord likes this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

They've yet to determine that. So far they haven't had a problem with 64 people on a map in one instance. They haven't found their limit yet.

Time Lord and Eriador like this.
  6. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I think it would be cool to sit around an erupting volcano, roasting marshmallows, as a community.

Time Lord and Jatvardur like this.
  7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I don't think it will be. They are consistently saying they can place "tens" of people in an area. So I wouldn't expect to see 1000 people standing around anytime soon.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

RG said that city invasions are possible.
    You can wait until its over, or you gather all citizen and defend your home.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

In terms of a storyline thing, and possibly something involving NPCs, I have no doubt that such a thing is possible, and is what he meant.

But he's been firm that they simply can't put that many players into the same space at the same time, due to the way the server works.

I would hate for people to be sitting out there thinking there's going to be massive battles in the game with 100s of players slugging it out.

That's not what SotA is going to be.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Thats right, but in most games this big events ends up in a lag party.
    So, i think 64 citizen defending a city in a lagfree hex is a good compromise.
    And keep in mind that there were more instanced hexes if necassary.

I remember the first champion spawns in UO.
    We were so much player in that dungeon that no one could move.
    Finally we killed each other. *g*

Mata and Time Lord like this.
  11. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Were you on dial-up? lol

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

No *g*
    There was no free tile on the way to the altar.
    And as of Fel with blocking each other, there was no other way as kill each other. :D

Mata and Time Lord like this.
  13. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Didst thou even find the altar, varlet!?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Not that day. I was killed several times and gave up.
    Today you can easily go there alone. :(

Time Lord likes this.
  15. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

'Tis sad indeed.

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

In earlier Vids, Darkstarr had indicated that not only would such thing be happening, but that they would be happening automatically with no need for any GM to set up or special planning done by any human at Portalarium for such things to happen.

Reading between the lines of such claims, one must wonder if these will have consistent timers, or fluctuating algorithms. If "Time" is uniformly spread or unified within the entire environmental world along with the independently celestial bodies. Assuming we will have such uniformity in time, this could give rise to these becoming predictable if player monitored, thus becoming an ingame talent that a player may enjoy.

Yet further into this subject of will there be a Uniform World Time, we find another interest that effects us all; "If I use Light or Moon based Magic, then can I count on feeling safer when travelling during the light or darkness?" Which is leads to the answer of the deeper question that is the subject of this thread, "When and how will those events happen?"...

Everything being connected, it's something more for us to ponder...o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

17. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

I hope there are in-game events. I remember finally convincing a friend to buy UO, and when he made his character he selected Trinsic as his starting town.... only to spawn in the middle of the zombie invasion. :D

18. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Expensive? I witnessed a dozen GM & Seer quests, they cost 0gp to the GMs, but time I suppose you mean? I enjoyed some of them especially the one where I was the first to figure out the riddle and recalled to the swamps north of Trinsic faster than anyone and I grabbed the strange looking mushroom, I immediately recalled to the bank, banked it, and hid it under 100 items knowing GMs can see in your bank, they can see alright but they apparently can't see under items LOL. So I recall to Trinsic swamp finding a dozen people there already, they say they are looking for a mushroom to heal some girl or some junk and I pick up some bloodmoss that just spawned and I drop it at the GMs feet and say "Is this it?" The gm says no and asks if anyone found it yet (probably while the GM checks everyone's backpack & bank), but bada bing bada boom I got away with it hahaha, the GM was forced to create from nothing a new strange looking mushroom which was a single tiny shroom not as cool as the multiple stuck together shroom I had, the quest shroom was supposed to be perma locked to the ground but the GM forgot, he locked the 2nd one and took it and made a worthless red potion out of it and yada yada yada I recalled outa there the end. Just one of the many quests I participated in but probably the one that was most rewarding for the thief I was 'role playing' ahahaha.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Gp? Nope, dollars, Im talking about real money. They said (or I remember that) that was a little bit hard to implement, and the cost was high. And was supposed to be a temporal event, but They didnt turn Yew to normal until Mondain's Legacy (in 2005), because the players failed the quest requertiments in global terms, or just because they were lazy :p. That kind of event were supposed to happend few times every year. Very late, post RG time, they also made an invasion to Britain and a demon invasion also to Magnicia, but much more simple, style of the zombie invasion to Trinsic, I think (I barely remember that one).

Anyway with the modern technology and the dual style map (finally the map will fit with something good in the game :p) maybe we can have good event more easily. About pvp events the 2M SG included castles that can be in war, but we have to remember that PVP scares some players.

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The whole point of playing online in SPO was that you would see world changing events and be able to have the affects of them in your game. So I hope they are still in.

Time Lord and Eriador like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.