Skara Brae - the city burned by electricity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rune_74, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Skara Brae has been an integral part of the Ultima lore for many games, and it holds a fond spot in many of our hearts. It is a public domain name since it is based on a real city.

My thought is, why not have it a city that was effected negatively by the changing technological climate. It has a history in the past of being used to teach a lesson, it would be very interesting to see it used that way again.

For instance there could be "spectres" of the towns inhabitants roaming the streets, electrical remnants of the townspeople who lived their until the electrical storm ripped through the city enveloping it's towns people. This could even spread to the city being ripped through time and being available at different times due to the flux of magic and electricity.

This is just a start but what do you think?

2. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Yes.
    I like the idea of electro-ghosts. Maybe the generator for the city was overloaded, and due to the their souls are trapped, giving the player an opportunity to destroy the generator or whatever.

3. Strongsquirrel1

Strongsquirrel1 Avatar

If it is not copyright maybe they could but if it is then they could not since I don't see EA giving permission.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. cor2879

cor2879 Avatar

If Skara Brae is in the game then there better be a ferryman charging me money to get across the river and into town :)

Time Lord likes this.
  5. marthos

marthos Avatar

Skara Brae could not be owned by EA since it's the name of an actual place in Scotland. Just like the term "Britain" is not owned by EA, since it's the name of an actual island. So those two names could be used for cities again. Yew is probably fair game as well since its a type of tree.

The "look and feel" of the city may need to be different enough, but the names themselves are fair game. For example, Skara Brae being a city dedicated to the virtue of spirituality may infringe on the Ultima IP, but Skara Brae a busy trading hub may not be an infringement. I'm sure LB will have a lawyer or two on hand to tell him where the line is, but I think "Britain" "Skara Brae" and "Yew" are going to be easier sells them "Jhelmon" "Magincia" and "Minoc"

Jatvardur and Time Lord like this.
  6. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

I loved the Skara Brae rescue in Ultima 7, so Skara Brae has special memories for me. I'd love to see a return to Skara Brae. Love the idea, rune_74. :)

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

This'd be a kick and it'd be a great nod to past Ultimas. You could probably even have a Well of Souls as it's a term used outside of Utlima as well. Having the town ruined by a tech disaster (instead of U7's alchemy fire) is a nice touch.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Robert Reise2

Robert Reise2 Avatar

Well there was that horror movie Shocker where the killer became an electric apparition after being executed in an electric chair. He could travel through the electrical grid and attack people through electricity. For SotA the protagonist might have to disable the final electrical links in the town to end these apparitions from attacking travelers, or perhaps a sub group of human inhabitants trying to hold on to the town, but are dying off from the attacks. Perhaps a moral decision could come when you have a choice to simply isolate the electricity or completely destroy all forms of electricity in Skara Brae.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

After all this talk of making cities more unique...I thought I would resurect this one....it doesn't have to be call Skara Brae...I just like my idea;)

Redbluefire, Time Lord and Jlad like this.
  10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Reminds me of the Ascalonian Ghosts in Guild Wars 2... all these people hit by the Foefire, and trapped as ghosts, in the spot they died, doing whatever they did at that moment.

Wandering the ruins of Ascalon in the game is very eerie.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascalonian_ghost

Ned888 and Time Lord like this.
  11. Floors

Floors Avatar

It kind of sounds like Magincia from UIV

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Jlad

Jlad Avatar

First Flain had to bust up in there like he owned the place, then Horance had to go and become a Liche in an effort to become immortal, then Caine and the mayor went and blew up the whole damn town.

Now you want to fry them all with electricity.

The humanity.

[​IMG]

edit: So do I pick my red shirt up at the docks or will it be coming with the kool-aid?

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    Jlad

"Well said Jlad!"
    Skara Brae............... The name just makes me wonder what the hell would it be doing way out here on an alien planet?
    So I guess it's time to start click'in our ruby red slippers, cause we're a long way from any humanity here Toto!o_O
    :confused:~Time Lord~:eek:

14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I like your idea, just not for Skara Brae. I would have Skara Brae be a non-destroyed Celtic influenced city this time around. But that is just me.

The One and Keira Of CODB like this.
  15. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm all for memorable, unique cities.

I loved Skara Brae in Ultima VII, but I don't want to repeat the plot of Ultima VII. I want something new and unique. Electro-ghosts sound interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.