Shattered Moon night sky path

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dermott, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

If they did that we would barely be able to see it... right now we can't even look up enough to see it when it's in its highest position in the sky.
    But come on, it just means that it orbits the planet at a different trajectory. ;)

I just wish they would blend it better with the background, or at least rotate the starfield with it so it wasn't so obvious that it's a flat piece of art. Love the Pen of the Avatar piece with it in the night sky though.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

Do you guys remember the mods for Oblivion. Probably for Skyrim too, although I never played the PC version of that.

Those had some really nice sky stuff and they were made by users/3rd parties.

I love daedalus as an idea, and even the shape, but I think it just needs to look a little more realistic than it does.

I don't think it can look great as a 3D model. Something that big and drastic would look so much better as art on a skybox type setup.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

I'm not saying it needs to be a 3D piece... It would actually look odd I think as a 3D model as the perspective would really need to be forced whereas a painting would work much better and can get the perspective right. That said it NEEDS to be better integrated into the night sky, and the night sky needs to move in tandem with the moon.

And we need to be able to look UP more!!!!

4. djshire

djshire Avatar

Am I the only person who assumed it was Kilrah?

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

Thank Goodness they finally fixed looking up!! And they did improve the moon as well.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

The game universe doesn't need to follow the same laws of physics that ours does either! This would make it pretty boring. Perhaps the moon's core is composed of a material which is super heavy and/or of a higher gravitational constant for some reason. Blackrock anyone? :)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

That was just cause it to reform quicker.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Yup, thus saving the planet from destruction from larger fragments and stopping them as a whole from escaping into a ring system and pulling them back together.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Sir, AvatarAcid Indeed,

Very true and physics is a very misunderstood science by most common people looking from it's outside inward.
    We know by the day and night cycles that our Planet is trapped in an elliptical orbit, thus many things of any commonly understood physics just do not apply.

This Planet of ours is in a state of great change as it should be. Has anyone noticed the different light that seems to emit throughout the Kingdom? This could be explained by a smaller star that orbits so close to the Sun that we see that it would almost seem invisible to the naked eye. Surly this is a game, yet many things are very different and full of wonder, For all we know there could be small unseen black holes lurking throughout the kingdom's heavens that cause space time flux and all that we see with our naked eyes are only illusions of some future or past in the sky.

Am I myself, or just my own illusion? ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

10. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

And if anyone is to know about space time flux, it would be you!

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

Perhaps we could integrate the blood moon into the story...

12. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Cool, I just found this thread. I was just trying to debate what those moon debris pieces should look like. I think they need to be rendered more so that there is a 3d effect to them.

- pieces would clump together? I don't think so. my opinion is that the pieces would just be in orbit of the plant. even those they look very close together the actual distance I think would make them far enough away from each other to have individual orbits...

kinda a funny point to debate over but in the end it just has to look good and whether or not it's a 100% accurate model of what would *actually* happen is probably not all that important... but still cool to talk about..

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Cryptomancer;
    [​IMG]
    mike11
    [​IMG]

I too have a hard time finding all the threads mike11. That's why I finally resorted to stalking players posts who I thought were interesting or seemed to know what they were talking about. (~I'm such a rip-off~;))....

If we look at the Darkstarr Moondial, we can see many spheres circling it's center globe in very wild orbits that in any reality would rip everything apart, yet I do want and enjoy a fictional world where the laws of physics are very different.
    I am very much hoping that our Moondial dose show what is hoped will be here and LB has stated that it is one of their goals to have a sky that is reflected in the same way, with the same "timing" as the rest of the world map, "a constant time".
    "Come On Moodial, Don't Let Us Down"! Become Our Reality!' :D

Eriador and Jambo like this.
  14. Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea

Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea Avatar

Oh Time Lord.....wouldn't you prefer a sun/moon dial more like this?

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The Darkstarr Moondial deluxe version $2000.00 in the SotA Store! :D
    "Get'em while they last!" :eek:

16. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

It depends on the nature of the shattering. It doesn't necessarily have to be violent or explosive (unless the novel I haven't finished suggests otherwise). Consider when you throw a snowball through the air and it disintegrates in "flight" before hitting its target.

However the actual appearance (with pieces pointing in various directions) does suggest that eventually the debris will travel in different directions.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

To be honest I put the shattering etc down to magic. I don't expect it to be real.

With regards to the fragments and the trajectory of the dust, it isn't necessarily wrong. We accept some magic but it isn't impossible for the fragments to align with the direction of travel. A couple of things spring to mind (this is all rough thinking):
    1. The dust trail of comets always point away from the sun rather than coming out of the back of the comet (as you might naively expect).
    2. I want to call them Trojan planets but that might not be the correct phrase: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_(astronomy) Basically dust can appear both in front of and behind a planet in its orbit and hence we see a planet sharing an orbit with other planetessimals and dust. There are some asteriods that co-orbit with Earth.

I've taken this line of thinking in accepting the style of the shattered moon. On the one hand I see it as magic and on the other I think of the above and everything is fine.

As the OP relates to R1 and I can't remember how the moon looked exactly in R1 (I saw Smack's time-lapse) then perhaps folks don't mind so much now.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.