Gathering wood - how easy is it?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Doomgrin, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Avatar

What is the system like for gathering wood? is it like:

Archeage - just grow the trees yourself (snowballs chance in Hades of finding it in the wild), or
    EQ2 - look for nodes of fallen logs, or
    Landmark - if it looks like a tree, you chop it for wood

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  2. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Special kind of wood giving tree node style unfortunately.

3. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

For now

4. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Avatar

I would like to see it be more like Landmark, but with weight being a huge factor. Sure you can chop down trees like a mad-axer, but you can only carry so much. You need mules, carts, horses etc, but it should also not take the clearing of a rain-forest to make a single chair.

5. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

A single log does go a long way, but crafting is all still basic and the details have not been hammered out. I too think wight should be a factor while harvesting resources like it was in UO.

As of now, there was talk of it being changed, but you are only allowed to chop down certain trees and they do fall and re spawn later. Currently you cannot just clear a forest of all wood trees.

6. Margard

Margard Avatar

At the moment - as its been mentioned - you chop down a tree node: recognizable by a color ... the tree looks orange-est ... as opposed to vibrant green of the majority of the forest

7. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I agree, some work needs to be done with harvesting wood. However, as it stands currently, the availability of it is quite common. While not every tree is harvestable, in just a few minutes I can chop all I need for any simple task. Of course right now, we aren't using weight limits, so we could carry a ton of logs. I suspect that number will have to be tweaked a bit. Don't want to make three runs for a chair, but shouldn't be able to carry a palisade either.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I assume you haven't played any of the previous 5 releases, so you will need to goto the town of Owl's Head to see the crafting pavilion to see/use all the available crafting tables, do a vendor buy with the NPC you find there (I suggest you are in single player mode, as multi players tend to kill all the NPCs, plus you have a greater chance of getting all the materials for crafting, just look in all the chests around to find good stuff).

Purchase all your gathering tools from him, you may have to craft some Long swords to sell back to him for some gold (all the crafting tools are in the chest next to him).

Once you have all your gathering tools, click-drag them and you're tool belt will show, drop them in whatever slot you want, now your ready to gather.

Enter a forest hex, and find a tree with a straight trunk, no low branches, and red/orange leaves (clue: if you can't walk through it, it's probably a tree you can harvest), press the corresponding # key for your ax while near a harvest able tree, and you will auto dis-arm your weapon, and equipped your ax, and walk to the tree and chop it, then re-arm your weapon, all automatically, so don't worry about dragging stuff around. Once you have seen the type of tree, it will be easy to find them.

So far, you can only harvest Ore, Logs, Cotton, and Hides. Soon to be added are Cooking & Alchemy, crafting is "discovery" based, so experiment to find new recipes. Or cheat with http://sotawiki.net/sota/Main_Page

9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

@doomgrin
    The tool belt will show when you move mouse to bottom of screen, if you click the centre arrow it will change to the combat bar.
    You start with some recipes in your recipe book 'R' to view. Just stand at the correct crafting table with all ingredients in your bag & dclick the recipe in your book.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  10. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Avatar

Yes 22-May will be my first time in game... I took the 23rd off for an even longer weekend :)

Thanks for the information!

SmokerKGB and Margard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.