Not A MMO? Why Should I Buy From The Store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ahroo, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahroo

Ahroo Avatar

Hi all!

Here is a quote from the about page.

"Players will adventure in an interactive world where their choices have consequences, ethical paradoxes give them pause, and they play a vital part in weaving their own story into the immersive world and lore surrounding them. Play options will include solo, friends only, or open multiplayer via the Selective Multiplayer system. Players can specialize in a wide range of combat and non-combat skills, provided by a robust, classless skill system, and full-featured crafting and housing mechanics."

Since this game is more Single Player then MMO why should I buy items like houses or pets? No one will ever see anything I do most likely, MMO is all about being with other people in a living world. Help me understand why this isn't a MMO and I should buy items?

If this was like a normal MMO where there are 5000 players on a server (say example West) and I create a house, tons of people will see it and I will be showing it off to other players. When I buy a pet and I have it follow me others will notice it.

Thanks!

2. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Pets are for your personal enjoyment and houses are static across all instances when playing in multiplayer mode. Of course, if you choose to play in single player mode, that's your own doing. ;)

enderandrew and tradyblix like this.
  3. selbie

selbie Avatar

It's a technicality. It is almost an MMO. You cannot see ALL players on the server at the same time like in a true MMO so they can't call it an MMO. However, everything is certainly set in a persistent world. So your property will exist for all players to see on all instances of the game because there will be no server shards.

Only in Singleplayer Offline mode will you not get the benefit of the persistent world events.

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah, The max players per hex is currently 64 I believe, but it could go higher. Plus there will be sorting algorithms active that will try to sort players into your instances that are people with similar play styles (pvp or not) , friends, party members.

I'm pretty sure none of this is obvious in this release. This is like a pretty version of R5 to me.

Ahroo likes this.
  5. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

And a lot of those items are rewards for further contribution to the game's development in addition to your initial pledge.

6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

So in essence once you place a house in multiplayer online i will be able to see your house, vendor etcc.. eventually.

7. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I'm trying to get Ingame and find a place to plop a plot I intend on buying but since I cannot get Ingame I'm holding off on upgrading

8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Did you re-update shroud of the avatar, or do you just not have access to it at this time?

9. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I'm updating now outside of Safezone since nothing works in it anymore. Updating fine. Hopefully I don't get a blue "unsupported screen" again. It's cuz I was fiddling with resolutions and it landed on one unsupported one when I had to alt tab task manager kill it. :p hope that makes sense

10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

try medium settings on graphics, it may help, I had pc that would go blue because the graphic were too much for it, i fixed it by getting another graphics card, XFX graphics card works well for not being top of the line it its pretty decent. I havent had as crash since switching out graphics cards. A decent one will cost you $150.00 from www.Newegg.com

11. Ahroo

Ahroo Avatar

Thanks for the explanation, makes a bit more sense looking into how it will work. So in essence there is no traditional random grouping to do things or a "/General Chat", kinda need to know everyone before hand.

12. Kirthag

Kirthag Avatar

That's a "yes & no" Ahroo.

You can log into MultiPlayer and hang out in Owlshead near the crafting station or the tavern. You will meet all kinds of people and players are constantly moving in, out and around that area. You can team up, party up for more adventures, strike up a conversation, have roof-top leaping contests, etc. SotA is not as sandbox as UO is, but there is still a lot of room to adventure and have fun.

Just remember, this game is still under heavy development and is in PRE-ALPHA stages still. Huge progress is being made although there is still a whole lot of development to be had.

Thanks for joining us!

Ahroo and Olahorand like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.