Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Early R6 Experience on OS X the worst yet

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by Floors, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah, so I can confirm that in SPO mode in a Window, I'm not having any graphical corruption issues, and that it hasn't crashed to the desktop yet. Will continue testing. If it make it full screen it will crash.

So I think the problems are related to full screen mode on Mavericks for this build....

*edit* moon gate leaving from Owl's head will still crash the game for me. So yeah, there are problems. I can essentially run around owl's head unless anyone knows a dev command that can get me to the map.

Other than that, I think I'll have to hang my hat on this release, at least as far as OS X testing is concerned. I'm tempted to bootcamp windows 8.1 and install the game via windows just to play, but that is a lot of time and I'd rather play Bioshock Infinite atm :)

2. Floors

Floors Avatar

That's only on OS X build 22. It's fixed in 23 and up... or at least it's back to normal.

Here is how lighting on OS X looks now - note the messed up character box

[​IMG]

3. MogwaiX

MogwaiX Avatar

So here goes.

1. Performance is still awful. Low fps, constant lagging. There's absolutely ZERO reason for a game like this to be this slow on a 2,9ghz i5 + Geforce GTX660M. Zero.
    And I don't mean to be an ass about this, this is just how it goes.

2. Constant crashes. Crashes on area change, crashes when changing fullscreen/windowed -mode. Crashes when doing absolutely nothing.

3. That rainbow -like graphics bug in the horizon is still there.

4. I like the upgraded graphics. Scenery looks good. Characters... Not so much. Still plastic dolls.

5. Changing the shadow distance does not seem to affect fps at all, or very little.

6. The new login screens look way better. If only the "Play" -screen would be updated or removed too completely. It's not necessary, and it's a completely useless extra screen.

7. Still can't paste my password on the login screen. Or you can, but it pastes something very wrong in the field. Please fix this ASAP.

I would also suggest OSX -players to NOT go bootcamp on this. Because if you do, why would the creators bother fixing the OSX -client? Arenanet any GW2 is a great example how OSX -client can just be forgotten.

Jo_ and tradyblix like this.
  4. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Give it time. I've been going back and forth from my Mac laptop and my Windows box and comparing. The Windows version, right now, works and looks much better. Portalarium does need to get on the ball with testing on the Mac side and give it some love. The artists are all using 3ds max, which suggests to me that they're all pretty much using Windows boxes.

5. Beli

Beli Avatar

I am a windows user and the bright screen happens to me when alt tabing, It does slowly adjust back to normal

6. Floors

Floors Avatar

Its pretty depressing because they had it working okay on the mac for like 5 releases and it just seems this time around it was forgotten :(

7. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

I can't remember if they have a source code license for Unity or not; if so they may be doing some C++ level hacking, which makes it really hard to keep all three versions operating similarly. It does feel like some compatibility issues were rushed this time around.

8. Tenuki

Tenuki Avatar

Unplayable on my mac this release - fine the last two. Hate going backwards - trying to be patient.

tradyblix likes this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

If anyone at Port needs me to run over there and show my experience I would be happy to do it ;)

10. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Alert the presses: if you are on Mac, be sure to patch up to 25, which just came out today. 24, as everyone noted, was unplayable on most Macs. 25 drastically improved performance on my MacBook Pro 13" w/integrated graphics. It's a night and day difference. I am no longer running for my Windows box to play "for real."

I have no idea if they specifically gave the Mac side some love, or fixed some other performance bugs which incidentally improved Mac performance.

Of course, your mileage may very... my old 15" MacBook with the better NVIDIA graphics chip bit the dust so I can't test it on that.

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

My main problem wasn't performance so much as random crashes and not being able to leave via moongates or paths without loading failure.

Yeah It's still not any better for me on my macbook pro. I still can't leave via moon gate or path without the game getting stuck loading and I've deleted my character, I've done everything.

I'm done testing this until a couple releases later and hopefully portalarium gets my crash feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.