Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I need more warning at edge of map

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by cosmicvoyager, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmicvoyager

cosmicvoyager Avatar

Greetings,

I need more warning I am at the edge of the map.

I often cannot stop in time and have to wait for the overland map to load, reenter and wait for the scene to load again, and I am not where I left.

I take my finger off the forward key when I see the screen getting dark, but I am often to late.

Thanks

2. Mata

Mata Avatar

Yes, I would like also.

Time Lord and Olahorand like this.
  3. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Or it just resets the forward & you have to take finger off movement key & press again to proceed out or ask and wait for a n/y

Time Lord and Siriustar like this.
  4. Willard

Willard Avatar

I agree. I just walked to the end of town looking for something, was going to turn right at the fence to continue my search and all of a sudden I was in the overland map. Once back in town, I had to start at the beginning again--only a bit wiser!

Time Lord and Siriustar like this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I think there is enough of the warning, at least for me, but I would love if the game remembered location where I left and when I reenter that hex I would start at that point.

Tarsin, Time Lord and Olahorand like this.
  6. Foobard

Foobard Avatar

Maybe they could make a "Leave? Y/N" message to prevent this. It could be toggleable for people who think it would be immersion breaking.

7. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

They should wall or fence off the edge of every map.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Willard

Willard Avatar

The area I was in (The main town) had a large wooden fence at the end of a path. I never expected to be warped to the world map.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Hope the dev's note this one for fixing.

Time Lord and Willard like this.
  10. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I agree. particularly since going o the offworld map crashed the game a lot.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

I like the ideas for an optional "leave zone?" query (what if they keep walking and don't respond to the query?)
    and/or stopping the player walking forward (could be missed if they walk sideways or backward)

I'm not keen on the idea of having every boundary walled or fenced. To me that is very immersion breaking and gives me the feeling of being "fenced in".

Time Lord likes this.
  12. selbie

selbie Avatar

One thing they could include is a road sign labelling nearby towns on it at each exit point. That way you know you are leaving the zone if you see it.
    I like the stone ruin arches for some areas, but it doesn't really work for all of them such as a town or city.

Tarsin and Time Lord like this.
  13. Foobard

Foobard Avatar

The problem with road signs is that a lot of us haven't bothered to learn Runeic. Or whatever they're calling it.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. selbie

selbie Avatar

It could read anything really, because it doesn't matter which exit you take you will see exactly where you want to go on the overland map.

If it is in runic, there can be smaller english translation below just like some city road signs in real life. That will have the added benefit of helping players memorise the cipher :)

Time Lord and foobard like this.
  15. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

In R5 when I had a house in Holtrot on top of the hill there was a runic sign that said "danger" pointing toward a back exit

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Zeke_Dyter

Zeke_Dyter Avatar

+1 I did feel it faded to black far too quickly in some instances causing me to exit to OM. A leave conformation would be nice I agree.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

putting a leave notification might annoy some players.... to avoid further annoyances and make the game more convenient why not put visual markers to indicate the edge of a scene... maybe a semi transparent borderlike line...

Time Lord and Olahorand like this.
  18. Foobard

Foobard Avatar

In certain professional sports, there are glowing lines on the field (er in the televised version LOL) that tell the viewer where certain action items are. There could be toggleable lines on the ground that could indicate the boundary.
    Or we could just wait until we get the minimap, maybe that will indicate the boundary with no extra coding required.
    I'm currently playing Dragon Age Origins (it was on Steam Super Sale) and the game seems super expansive with no boundaries, until you try to cross a stream or jump over a rock. We can now swim and jump, so SotA can't rely on old tricks like that for boundaries.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I agree -- it's not exactly implied where the boundaries are, so I found myself accidentally zoning too. I like the previously mentioned idea of being given an option to return where you'd left.

Rather than directly interfere with open world visuals, why don't we expand the utility of our present UI? I think that in doing this, we'd find that we've accomplished three things:

1) What we wanted (a warning)
    2) It's not annoying to players.
    3) No new UI, no compromising of the beautiful world view.

My idea is this:

Let's use the compass as an indicator!

[​IMG]

As you're running directly towards the border (or just getting close), perhaps the compass could indicate that you're about to zone out!

Activated at the furthest possible distance, the compass's color would begin shifting from gold to red, beginning in the center. By starting in the center, it's less noticeable and thereby less annoying. It's also just enough to let players who are trying to find edges see that they're getting close.

But as you get closer, that red indicator would start moving out from the center and towards the outward edges.

By the time it reaches those edges, you're pretty much ready to zone and - as red has been proven to be the most eye-catching color to the human eye - you'll have very easily realized this.

This is an effect that boosts player awareness, but it is neither an intrusive nor immersion-breaking feature that doesn't add UI. Heck, let's even have the color change customizable. :p

Very similar to the visual 'Shout' recharge mechanic in Skyrim.

selbie, Tarsin, Willard and 2 others like this.
  20. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I think it would be cool to use some kind of indicator that was part of the scene, instead of a special effect that's more UI driven. For me, the special effects on the UI break immersion. I like @selbie's idea for road sign labeling near exits. If the zone exits/entries had a more identifiable landmark I think that would be awesome. They wouldn't all have to be the same landmark, some zones could use road signs, or a rickety fence and gate, or a town crier, or a wandering NPC near the exit/entry to warn you of your travels. Since it's conceivable that a traveler might have some kind of enchanted compass, I like @crossbowsoda's compass idea too.

Time Lord and crossbowsoda like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.