Gathering/Crafting in a Dual-View World

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by sslaw, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sslaw

sslaw Avatar

How will gathering/crafting in a dual-view world work?

Will there be random instance bubbles in the main world?
    Bubbles for fishing, wildgame hunting, mining, etc?

Will other players be able to join in in our gathering bubbles?

2. Hightower

Hightower Avatar

One thought for mining, you could mine along the mountains on the world map.
    If there are random encounters with nasty critters, as you are mining, you might get ambushed, causing a scenario to open. Randomly placing you somewhere inside the scenario location, said critters then attack you ( wolves, trolls, orcs, whatever ).
    Could also perhaps find a mine, with higher resource quantities.

Could use this with other gathering resources,
    lumberjacks - forest, low level fishing in lakes, higher level fishing on the coast or from ships.

3. sslaw

sslaw Avatar

So, gathering would occur in world view?
    That view where there's a giant Avatar stomping around?

I don't know...

4. Some Dude

Some Dude Avatar

I would imagine that at least some crafting (e.g. blacksmithing, but not necessarily something like fletching) would take place at a home or crafting center within a town. However, I'm not sure how gathering might take place.

For example, it seems odd that gathering might take place on the world view, since the idea of that map, as I understand it, is as a sort of fast travel method between nearby points on the map. Thus, the idea of using that view as the one for gathering materials is rather unusual at best.

I suppose that random encounters on the map, similar to the gypsy camps, might exist for various gathering areas. These encounters could be located near where the resource types are expected to be found (e.g. herbs in the forests/plains ore near rocky areas, fish near lakes/rivers/oceans). Much like Zarf suggested, these encounters could have differences in difficulty based on their location as well.

5. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

I think it makes most sense to have areas on the "world map" where you enter a mine or mountain range (for mining) and that "instance" changes every time you populate it. The same goes for forests, and beaches where lumberjacking and fishing can be done respectively.

6. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I have to agree with Mines, Lumber Camps, Piers/Fishing vessels as the areas for those activities. By the same token I could see going the Dragon Age direction for herbs in that they would occur naturally in the various 3D areas as you visit them.

If/how they will do different levels/rarities of resources I'd like to see as well. So far it's chance based in UO or zone based in level games.

I hope the mining/lumberjacking areas will be more like UO and less like the 3D games (WoW, LotRO) so that it feels like you're mining the mountain or chopping the tree and not harvesting a "node".

If herbs are involved, then they'll obviously have to use the "node" system, but that's to be expected for that.

7. Anuuk

Anuuk Avatar

Even though it's logical to think is someone is out in the world say mining deep down a mine shaft that there would be perils he could come upon but I remember Richard saying he specifically wanted to allow players to conduct in various non combat skills including if not limited to various crafting..

Of course though as I write this.. I already answered my own question.. Mining is not crafting.. so yeah, perhaps those that choose to acquire the raw goods will be likely to encounter various risks that go along with being out in the wild, but the actual crafting would likely occur in the safety of ones house or at least in town and if crafter's choose not to acquire their own raw goods then they could simply buy them off of other players.

8. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I believe gathering resources would NOT be done in the world map, but in a Point of Interest/instance.

This means there are two options for getting resources. One is when walking in the world view you spot a mine, you enter that instance and can explore this new mine. Here you will find ore and ONLY ore. Maybe there's a random encounter or some monsters in the instance too.... You might also see 10 other players that are all trying to get the same ore from the same mine.

OR...

The alternative (which I prefer) would be that ANY point of interest you go into from the world view spawns random resources from that geographical area. So let's say you went into an orc fort point of interest that's in a wooded area. In here, you will find some orcs but also scattered throughout the instance is wood that can be harvested and maybe even some stones you can mine.

If a friend or other player logs into the zone you're at, maybe they're not interested in mining but want to kill some orcs. You two might join up so that you could venture deeper into the orc camp and find rarer resources.

9. maleficum

maleficum Avatar

You need to have option to harvest anywhete.Simply add a button rhat will alloe to mine if u are near mountains.chop trees if u are in the forest.etc

10. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

"The alternative (which I prefer) would be that ANY point of interest you go into from the world view spawns random resources from that geographical area. So let?s say you went into an orc fort point of interest that?s in a wooded area. In here, you will find some orcs but also scattered throughout the instance is wood that can be harvested and maybe even some stones you can mine.

If a friend or other player logs into the zone you?re at, maybe they?re not interested in mining but want to kill some orcs. You two might join up so that you could venture deeper into the orc camp and find rarer resources."

That sounds really fun.

11. Ieolus

Ieolus Avatar

I would hope that an orc camp isn't just randomly placed, but is in that particular spot for a real reason... guarding a valuable mine, strategic choke point, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.