Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Suggestion for Runically challenged.

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by Miganarchine, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

As I found myself constantly minimising my Sota game to look at a jpg of Runic symbol translations, How about an in game Runic translation window? Cheers.

And I noticed that Sota Runic has been changed from the original Ultima Runic, So confusion there!

Swanman, Jivalax Azon and Gracekain like this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Oh, nice.

They could add it as a reference page at the front of the Journal maybe. :)

3. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

be careful, you will be labeled a wow/ easy mode lover with suggestions like that!

Personally i would love if they did away with runic altogether.

4. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I see the other thread lol ;0)
    I like my game as a game, If I need to translate then it should be in game, I have my old Ultima books and they have a translator in them, So why not put it in game. Cheers Gracekain.

In the journal is good but you can't bring your journal up in the 2D map system.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Pish. The Ultima VI had the cipher noted down in the hard-copy book that came with the game.

Makes sense it would be in-game nowadays, being a new-age and all. :)

Why not ? What's stopping you ?

The fact that the devs have not implemented it yet ? Doesn't sound much of an impediment to me. :)

Jivalax Azon and Miganarchine like this.
  6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Perhaps a talking horse will translate the runic for you....one episode too late.

7. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

My kingdom for a Smith! :D

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  8. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Brilliant, Your at a town sign, Summon your mount click on the sign and the horse says, Your in Braemar you silly twat!

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  9. Yetok

Yetok Avatar

I like the runic. It adds character to the world. I would hate to see it go away completely, but I would support an in-game translator for people who are unable/unwilling to learn a new alphabet.

royalsexy and Jivalax Azon like this.
  10. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

I'll be honest I can see both sides.

Back in the day, playing titles like U6 and 7, it added flavor and was in fact a sort of in-game puzzle unto itself. It was very cool....BUT the "pace" of those games was decidedly different from today. I mean, we had pages of notes written down of things we had figured out (potion colors....moongate destinations....who sold what reagents for what price) so it was no big deal to walk up to a building and stop to figure out what the sign above the door read. We were constantly referring "off screen" anyway.

I can see how today in a more, shall way say "dynamic" game it might seem trite or bothersome to many people. I guess it comes down to how extensively its used. I mean, its not like the entire NPC dialogue system uses it. The odd road sign, For Sale marker, label on a crypt, etc. shouldn't be that big a deal, plus I PROMISE you, after a few hours of game play you will be surprised at the retention you suddenly seem to have for such things. :)

Olahorand and Jivalax Azon like this.
  11. Yetok

Yetok Avatar

I completely agree. It has been at least 10 years since I played UO and probably at least 15 since I played any of the single-player Ultima games, but after a few days in the first pre-alpha release my brain started translating the runic without needing to find a reference.

royalsexy and Jivalax Azon like this.
  12. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I love the runic in game. Love the signs in it. But, I too have some difficulty reading it. Can I learn it, sure. It isn't even a challenge really. But then again, English is my native language. We have a lot of players that are not native English speakers. And consider our Russian friends who have already learned another alphabet just to read English. Asking them to translate runic to English then mentally translate it to Russian is a bit much. (сумасшедший) So, while I like seeing it, and will certainly learn it eventually, an in game translator would be nice. Even an option to turn off the Runic would be well used.

*When discussions of languages come to the table I am reminded of the old joke:
    Q: What do you call someone who speaks several languages?
    A: Multilingual.
    Q: What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
    A: Bilingual.
    Q: What do you call a person who only speaks one language?
    A: An American.

13. Net

Net Avatar

That would make sense, and I would liek that, but it would not help on the map unless you could open journal there.

I can not speak for others, but it is easier for me to read runic than to decipher some slang terms written by players. And bad grammar (e.g. you're=your, fortunately I learned about that recently, but I am mostly surprised that some native English speakers *cough*Americans*cough* use really bad grammar which is really hard to decipher for me because I am used to written form of English and I have hard time to connect similarly sounding words). It is for another discussion though.

Miganarchine and Jivalax Azon like this.
  14. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Runes are nice to look at but not very intuitive for the player.
    For the enthusiasts I am sure the runes are splendid and they might not need anything more.

But there really should be an option in the settings that allows for a popup-box to be visible in your selected language.
    A box that pops up on mouseover of the rune that types out what the runes says.

Just like the little boxes that pops up on corpses that says "loot" (which I actually hope are temporary) and the boxes on the small boats you click on to get to the frigate and galleon.

Olahorand and Jivalax Azon like this.
  15. Net

Net Avatar

ᛁ᛫ᚻᚫᚢᛖ᛫ᚳᚻᚫᚾᚷᛖᛞ᛫ᛗᚥ᛫ᚾᚫᛗᛖ᛫ᛏᚩ᛫ᚩᛈᛈᚩᛋᛖ᛫ᛏᚻᛁᛋ᛫ᛋᚢᚷᚷᛖᛋᛏᛁᚩᚾ ᛭ ᛁ᛫ᚫᛗ᛫ᚫᛚᛋᚩ᛫ᛋᚩᚱᚱᚥ᛫ᚠᚩᚱ᛫ᚾᚩᛏ᛫ᚢᛋᛁᚾᚷ᛫ᛏᚻᛖ᛫ᚳᚩᚱᚱᛖᚳᛏ᛫ᛋᚩᛏᚨ᛫ᚳᚻᚨᚱᚨᚳᛏᛖᚱ᛫ᚠᚩᚱ᛫ᛏᚻᛖ᛫ᛚᛖᛏᛏᛖᚱ᛬ V

ᛁ᛫ᚳᚨᚾ᛫ᚱᛖᚫᛞ᛫ᚱᚢᚾᛁᚳ᛫ᚺᚢᚾᛞᚱᛖᛞ᛫ᛏᛁᛗᛖᛋ᛫ᚠᚨᛋᛏᛖᚱ᛫ᛏᚻᚨᚾ᛫ᛁ᛫ᚳᚨᚾ᛫ᚹᚱᛁᛏᛖ᛫ᛁᛏ :D / :(

16. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Your post looks like this on my screen :
    [​IMG]

17. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Looks different here - so your browser may not have the nore international encoding options set ...

18. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Most likely. If I copy the text it actually looks proper, which is how I translated it. :)

19. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah, I know... it happens. That is why I would prefer runic font on this site, it would not most likely work for mobile phones (they would see normal characters). Howevery it would be much easier to type; manually copy pasting every character is really time demanding:D

NRaas and Jivalax Azon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.