Highlights and Names above heads ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OeysteinLO

OeysteinLO Avatar

How about being able to choose from several methods of nametagging? You can get nametag to show up when hovering over character with mouse, you can get nametags always on, or always off and maybe even control what information the nametags show, like or just . But you should only know what they do and who they are after you have talked to them.

I would like to suggest another option as well: No nametags at all, but important characters and merchant NPC's and such can get a mark on the minimap after you have talked to them. The mark will only show up when you are close enough to see them on the minimap, no childish arrows pointing in their direction. If the characters move after you have talked to them, the mark stays on the spot they where then, it doesn't follow them around.

2. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

Agreed, there should be no nameplates above an NPC's head. As far as players I think nameplates should either be removed, optional, or at the very least be turned off if they are hiding/using a "stealth" skill. I think it will be clear by what they are standing near and the attire they have on to distinguish between NPCs.

3. rhysling

rhysling Avatar

I like the idea of the game letting you press a key to have tags appear, and even better if tags only appear for those NPCs you've interacted with. I'd be ok with a tag showing what would normally be obvious through observation (for instance, blacksmiths or bakers), but if vendors are in normal places that might not be necessary.

4. SorenDat

SorenDat Avatar

It seems that I agree with most of you and would like to be able to turn off anything that appears above characters heads. Part of the fun of playing the Ultima series for me was finding out the names and occupations of the NPCs and keeping track of their information.(yes, with paper and pencil)

5. Sitara

Sitara Avatar

having an "incoming names" type of option would be nice also. leave the names off generally, but when someone or something comes into your view, having their name pop up for a couple seconds like it was in UO would be nice.

6. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

My sentiment is that nameplate floaties should be there only if I have a reason to know your name or you mine. Let us have an /introduce mechanic that allows us to exchange names. Or if I am attacked I should gain that character name in red over his head so I can in future be warned. If I engage in trade with a player-merchant I should gain his name and he mine. But if I am walking about the town I should not see everyone's name unless I have met them all. And if I have met them all, then if I see a character with no floaty name I will know he is a stranger and new, and I must go learn who he might be and see if there might be some way I can be of service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.