Deeper Character Creation and Customization's a MUST

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by veradin, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veradin

veradin Avatar

I know how Dark Starr has been talking about how the devs want to bring the game up to the visual standards of its contemporaries, and I agree that needs to be addressed, but I think a more fundamental issue is the simplicity and general lack of content in the character creation as of now. Comparable mmos are now offering dozens upon dozens of customization options, from Sellion and chin adjustment to eye angle, cheek protrustion and the like. I can see no valid argument against adding such features as it only enriches the visual differences between the people of Brittania and allows us to 'own' our characters. I would add to this some physicality modification options, like musculature/fat level and a reasonable height feature to really allow players to create some widely distinguishable heroes and heroines.

Of course the player models are going to need to be considerably improved for this to happen, and we all know people are barking for more hairstyles (some that actually use physics instead of just sticking at weird angles would be a welcome departure from the norm!) and tattoos, but I think first there needs to be a robust character customization system in play.

Ideally, I'd love to have a Fallout (or Wasteland, or any number of rpgs) style creation system where you can arrange your base stats around an archetype as well as select starting skills and maybe even perks.

All of these things would extremely enrich the character building experience and are sorely lacking in the game as of now.

Montaigne, Kheldras, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  2. Margard

Margard Avatar

The only valid argument against this is money :) ... they just may not have enough to justify all the details - but I maybe they can slide ones that can add some uniqueness to all are characters ... like a "face mole placer" ... or something that is not so details but adds something unique

Time Lord likes this.
  3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes... I'm pretty sure an update to the character customization system is forthcoming.

I have the utmost confidence that the devs do not intend to leave the facial system as simply a "Nose" slider.

Not sure where it fits into the schedule though. :)

Montaigne and Time Lord like this.
  4. Margard

Margard Avatar

I think the nose slider is funny ... out of all the things to test early on .. lol ... it be interesting if they added an ear slider .. he he

Montaigne, Time Lord and Duke NRaas like this.
  5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Yes please, more hair, beards, glasses, pipes etc...

6. Margard

Margard Avatar

Glasses would be nice .... a monocle

7. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Though I agree with the need for better character customization, I believe the Devs had mentioned wanting to wait for a Unity 5 release before putting too much effort into this. Apparently Unity 5 will offer much better features and/or controls for work of this nature.

Montaigne, Time Lord and Margard like this.
  8. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I like to be able to tweak the look of my characters, but sometimes it gets a little bit too much when there are just so many sliders for everything! I guess some people like the ability to angle their ears and eyebrows just so. I want a decent-looking character, but I also want to play the game - not spend an hour in the character-creator. :)

The devs are aware of the current dissatisfaction with the character models (there have been, uh, just one or two threads about it... ;) ), and I have faith that they intend to improve this a lot before release... probably not to the extent that we see in some other games - budget and all that - but they will be much better in the future. Getting the basic systems working first is more important though, IMO, and they can play with the character models once they have a stable game. :)

9. XPorter

XPorter Avatar

Please, please, PLEASE... update the facial hair as it currently looks like plastiseam stuck on the models. I understand that these are just placeholders for the alpha phase, right, but this is something that definitely needs replacing or major enhancement.

Love the game so far though, keep up the amazing work!

P.s. Richard "Lord British" Garriott has never disappointed when it comes to visuals, so I am sure this game will look amazing come release.

10. Nephrite

Nephrite Avatar

I agree. Seriously, if I intend on playing the same character for years (which I do) I want it to be EXACTLY what I want. It's an element of immersion that can really make a difference. Cheek bones, shoulder width, hair, (which I know has already been requested a billion times, lol) and maybe a tattoo system where you can design them yourself?

11. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

Or if someone can create a facial recognition program that will translate a face captured via webcam into the in-game avatar.
    But I would be happy with the "face mole placer" or perhaps a face dirt generator.

Montaigne and Margard like this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Black Desert character creator video posted in 3...2....1....

draykorinee likes this.
  13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

14. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I might be wrong but I think the nose slider was just a test and more will be added as development moves forward...

NRaas likes this.
  15. Jambo

Jambo Avatar

I do think a deep character customization really adds in to the immersion. Walking round with a generic character looking almost the same as everybody else is never a good feeling.

I am yet to play the game and test everything out. I can't wait!

16. Kheldras

Kheldras Avatar

Yes please!

17. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

When will unity 5 release? Will it be before game launches or will this upgrade not be available until release to then expect upgraded in the latter expansions.

Also height and muscular/heavy sliders I feel should totally be integrated. <];D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.