I Wish

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Radicast, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radicast

Radicast Avatar

I wish that you could take all the scripting from UO and move it to the 3D world you have now you would all ready have the next best game right there. the new generation of people who never played UO would have there minds blown and the people who have played UO would just love the fresh new look.

its to bad that the game that was released soo very long ago raised that bar so high that literally no other MMO has come close to the diversity that UO has to offer.

but im crossing my fingers that Shroud of the Avatar will in fact deliver the game that I and many people have been waiting for for a very long time, But from what I have seen so far its not shaping up to be.

I Can Only Wish.

2. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I counter your Wish with a Wish that this NOT be some UO clone. :p I love the direction the game is heading in!

Brian, SmokerKGB, smack and 9 others like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

No, I don't wish for that. I don't want a UO clone. I want what was promised during Kickstarter. Strong emphasis on story, single- and multiplayer - a spiritual successor to Ultima, not Ultima Online.

SmokerKGB, smack, cartodude and 6 others like this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Ultima generally has been about the story of one hero and in later games about experiencing this story in world that felt alive. Every NPC had his/her own personality and background, the interactivity was enormously high (baking bread, moving objects), the companions were like friends that traveled with you...

Ultima Online was one of the first MMORPGs which did away with (most) NPCs, a real story and companions and instead concentrated on living in a highly interactive sandbox world together with thousands of other players.

So if you combine the two you get a highly interactive sandbox world with a deep story, single and multiplayer, complex NPCs and companions. This would be the spiritual successor to Ultima.

smack, Thisguy, cartodude and 6 others like this.
  5. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

...I was little bit taller
    I wish I was a baller
    I wish I had a girl who looked good
    I would call her
    I wish I had a rabbit in a hat wi..

Anyway.. I totally agree with "raised that bar so high that literally no other MMO has come close to the diversity that UO has to offer."

In retrospect UO did have it's flaws tho - I honestly believe that SotA will be everything most people hope it will be.

smack, Thisguy and Asclepius like this.
  6. Ara

Ara Avatar

Richard Garriott called SotA a spiritual successor to Ultima Online.

http://i.imgur.com/e5BgsFm.png

Are you claiming he didnt mean what he said?

jondavis likes this.
  7. Ara

Ara Avatar

Seems to me that Richard Garriott himself see SotA as a as he say himself a "worthy spiritual successor to Ultima Online.

I know the difference btw these games and SotA is a spiritual successor to UO and the Ultima series.

You claiming it isnt a spiritual successor to UO dont mean a thing. I believe in what developers of this game say and not Ariella on the SotA forums.

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

On the Kickstarter website it says: "Shroud of the Avatar is the “spiritual successor” to Richard’s previous work in the FRP genre. Our primary objectives are to tell a story even more compelling than Ultimas IV-VII, create a virtual world more interactive than Ultima VII, develop deep rich multi-player capabilities beyond combat akin to Ultima Online, and offer a bold new approach to integrate them with “Selective Multi-Player”."

So yes, it will be a spiritual successor to Ultima Online as well as a spiritual successor to the single player Ultimas. Thus the spiritual successor to "Ultima".

9. Ara

Ara Avatar

Richard called it a spiritual successor to Ultima Online, not just Ultima.

I trust in his vision for the game, a "worthy successor to Ultima Online".

It is after all his own words.

10. Ara

Ara Avatar

SotA is a successor to Ultima Online and the Ultima series, Richard own words, so wishing for a game as OP does that is close to that old UO game is not being confused, it is expecting something developers themself call the the game, a spiritual successor to Ultima Online and the Ultima series. Some seem to easily forget the Ultima Online part of this game.

Calling it a spiritual successor to the Ultima series only is wrong.

I agree with OP, a game very close to UO with better graphics would be my perfect game. Consensual PvP like UO Renaissance and a full blown risk vs reward game with full loot. Consequences!!

11. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

..th a bat.
    A 6-4 Impalla!

Lol!

12. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Ultima Online is part of the Ultima series. When people talk about SotA being a successor to Ultima, they're generally including Ultima Online while trying to be clear that they're not only talking about Ultima Online.

Sir Cabirus, docdoom77 and Alexander like this.
  13. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

And some easily forget the Ultima series part of this game. :)

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  14. Ara

Ara Avatar

No they dont.

15. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Really? Actually, some who have played Ultima Online only are generally unaware that there actually was an Ultima series.

16. Ara

Ara Avatar

Most that talk about the Ultima series dont include Ultima Online.

Most also claim that developers never said SotA would be a spiritual successor to Ultima Online.

Maxe likes this.
  17. Ara

Ara Avatar

Since SotA have a very high average age on their followers i believe most know about the Ultima series.

18. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

I started playing UO because I loved the Ultima series so much... duh.

19. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Possibly, or possibly not. Neither one of us could know for certain what the percentage is.

20. Ara

Ara Avatar

Same here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.