Is OPO inviting Pk'ers in?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Xandra7, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squee

Squee Avatar

@ChosenPredator It's because players can generally outsmart an AI. It might take practice, but they can do it. However, there are people (like myself) who will generally always be bad against an actual thinking human being.

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

@Ultima Afcionado, there is no reason to have PvE players not participate in OPO, given the SotA system architecture. PvE players just see PvE player, and PvP players just see PvP players.

I think that is by far the best solution.

3. cheshire

cheshire Avatar

@UA: So, someone not interested in PvP but in the social aspects of the game should opt out of the larger social aspect of the game or stay stuck in town, as far as you're concerned?

Anyway, I had understood it the way Owain is describing it, is this not the case?

4. Owain

Owain Avatar

@Cheshire, it makes sense, and from what the devs have said, I think that is how it will be, but the devs have also said some contradictory things, so the actual situation is a little muddy. On the whole, though, I think how I've described it is how it will be, but there may be some exceptions for things like options PvP quests (which are fine by me), and possible PvP geographic areas (which I don't particularly support).

5. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Cheshire:

There's going to be some sort of slider mechanism, where players can choose to play PvP or not. I guess there are going to be incentives to encourage players to PvP, but it will not be necessary. Owain is right, the devs are all over the place when it comes to specifics for PvP. But, one thing remains certain that this game will primarily be a single player game; at least that's what the devs tell us this time. So, we'll see.

6. Sirinan

Sirinan Avatar

@UA - I have no idea where you get that this is primarily a single player game, given that RG and co have said time and time again that open play is where the game will really shine, and that is where they want to encourage everyone who plays to go.

7. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Sirinan:

Ignored, let me know when you go read the Kickstarter page.

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

@Siranan, if you listen to the most recent Dev chat, both Chris and Richard say that they think the default play mode should be Open Player Online, but they are making the game flexible enough to permit FPO, friend play online, and SPO, single player online, and even single player offline. Those modes are not the primary design goal of the game, however, OPO is.

9. Sirinan

Sirinan Avatar

@Owain - isn't that what I just said?

@UA - No idea what you want me to see. Plus Owain has now agreed with me.

10. smack

smack Avatar

In case folks have not already seen the reply that Chris made in another PvP thread:

=====
    We have just been answering questions that have been asked in chat or through Google. We have been talking more about multiplayer elements because they have been asking more questions!

I think we?ve been pretty open that on the quest and story side of things, we?re really just focusing on the single player experience and making it a single player experience that can be played with other people around! We?ve also been clear that there will even be parts of the single player quest line that will force you into a single player mode.

If we were just remaking Ultima Online, we would not have brought in a story telling talent like Tracy Hickman. We feel we know what is important to each side of our divided audience and if anything, the single player game people will be getting more dev time total than the online guys in the long run.

The open world is NOT PVP. That rumor is being spread by some trolls in the forums. We?ve been VERY clear that PVP will be consensual and not required. The rewards of PVP will primarily be things that are only valuable to PVP?ers. You will be safe from PK?ers and so will the goods of your house unless you choose to join in.

Join in with questions for the next dev chat and I?ll answer them!

Thanks!
    Chris Spears
    ======

The default mode will be OPO -- Richard has directly stated that as much for his preference. But what OPO means is clarified above.

To answer the original OP? Yes, it is inviting PKers (PvP) in. It is also inviting pure PvE players in. But PvP is an option, not a requirement or the default or enforced on everyone.

11. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Ultima Codex moderator answered this on the 2nd reply. What is the prob?

@Ultima Aficionado - how do you ignore ppl here, I've been trying to figure that out for ages. Share.

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

@InsaneMembrane - ignoring people here is easy. You simply choose not to respond.

13. lordrex

lordrex Avatar

richard has always been in full support of pvp... he will partially support player killing as well.

i have made a list of demands that he will have to deliver on.

List of demands for Richard:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=open-letter-of-demands-for-lord-british

difference between PK and PVP:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=pk-and-pvp-are-not-the-same-requirements-of-a-good-gme-as-follows

14. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

Should stick to the guardzone being "safe" , out of guard zone at your own risk, that is what all the competitions miss on, instanced pvp is cheesy. Let's not fix whats not broken. These free ultima servers are getting old. I'm ready for the real thing again, i can't wait.

15. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

competitions meaning fellow rpg/mmorpgs out today... IE WoW, and the 1000s of replicas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.