Row Houses are good!

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Isaiah, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

I"m beginning to think that it's the same story with the 3 story Row House - the top floor is going to look exactly like the 3rd floor of the 4 story version. If that's true, the 4 story Row house is like a layered cake design and levels are just lopped off from the top depending on how many need to be removed.

2. Numa

Numa Avatar

I have to agree with your assessment, the Rowhouses are meant to stand back to back and in rows for maximum density and minimum eyesore level. But for a home that's meant to be shared, neither of the houses you mentioned as alternatives really fit the bill. Once (not if) SOTA becomes a big hit, I expect a significant percentage of my guild in SC (700+ strong) to jump the fence and cross over. Even if just 10% do so, that's about 70 people total and even a Player owned village can accomodate only 42 village lots. The 4 story row house can hold 4 people (each with a private room) in a lot 1/4 the size of a village lot.

That's why you can have a setup as in the Player Holdfast where the space can be maximized by having 20 Row lots + 1 Castle Lot (guild space) instead of just having 21 village lots. That's a total of 80 people (for the Row+Castle combo), and that's assuming that no one even lives in the Castle.

The 5 story Rowhouse basement gives each of the 4 people living there their own dedicated work floor and still have one floor leftover as common workspace.

[​IMG]

Btw, if anyone brings up the topic of SOTA being elitist as far it's housing is concerned - just point them to this post :)

Roger36, Jivalax Azon and Keldrin like this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Keep in mind that all lot deeds above village can select a village lot. So a Lord Marshal could select a village lot if he wanted to. The best house that can fit on a village lot is a Knight Marshal's though. See where I'm going with that? Knight Marshal's are the last of the owners of Town Lots to place. However that's still better than Knight.

4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I was impressed with the Row Houses. It's the only low level house that has useable bedrooms. I mean they are bigger than the Knight's house bedrooms. Plus the fireplace was awesome. I loved the 4-story stone row house look outside too.

The balcony was small....But nice to walk on or maybe a chair would fit there to sit and stare at the city.

I was wondering if they could overhang the upper floors a tad just to eliminate the wasted space in the bedrooms? Could be an option for opening things up a bit :) I'm a sucker for bedrooms tho!

5. Keldrin

Keldrin Avatar

the knight marshal places at the same time as the knight tier. I actually had thought, if the knight tier had it's own lot selection time, it would be worth considering. then if I couldn't find a town lot I liked, I could just grab a village lot. But since the knight marshal selects at the same time, I would need to have decided before selection began, if I was going for a town lot, or a village, or I would miss the chance to nab the best village lot possible.

6. Keldrin

Keldrin Avatar

The wood and plaster row home, from the add-on store, already has a over hang, that covers the entrance. The row home that comes with the tiers, creates a indention into the home to create the entry. I don't think that a overhang to extend further than the lot area will be possible.
    The blue tile row home has the best external appearance in my opinion. But has the least usable spacing. That's to be expected though. To do something to make a style statement would necessitate use of some space. Space, that in a small home, is noticed when gone.
    The stairs use a nice chunk of the interior space for the middle floors. but, the bottom and top floors are pretty nice. And, really, the bedrooms are usable on the middle floors. The stair way areas will be good for wall decorations. And I'm sure creative people will figure out ways, to utilize that area.

Lord Baldrith and Numa like this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

I was thinking of tapestry myself to cover those stair sides. And since I'm not specializing in tailoring or weaving some enterprising craftsperson is definitely getting my order :)

Lord Baldrith and Keldrin like this.
  8. Keldrin

Keldrin Avatar

A tapestry sounds nice. Mounting a coat of arms. Pictures. Maybe even wall mounted trophies, if those exist. Decorating those areas to look cool will be fun, even if there's not a ton of really usable space. Which, brings us to the question, what all do you need usable space for? A chest for storage? A bed to sleep on? Maybe a place for crafting? There's really only a limited amount of usable space you need. Unless you plan on maxing out the crafting tables. Then basements should work for that. Beyond the few things you need, most of the space will be about decorating and self expression.

Lord Baldrith and Numa like this.
  9. Numa

Numa Avatar

Most of my fellow guildies over at SC backed SOTA just for the SC crossbow. They really wouldn't be interested in an Ancestor pledge but getting an add on rowhouse and basement would be a more attractive proposition for them. I intend my rowhouse to be a gathering place where we can shoot the breeze about SC, SOTA while having beer in front of the fireplace on the 1st floor. More sensitive discussions will take place on the 4th. People needing to bunk in can use the 2nd and 3rd floor bedrooms while those needing things made can go down below to the crafting tables.

Many people don't realize this but the bulk of SOTA's future funding will come from backers who come in at the lowest pledge level then start working their way up. Myself, I started at Immortal Adventurer and am now at Virtual Collector - and my store addons are now cumulatively have more value than my pledge.

If it wasn't for the rowhouse I would have remained homeless because the village lot price isn't worth it for me - I'd much rather spend that money on a functioning sailing ship for trading, for passenger transport and PVP raids.

For me the ship is my true home. The house is just a hangar to enable me to tweak my equipment (and ship) and gather with my friends when we're not voyaging. So hopefully we do reach that stretch goal in time :)

Frankly, i'll settle for whatever i can get in this regard as long as it moves with the wind.

[​IMG]

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is like mad max road warrior of the 1700s. Imagine if the world had a nuclear war back in the 1700s, this is what they would end up doing with their lives after the war.

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.