Whats pint of add on villages/town?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Sire Lancelot, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

The heading is meant to say 'Whats the point of house deeds?'

So you pay for a town to village and don't own the land deeds and must pay rent? Whats the point with this concept beside bunkering up with a bunch of mates?

No financial benefits for the owners?

Cheers

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That I imagine.. would be up to the owner. The game in general benefits by putting more housing options in the hands of the players.

3. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

From what I can make - you buy the village but can't sell or rent the deeds? Is it a housing option and how? Im trying to get my head around it.

4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

The big benefit of it is that you have now created a place for you and your friends/family to live without any worry of land rushes. You also get to name a town and be a part of the game in a bigger way.

The biggest selling point for me, was that I can put my village lot as the backyard of my town lot :)

5. Venusada

Venusada Avatar

The biggest benefit to me would be the community aspect. By having a city owner one can pick who lives in the community. I know in UO everyone had a jerk as a neighbor or one living in their community at one time or another. The cities also give guilds, clans or gaming communities the ability to live with each and not be scattered all over the map.

RDouglas likes this.
  6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

It's supposed to be a convenience and role playing opportunity, rather than a financial advantage. It's not meant to be pay to win.

7. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

So who manages the lot deeds? How does it to work?

8. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

As I understand it - and I have applied to live in one of these towns - the "owner" of the town holds the "keys" that will unlock the lots. You ask nicely, he likes the look of you, and you can come live there.

This is a win-win situation. You get to live with like-minded individuals and you'll be in a nice neighbourhood. AND you get to avoid the landrush.

Once you have the "key" from the owner, you still need the land deed. That comes with your pledge, and if it's a taxable deed you will still be paying tax to Portalarium.

As I understand it there is no financial benefit to the owner; just placement certainty and living with nice people.

9. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

I reckon the Village owners should be able to charge the tax! Its only fair if they invest into the village/town and game. I don't think its paying to win and is no different than wedging up for a Knights Keep or a Castle.

10. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

Well if the village owner creates a town so compelling to live in, competition for his/her town lots might command rent, or some sort of purchase. More likely is that the town owner just wants to be able to make his lot just like he wants it, and allow just his friends, or other like minded folks in his domain.

Those lucky souls won't be scrabbling to find a decent place for their much antipated SoTA home.

I still want to know if we can get lunar rifts in the personal towns. In considering my own holdfast, I would not want my hex to be randomly placed in some inopportune location with a long run to a lunar rift.

11. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

He could also lock off the lot whenever he decides that he doesn't like you around anymore. So if you upset the owner your plot is locked and you have to start looking for an empty slot to place it.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

a long run through a PvP zone :)

13. Venusada

Venusada Avatar

Hopefully they will limit the number of player cities to begin with. I would hate to see a map cluttered up with cities.

14. smack

smack Avatar

The player-owned towns are first and foremost about building community. Those that can afford to purchase one are going to put in the effort to make it an interesting experience for those that live there and for those that travel through them. Just take a look at what's going with Valemark (PaxLair) or Beran's Reach (Bear Tavern) or Celtic Holdfast (Celtic Order of the Druids and Bards), etc.

Yes, there are benefits that either side gains: Portalarium with increased funding, and the community with more available lots and less of a land rush. But of course, there are the downsides...

They actually did not expect that many player-owned towns to form. Recent comments have said there are about 18 formed. Even with a much higher than expected number, the world is big. The continent of Novia is 128 x 128 hexes. Do the math in terms of number unique hexes that can be created, and you'd see there will still be plenty of uninhabited areas to explore. But yes, I do agree that I would not want to have an "endless neighborhoods" situation...but we're not there, yet.

I wonder though: if towns are abandoned, and the lots decay, will the scene return back to an uninhabited one, or will the devs leave it as a ghost town, showing the mark humans have put on the lands of New Britannia?

Saosis, Asclepius, NRaas and 2 others like this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There are to be more than 16,000 hexes... I don't think it will be a concern. :)

16. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

As a landowner I would never do that. I'm sure there are people who would.

I think the most important thing to remember, is friends/family are pretty unlikely to have that happen. I would even be willing to give the keys to the people who are living on the lot...I hope there is an option to do that. It would eliminate any fears that someone may have.

17. Venusada

Venusada Avatar

Truthfully I would not want to even see hundreds of cities on the map. Do not want to even think about thousands. It might take a lot of work for players to earn enough to buy a city or town in the game so cities might not start really popping up until the 2nd and 3rd expansions.

18. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about beer. :)

The player-owned town is mainly geared towards guilds or communities with a common interest.

19. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, there is always that possibility that player-owned towns become a huge success post-release. To mitigate the overworld map being "cluttered", perhaps they will have visual layers or filters that you can turn on/off. Plus, they have complete control over where towns are placed given a desired general region of the map, so it can be clustered perhaps.

20. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I imagine some of the player-owned towns will be used as private retreats.

NRaas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.