funding method sometimes depressing

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

No the funding method matters the time in development doesnt. Archeage didnt ask its players to fund new development and afaik ships wont be in this game no matter how long its in development because it stricty stated that it wont be in unless a stretch goal is met

2. Morgnes

Morgnes Avatar

Ok that's gonna be my last post:

1) "Westernizing" AA, means you have already the entire core game, meaning you have less work to do, you need less time and that leads to less money, that was the time point I wanted to make.
    2) Yes they didn't ask it's players for funding because they've got a publisher (publisher = money), and a cash shop
    3) Boats yes or no, there different opinions in this post, and I don't have enough infomation to make an educated guess

But like I said, that's my last post here since you always repeat the "they didn't ask for money" argument, while we told you several times the exact reason for it [see 2)].

Cya

3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Interesting, that was not the impression I received from the stretch goal system.

Where did you read that the devs have *no* intention of adding the functionality if the goal is *not* met ? :)

4. Vorshak

Vorshak Avatar

I will just say, that was my impression, from both the nature of the stretch goal store, as well as the wording that was put in the original post about stretch goals. What was said there, was, at least to me, worded to say, that unless the monetary goals were met, the features would not be implemented. However, there seems to be other information sources that would say otherwise., such as Sindariya mentioned

Which goes back to another concern brought up, of how information is dotted all over the place, but that's a different topic.

5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, the caveat in my circumstance would be that I have read the majority of the official posts on the forums, and base much of my understanding off those as well.

Users who may not have a similar background could get a different impression, I agree. :)

6. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Can you point out where it says that?

The ITEMS from those goals will be IN GAME, not the mechanics themselves if they DONT get the money.

That is how I understood it, listened to them say it, and exactly the text on the page:

You get the ITEM. If the goal level is met, you get the added functionality.

Static items != functional items.

sgt_pEppEr and Bramagola like this.
  7. Veylen The AenigmA

im very well aware why they didnt ask for money, but that wasnt our decision it was theirs. its hard to justify spending thousands of dollars on a game and still needing to spend more just to get the features you want when they are already in other games.

sure games are sucecssful without it, but they are aged titles with a their golden days past are are clinging to whats left, they arent new titles vying for limited customers they already have their playerbase this game is vying for a limited supply of customers against other unreleased games.

we dont have to fund stretch goals for them to put it in, they could put it in just by changing their prioirites a bit and do it for free which i think the funding method is a huge turnoff for wannabe players and probably creates a huge barrier to entry just because of the way you have to pay for features and theres no guarantee it will get in even if you are 1% away from the stretch goal.

it wasnt my decesion to not have a publisher, i know he got burned by ea, but it doesnt change the facts.

yeah it costs less to westernize, again, it was their decision to not get a publisher so it shouldnt fall on our shoulders to pay for features no matter how they got in AA, fact is they are there and it isnt here.

some people dont care but i'm sure it would only draw more people into the game if it were in there so they'd probably recoup their money. I would have made boats a priority since its an ultima like game and boats or air baloons were in every ultima i played.

so they will have boats but they wont be functional unless the goal is met, doesnt that kindof go against LB's core philosophy of wanting everything in the game to be useable and serve a purpose? hate to say it but sounds like a contradiction.

8. Veylen The AenigmA

I liked ultima ascension. You make compromises with both funding methods i dont see why you cant find a publisher that doesnt dictate game features when they arent making the game.

Ti me its just as much a problem with priorities as it is funding methods. Id rather have boats than a lot of things that get in but i dont have cashflow to fund it

Joviex likes this.
  9. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

There's no such thing as a publisher that doesn't dictate. Investors don't just give free money at that level. I don't know what level you've funded at, but you're pushing your own personal development priorities and even if you're a Lord of the Manor, you haven't spent 1/500th of what a publisher would toss in.

Caska DiFumarate and Logain like this.
  10. Logain

Logain Avatar

So, be concrete. What would you have them toss out? Combat? Storyline? What should be sacrificed?

This is one of the statements I wish I could like more than once ;) To quote Veylen The AenigmA, 'hate to say it but sounds like a contradiction' [meaning Veylen contradicting himself] :p

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  11. Schmidbauer

Schmidbauer Avatar

Stretch Goal items etc. if the option is to pay to obtain these items, maybe they can be made also available
    in quests every few months to all players logged in like an easter egg hunt. Hidden somewhere in some remote region. Maybe provide players with some basic tips in general area too look. Sort of like the man in real life past few months leaving the large amounts of cash in weird spots of the country lol. Maybe create some weird riddles we have to solve. This will let players know that there are other methods to obtain these items for free without us having to pay for. Though don't make it too easy to obtain lol.

12. Veylen The AenigmA

I dont know why you think i contradicted myself if you would read more carefully what i said you would realize i was talking about LB contradicting himself.

Id have held off on new combat until the skills were more even and at least the mitigation type abilities all worked better and they could do sailing abd boats in half the time they did combat once they put combat in its a constant update process with boats its one shot one time impliment then its done for the most part til u decide to upgrade functionality. There is really no point in putting im pvp or combat when the other aspects needed to test it arent even in. They are just creating more work for themselves and not being as efficient as they could

13. Logain

Logain Avatar

Veylen you are contradicting yourself exactly the way Sarg pointed out and I quoted. You expect invenstors not to dictate design decisions, when you yourself (as a investor) want to push your own vision of development.
    I'm completely unsure if I understood your point on combat, but it sounds like you underestimate the workload and importance of a solid framework/engine. The testing is a less time consuming factor for the developers.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

OK....I have been here since the beginning and followed this all pretty closely.

The stretch goals for boats was to get it into episode 1. They stated during the kickstarter they wanted to bring them in but they most likely won't be in until another episode. I would not be surprised if they had another fund raiser for every episode depending on how well they do in retail.

Koldar and Duke NRaas like this.
  15. Veylen The AenigmA

I dont see. how me wantig boats is a contradiction. I paid to have a voice i also dont know where you got from me the stayement you claim about players dictating what they want. Cause thats how its supposed to work

16. Logain

Logain Avatar

~sighs~ I surrender. Either you misunderstand what I write on purpose, or there's a language barrier involved. Whichever is the case, have fun and I'm out!

17. Veylen The AenigmA

Ok then i guess i didnt need the question answered anyway if im contradicting myself at last have some proof

18. Veylen The AenigmA

And if asking to donate all the time or beng asked to fund stretch goals isnt asking for money idk what is

19. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Well you can only sail to end of the instance box will you be able to leave anywhere on the horizon or will a large gateway mark the way to the over world sea.
    At least the water instances will be easy to create just a flat blue box to sail around.
    The same with horse another pointless vanity item of little use in an instanced world.

I don't think even Bixbie Snyder would "buy that for a Dollar"

20. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

...who exactly is constantly pestering you "all the time" to donate and fund to the stretch goals?

I don't mind the stretch goal store existing; we're still months away from even any kind of beta period so anything Portalaruim wants to do to raise funds is still fine by me so long as they can justify the resources and turnaround at each step of the way.

Personally I think they went a little overboard with the stretch goal variety, and thus reduced the chances of any of the goals being reached significantly. What's done is done - we can pretty much only hope and rely on accelerating backer growth that comes with each release and piece of media coverage.

Kaisa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.