Photography + Gold Sinks

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Waxillium, Aug 5, 2014.

?

Would you want the option to create your own photographs?

1. Yes (as a gold sink)

76.6%
  2. Yes (not as a gold sink)

14.9%
  3. No

8.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Limits are challenging! I like that system. ;)

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I can only imagine stone masonry would be significantly harder to do. Especially if you didn't plan for it from the beginning. I'm somewhat at a loss as to how it would work and to what purpose.

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Cool idea. A picture really speaks a thousand words presenting the idea. Good job.

The first time I saw the first image or so it made me think of Fringe looking through a frame into an alternate dimesion. Could we do that too? ;)

Kvow likes this.
  4. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

Holy crap i love that idea!

Think about it! Player made unique items!

A Drawing of Lord British's first Speech to the Crowd on Releaseday... (Or any other unique event in the History of SotA)
    A big Picture of the Founding Members of your Guild above the Big Round Table in the Guild house...
    Portraits of every past Mayor in the Townhall of your Playertown..

Schmidbauer, Kvow and Gaelis like this.
  5. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

yeah, part of me thinks that with the limited items a player could make, that it would almost be better to have an NPC stone mason vendor that you can buy these items from or commission statues based on your player or players on your friends list, etc... just because of the limitations this crafting tree would have... may not be worth the dev time to make it something we can make, but having stone house decorations would be sweet...

Kvow likes this.
  6. Orion Astrium

Orion Astrium Avatar

I am confused. Is this thread in Housing because the OP include a picture of a Gold Sink?

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Doubt it.. was probably thinking about home decorating as the idea in the OP didn't really involve skill (crafting).

Kvow likes this.
  8. Womby

Womby Avatar

The essence of this proposal is the addition of custom textures to the game - in this case for hanging on a wall. OP presents it in a way that avoids the TTP problem by making it impossible for the texture to be anything other than an in-game scene (clever!). That avoids having to approve each image. It still represents a small texture that must be downloaded to the PC of any player who enters your house, but that is a minor issue.
    Good idea, and a useful money sink for the game.

Kvow likes this.
  9. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

How does this avoid depictions of pron or other potentially offensive material?

Given that you can use objects on your plot to make almost anything you want, and then take a picture of that, how is something like a penis avoided exactly?

Just look at some of the R8 Screenshots and the "creative" ways people are able to use items to make depictions of pretty much anything.

Cheers.

10. Womby

Womby Avatar

You have a point, but it's a matter of degree. I find it hard to imagine anything that can be depicted in game that I would find offensive (crude depictions of penis-like structures included), whereas there are plenty of real world images that would definitely offend me.
    It is true of course that some are more sensitive than others, but one has to draw a line somewhere, and that generally involves compromise.

Kvow likes this.
  11. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

How is a picture of of a scene any different than you walking by someones house with these same objects in various forms? Pictures taken IN a game of IN game content should not in any way be a offensive conversation, this is silly. If it's offensive then tackle that as the actual item or system IN the game, not the picture of it. My 02. Move along.

12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

It isn't any different. The cost to "build" it is however. IF everyone had to buy tools to harvest wood, to craft the items to build a giant penis in their front yard? That is going to take more time and dedication than most will put into it for the "haha" factor.

If I can just take a picture of that after someone does it? Or that person can take pictures and sell them? Much faster, and cheaper, dissemination.

All that I don't really care about really. That was just a question to provoke some additional thought.

My original questions still stand:

1) How is this OK when we point in fact have to go through a group of users to approve our "shield" designs?
    2) Why is this OK given we have a limited number of "symbols" for shield use because of the large bandwidth requirements to download all the "textures"?

And I hope your "move along" was pointed at the handling of it in game and not telling me to move along, cause I don't think we need a dismissive attitude in yet another forum thread.

Cheers.

13. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

it would be very easy to create an offensive image or even a curse word, take a "photo" of that item, and then disassemble the offensive item, leaving the photo for display.

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You won't be downloading ANY of those symbols. Your client will already have them. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the process before making arguments like this.

15. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I know that. Thanks for making my point.

And I will be very familiar with the process shortly, as I have been invited to the Tuesday meeting for the CoA to help get that system working. Cheers.

I will already have those symbols to cut out the question of bandwidth.

Taking an ingame SS will generate a unique texture that will have to transmit to everyone.

And while I "get" the cool idea of having the client side generate the "image" from the meshes/assets already client side, based on the position and orientation of items at the time the picture was taken, to alleviate having to "upload" the texture:

A) That is a lot of resources to get done for this feature, but let's give you that because
    B) You took a picture of character XYZ, I don't have a client side version of character XYZ, but now I have to transmit his effective databag to "recreate" him for my client side "picture" to generate

That can easily scale way more depending on how many "people" are in a picture than just downloading the potential texture (even an average 512x512 png image can crush down to under 100k).

The mechanism doesn't outweigh the simpler "download the texture" solution, in resources or bandwidth in my experience.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Your wording of the question strongly suggested everyone's coat of arms would have to be downloaded.

Well regardless. Richard likes the original idea. Why not let them work out the technical details.

17. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Because why would there be an approval process for taking a picture IN GAME? Sorry extremely moot to even consider.

I don't have an answer to this as the technical end of it is not necessarily my concern. Many games have done similar. I played a few shooters with millions of players who somehow managed to download unique logos and/or clan designs as they came across players without issues..COD's,HALO,etc. A little thought, a little planning, it can happen. For the record I am against the current shield design shenanigans.

That was in reference to "My 02." Rest easy, your honor is still intact.

18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Not really. All processes to date: Heraldry, Music, the new "books" group and the asset review system we recently submitted to be brought online, all have required review stages.

I dont see this as any exception given that is thier philosophy: Content for ingame consumption needs to be reviewed. Not sure moot is the word.

Don't disagree, which is why I started by asking if the tech was already in place (streaming client able to load non-client side data). I am not hedging my bets on a yes, because this system was very fast to get online, and may have "skipped" a few features since the focus was to get up and running, not be the end all streaming platform.

I also don't disagree with the heraldry issue, but that is a problem, admittedly from Port, about the platform having to deliver those different textures (Chris's release overviews). Which is exactly what is being asked here (solution #1).

Solution #2 is trading one bandwidth for another i.e. downloading data about users in a "picture" to reconstruct them with material already on the client.

The #2 solution seems to swap simple (just download it) for complicated (not even just complex).

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Except all of the stuff you're referencing that has to be reviewed is being created outside of the game with content outside of Portalarium's control.

20. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

And part of the side effect of this proposal is that people will be able to sidestep those filters by using ingame content in "new" ways to give us lovely TTP, or other depictions.

And that still does not resolve the technical problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.