A true return to RolePlaying

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Magecor, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magecor

Magecor Avatar

?"Since then, most every other RPG has focused more on level grinding than on ?role playing?, which has been reduced to a few initial character choices. While advancements in graphics and sound have been phenomenal, in many ways the virtual worlds we play in have become less real. Less open. Less immersive."

Having read that I finally realize what it is about Modern MMORPG's that has me so Jaded. In UO we created player run towns, RP'd races that were not included in the game and had a BLAST doing it. I remember RP'ing Orcs and getting my arse kicked if caught out solo. (Orc's only advantage is running in large packs) We had our own language that allowed us to communicate in game, in front of non orcs to plan attacks. We didn't use fancy head sets to talk to each other (hell this was the dial-up era) I have yet to find this level of creativity and dedication in any other MMORPG.

2. Glimbel

Glimbel Avatar

I agree with you.
    I played on numerous free UO servers (I pledged 60$, I am forgiven !) and most of them were roleplaying oriented (and enforced). I would play a character, act like this character, speak like he would speak, and not the way I, behind the screen, would speak. And intrigues and stories would then grow from the interaction between players.
    I doubt we can't reach such a roleplaying depth in SotA though, as it is not roleplay-enforced (no one is forced to act according to a character, we can OOC at will) but it is alright. If the game, the engine and the content is giving similar roleplaying possibilities as UO did, then I will be pleased.

3. Magecor

Magecor Avatar

Agreed, although I feel no guilt for playing Free-shards after EA tossed Richard to the Curb. ;) Having a world that is truly interactive and not pre-defined for Questing and Grinding will be a wonderful thing, I'll once again craft characters to match my moods, on LS I had a Smith, Grand Master Bates that was one of the most grumpy old farts you could have the mis-fortune to deal with but if you took the time he'd share his knowledge on anything to do with Crafting. I also played Mac who was a cheerful fellow always willing to lend a sword when needed but wasn't too bright and would often be the butt of jokes that he seemed to never get, Then there was Hazel D'Ark, Wicked with an Axe (lumberjacking skill) and a death wish to boot, bitter and sarcastic with a jaded dark humor. Kregan D'ark, her brother, was the sly dagger wielding thief that would lurk around stealing from creatures and often said little. To round the group off was Mak'tuk the Orc with his club and Bone armor, always ready to hit you from behind with a horde of his Ilk. :)

4. WARDUKE

WARDUKE Avatar

Completely agree. Coming from a childhood of playing D&D and other RPGs, when MMOs first came out, I really thought they were such a departure from roleplaying pen and paper games, that I was jaded.

I only played a bit of UO and DAoC, so I feel like I missed out because I judged them. Then games like WoW came out that really opened my eyes to how good the early MMOs were.

I'm really hoping SotA can bring back some of the feel of those early games and improve on it.

AuroraWR likes this.
  5. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

Given how limited the multiplayer aspect of this game seems to be I assume we will have some kind of control over who we play with if we so choose to.
    If that is the case I will be playing with RPers only. I too got jaded of UO when it turned into "101 N3WB! I P0WN3D Y0U!"

NirAntae likes this.
  6. Falreth

Falreth Avatar

Best RP I ever found in MMO's was in MXO actually. But then I never played UO hated the isometric view wasn't immersive and just looked tacky to me, not to mention I didn't feel like being PKed every two steps.

7. Piper

Piper Avatar

I agree with the OP.

However, SotA isn't a true MMO, so it'll be a different flavour. Still, it's my hope that this game will be more RP-friendly than a lot of others are. I guess whether or not it's conducive to the <i>style</i> of RP a lot of us are used to will depend on game mechanics and how immersive the experience is. Tastes will differ, of course. Either way, roleplaying is a big part of the reason I've been following this game's progress. Fingers crossed, eh?

8. Mercy/Nadia

Mercy/Nadia Avatar

The only game that for me has come close to any immersive rp is LOTRO. Because you can sit down and make camp fires and have chat bubbles above your head to see who is talking. Have lots of costumes for different occasions instead of being limited to armour. Travel around the landscape without too many limitations, enter buildings and sit on chairs. Play music,actually play real music on instruments.
    But it still wasn't sandbox enough as the questing is linear and you was stuck within classes for skills.

That's what UO was for me,my fav solo char was an archer/woodsman with tailoring. Self sufficient with just enough cooking and camping to make meals and a campfire to sit at. - except you had to have a stool to sit on unless you found a handy log.

9. Assa

Assa Avatar

If in game will not be present the intrigue, suddenness, and most importantly - players energetic and <b>creative</b>, RPG will not. Staff will have to make much effort to keep these players, and so that they didn't go away.

10. VictorZanta

VictorZanta Avatar

Role playing is something i always do towards the end of a game just so it becomes more interesting. As in i will play for as long as i can before i get bored. Then introduce RP and it becomes fun again!

11. Percy_Bandello

Percy_Bandello Avatar

I also began roleplaying with Dungeons and Dragons and other PnP RPGs at an early age. I have only invested considerable time in two MMORPGs (though I have dabbled in a few others), the first being UO back in it's heyday, before the introduction of Trammel ruined it (imo...and then it just went steadily downhill). The second was a brief sojourn in WoW. While I think that each style of game (UO's open, sandbox, skill-based play, and WoW's linear theme park approach) has something to offer, I most definitely think that the former offers the far greater potential for Roleplaying. The more linear games are without a doubt entertaining, but as far as I am concerned they might as well be single player, or rather designed for small group play (particularly with regard to RP). Wow simply could not hold my fancy in quite the same way as UO.

I suppose I consider myself a sort of casual, though full-time roleplayer in the sense that I create a character following the lore, play as that character, and react to in game situations and players as that character would, though I am not apt to participate in more protracted, planned/scripted RPs (at least in MMORPGs). They always come off as artificial to me, but that is merely a matter of personal taste. UO catered to every manner of play style, such that anyone could carve out a niche.

I truly believe all that is really needed is an open world, a skill-based system, and as many tools as possible for the players to create the "game" themselves, and to give them a sense of ownership of the world. Quests, instances, and the like, mere detract from the immersion, at least in my opinion. Better, I think, to introduce innate systems that facilitate and encourage RP naturally, that coax it even from those who are not apt to try RP.

As a lover of the Ultima series, particularly IV and V, the single player portion intrigues me, to say the least, and I look forward to hearing more about it. I am less certain about the MMO portion, and whether it will allow for the sort of non-linear, immersive, sandbox-oriented game that appeals to my taste; one that is multifaceted and does not descend into a hackfest (as some recent examples). I am also currently following a couple of other sandbox-themed games in design, and also funded through Kickstarter. I will most definitely keep my eye on SotA, however.

I have also tried a few free RP shards here and there, though they invariably fail to impress on some level or other. On a personal note, I wonder that more has not been done in such shards with the actual Ultima Lore, which is, I think, one of the richest and well-rendered in the Fantasy genre.

Finally, as long as we are on the subject of RP, I generally tend to opt for the solitary, honorable Ranger, the raffish, fun-loving Bard, or the quick-witted Rogue.

Knoxinn likes this.
  12. ThePompousPeasant

ThePompousPeasant Avatar

First game to really take me away was The Legend of Zelda for the original Nintendo, loved that game.

13. Godwin

Godwin Avatar

Well in the newest video they explain their online play models: I will definitely connect up with other roleplayers and just only allow them on my screen! Best solution ever :D So stoked. And I agree about UO having something no other MMO came close to.. We could basically do everything! I remember needing to get into that mindset at first, but then I totally loved it. Eventually me and friends started this whole mongbat breeding program to eventually, after many many many generations, have mongbats stronger than dragons :D

Best Ultima ever was Ultima V, but that's mostly because of very fond youth memories. VI, IV, VII and Underworld! were awesome too. I even enjoyed U8 a lot! Learning Necromancy for example felt so badass, but, it was different.

14. moko

moko Avatar

I agree 100% with the OP, in fa ct my fond memories of how we had to act everything out back in UO and were still able to immerse ourselves fully in the game, have intense adventures and experiences led me to back this game. I loved rp-ing out my characters, with all the consequences ensuing, for example playing a smalltime thief, all the time quarreling with the guards, getting arrested. Or another character, who was a simple farmer and sold stuff on the market, I never thought that such a non heroic "boring" character could have so much fun organizing ingame community events, playing out market-days, festivals and so on... And of course the goblins, elves, with their different languages, habits, culture... Ah, how I miss this.

I really hope playing SotA will feel similar. I'm curious if there will be a filter for language/country as well, I'd love to try RPing in english, but as it's not my native language I fear it might either be too hard for me or ruin the experience for others... We'll see and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Knoxinn, TigerKhan and rild like this.
  15. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

I wouldn't worry a out you causing trouble with your roleplaying. You seem to have a better grasp of English than many native speakers.

rild likes this.
  16. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

I agree with the OP as well!

Having done RP in a wide variety of forms (D&D, Whitewolf in all it's varried cannons, LARP, Big Eyes Small Mouth, Muds, AOL chat room RP, IRC text based and various UO RP enforced shards) the one reason I can't get into other so called RP games is they were more "choose your own adventure book" than RP. Talk to the NPC and choose between these three to five options of responses, the ending changes based on your choice but still... every time I try such a game I'm always faced with wanting to respond differently and not having an option. NPC's aren't as dynamic as player charaters and I want to see my character actually grow. I mean, a really good RP experience is when you make a character and then they take on a life of your own. Later I'm always thinking... huh.. never thought she'd do that. Those are some of my favorite moments!

17. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

"I never thought she'd do that." I love those moments, when you realize that your character is doing the thinking, and you're just along for the ride....

18. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

YES! When my own character surprises me are the BEST moments in RP! That or I'm completely insane, but I prefer to think of it as the former. ;)

19. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

Um... the two aren't mutually exclusive, you know! ;-)

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I've had a few moments like that with a few of my characters. Particularly ones I had been playing for a long time. You think you have them nailed and then a situation comes up you didn't expect and your "character" just acts and you realize later that it's something you wouldn't have expected them to do. Fun times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.