Holding right mouse button for camera view: Game breaker for many

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FanofIolo, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olik Halvdan

Olik Halvdan Avatar

I don't see as necessary for any of those things. The only reason I can think of to need a cursor is all the popup windows. I'm pretty much thinking they should just flip it. Right click to move the cursor otherwise the mouse is camera locked and a left click targets the center of the screen.

JackW likes this.
  2. Womby

Womby Avatar

There are many players, and many points of view. The best solution is probably to have flexible key bindings and control schemes. That way we can all be happy.

Saosis and Jambot like this.
  3. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

We're not asking for it as a replacement of the current system, but as an option. Which hurts no one and helps those of us who thing the control scheme is the BEST thing about those games. ;)

JackW likes this.
  4. JackW

JackW Avatar

Why would that prevent interaction? Most people look at things when they interact with them. How many times do you look at the ceiling when you are opening a door? First you look at the handle so you can grab it without missing then you look at the door as it swings open. With the exception of a keyboard and mouse, which would be out of place in this game, or a musical instrument, there are very few things in the world that we interact with without looking at them.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I always felt like the right mouse button should be used to toggle running and walking. I always try to use SHIFT to toggle running versus walking and it's used for something else (I can't remember what).

Also, while we're talking about it, the use of WASD is fine, I'm used to that for movement, but it doesn't lend itself well (read it's annoying as hell!) when you're trying to fight and your chat window comes up and vice versa. Or you're trying to move and you see WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW on your chat window. I'm not sure what the answer is for this, but there has to be another game that "got it right" that we can model after.

Olik Halvdan and docdoom77 like this.
  6. Olik Halvdan

Olik Halvdan Avatar

When someone whispers you does the chat window get focus? That could easily be used as an exploit in PvP.....

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I can't remember. But I think this has been brought up before on the forums. Good catch though.

8. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

Well, I don't generally look at a doorknob when opening a door, unless I'm unfamiliar with it. I don't generally look at a can of Dr. Pepper before drinking from it. I'm not looking at my keyboard as I type this, nor am I looking at my mouse. I don't generally look at dice before rolling them. When using tools, I don't stare at the tool, I look at what I am using the tool on.

And even if I did all those things ... it's not a first-person game.

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

I've been a Mac user since I was old enough to use a computer and, I have to be honest, that whole track-pad thing surprises me immensely. The Mac is perfectly capable of running games (if not better than PCs) but c'mon man, if you're going to game, at least use proper peripherals.

I'm not against having more options. Heck, that's one of the major advantages of PC/Mac gaming. More options! Yay! What I have difficulty understanding is your REASONING for it. I use 3 inches of my mouse-pad to play games (with the default Apple mouse speed) and you're saying you don't have room for a mouse? That's a very tight gaming environment you have there.

"Wouldn't it be awesome if SotA offer track-pad support so that I could play on the go?" would've been a far easier concept to grasp because I have no idea how you're playing Call of Duty using a track-pad with any sort of comfort. I tried playing Diablo by using the tapping functionality and it was a nightmare.

I don't even think the two-finger swipe can help you because each swipe need to happen at a specific direction for the computer to understand what you're doing. Each gesture is a hotkey/keybind, essentially. What you need is a toggle between [mouse-look] and [cursor] modes by pressing another button... and then the rest of us can stay in [cursor] mode and right-click for mouse-look.

On a similar note, is there something about the Mac client of SotA that makes you want to run the game via virtualization? It's been running fantastic for me as a native app. It seems like you're using more resources than you should.

10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

YES PLEASE! :) +1000

SmokerKGB likes this.
  11. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

In Ultima IX you hit 'q' to toggle the free-range mouse, and then hit q again when you wanted to go back to 'fixed'

12. selbie

selbie Avatar

This. I use Q as my mouse-look toggle key.

13. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Right mouse seems straightforward enough to me, but I agree with the ergonomic issue.

Not sure of the best solution for this. Perhaps just allowing the camera rotating commands to be assignable to any key(s) based on user preference.

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

It would probably help if you didn't quote a post from December of 2013. It's been 8 months and 9 releases since then, and I don't run it via virtualization now that it is "stable" on Mac.

15. Gix

Gix Avatar

Ah! My bad. I have a hard time seeing the dates on this forum; it's not where I'm used to seeing it.

16. Dr Ace

Dr Ace Avatar

Related to this - and apologies if my search failed to discover an existing thread on the subject - but is it possible to remap the WASDQE grouping so that A and D turn the avatar on the spot and Q and E strafe/move left and right? I.e. the opposite of the current configuration.

This would make the interface more in line with other MMOs I'm currently playing and, importantly, would make the transition much easier for Mrs Ace.

Chaox and docdoom77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.