I was just about to click pledge, intill i read this post on MMORPG.com about housing.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by makasouleater, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Welcome to the game and to the community makasouleater :)

Time Lord, RDouglas and Mata like this.
  2. Archaon [OWL]

Archaon [OWL] Avatar

Glad to welcome another member to the SotA community, hope to see you around maksouleater. :)

Time Lord and Mata like this.
  3. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I am glad you got past the MMORPG.com thing. The only thing I use that site for is to find the real webpage of any given game. I am glad you came for some real answers, too. Your quest is not over though. As a couple of people have posted there are some blind haters everywhere but the thralls who parade everything Richard Garriott has ever said or done as gospel. Search for statements by the company and form your own opinions.

I hope you have a good resonance with this community!

Time Lord, smack, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  4. QTIP

QTIP Avatar

Ancestor or above ($275) gets you a rent free row house lot and 2 story home.

Time Lord, RDouglas and licemeat like this.
  5. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome makasouleater!

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

[citation needed] ;-)

Would love to see some numbers for that. Additionally, can we assume that for every key there will also be a corresponding lot? If housing is limited then it shouldn't necessarily follow that all keys will be filled. While I don't believe that to be the truth, just doing a bit of lawyering and considering what may be true. :p

7. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

At the beginning of this year, the plan for housing was to have only three lot sizes: Village, Town, and Castle. With no Row houses in the mix, people were concerned about how many lots there would be in the game. Portalarium responded by telling people (at that time) that they would not sell more lots than will be in game because they would base the number of lots put into the game on how many were actually sold. To ensure there were some available for purchase, the plan was to build in 30-50% more lots than had been sold through real money means. That plan had a lot of people worried that the market for gold-purchased lots would be too competitive, especially since nothing was stopping the people who bought a lot for real money from buying a second lot with in-game gold.

Portalarium found a solution there that fit pretty well with the design of many of their cities: Row housing. Row lots are small--one quarter the size of a Village property--but because the house takes up the entire lot (with no yard), Row type homes offer ok living space. Another benefit of the lots being small is that Portalarium could add lots of them. Since the houses occupy the whole lot, they could put tall, thin lots wall to wall, like you see in many old cities. This simultaneously solved the housing problem while creating a way for Portalarium to make their cities look, well, more like cities. :)

There should be oodles of lots now that Row type lots have been put in. It remains to be seen how competitive the market for larger lot sizes will be, but there should be absolutely no issue with every single player having at least one Row type home.

Jatvardur likes this.
  8. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I think it would make sense for there to be a starter home kit for starting players such as a bedroll and tent with a campfire that the individual may lay down anywhere, non-obstructive, where a player could 'chill out' after along day if they don't own a house, or just to give them some leeway in terms of relaxing in their own form and give them the illusion of housing until they are able to afford the in-game lots/houses.
    [edit: any campfire should be able to cook a small amount of food as well, not as fully featured as a cooks crafting table, but just enough where they are able to lay campfire, cook some meat, etc. and boost their strength for an upcoming pve battle. Basically giving the player a way to recuperate without having to return completely to town.]

Jatvardur likes this.
  9. Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust Avatar

I got one of the "keys" and traveled all around....never saw an open lot. Even if I found one, I thought it would be bad form to take it if I was just a "Weekend Warrior". But still....

:D

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You looked for an open lot in pre alpha and base availability on that? Pre- alpha does not have all the cities that will be in release.

11. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

I am understanding a little more about it, thanks again every one. So if i get this right to sum up, those deeds for sale on the site, are not a plot, you would have to go find a place to put it? When you say people buy houses for cash, to ensure they get one, you mean if you pledge 275 dollars or more? I believe some one said, the pledges get first go at picking plots, and then the people who bought store deeds get a go.

Anyways, I am planning on buying that Wizard tower, with a basement, reminds me of the tower in UO. If i understand this right, there will be plots randomly out in the world, and there will be plots that are part of a player city?

Trenyc and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  12. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

If you look closely in the Addon Store, you'll see two kinds of deeds for sale. One kind is for lots, which is the land. The other kind is for houses, which is for the building that goes on the land. Of course, if you own a lot, you need a house to have any living space. On the other hand, you can claim a lot and just not put a house on it (if, for example, you wanted to secure a property but hold off until you can spend in-game gold on a house to put on it).

To do what you want to do (buy a wizard tower with a basement) would require at least a Village sized lot plus the matching house from the Addon Store. Regardless of whether you get your lot with a pledge or if you buy it through the Addon Store, you would have to buy the wizard tower from the Addon Store because it doesn't come with any pledges.

Now, to get your Village lot and a basement, you could buy a pledge. The Citizen level pledge at $550 is the lowest level pledge that comes with a Village sized lot. It does include a basement, but that basement only has one level. To get a bigger basement with your pledge, you have to go up to Knight ($800) for two levels or higher. That's a lot of money compared to what the Addon Store costs, but you get lots of other items along with a pledge. Also, lots that come as part of a pledge will not have a monthly upkeep tied to them in-game. Remember that if you do buy a pledge to get your lot, you'll still have to buy the wizard house separately, which costs $50.

The other option is to buy all three items (the property deed, the house deed, and the basement) through the Addon Store. That would cost $165 + $50 + $37 = $252. This would get you your property and the smaller wizard tower for a good lot less than going the pledge route. However, you wouldn't get any of the other items that come with a pledge, and your home would be taxed with a monthly gold upkeep.

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  13. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

Thank you very much for explaining that.

DavenRock [MGT] and Trenyc like this.
  14. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I was going to, but I noticed you quoted Trenyc lol. He is a very helpful soul!

+100 to Trenyc!

Trenyc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.