Before I sell this.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by makasouleater, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

I was just making sure. I pvped and I could tell this game is peer 2 peer, is that the case? That really sucks, I was looking forward to this game too, and now i cant play because some one decided to be cheap.

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I am not sure where your issue is with peer 2 peer but the original p2p model has been dropped for a different one.

Source: Click here

3. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

What do u mean you dont see my issue. People skip all over the damn place, you cant do peer to peer with shitty internet it doesnt work.

4. E n v y I I

E n v y I I Avatar

Have to admit that in the unpolished alphas I have seen people skipping all over the place to the extent it is unplayable.

What appears to happen is that when there is a release that focuses on cleanup, things improve greatly. My advice would be go stick it out and see how it plays over various releases.

Time Lord, Eriador and smack like this.
  5. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

It's not P2P anyways; it's a standard clients/server model. P2P is only used for downloading patches, and you can disable that from the start up menu...

Time Lord, Logain, Eriador and 5 others like this.
  6. Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust Avatar

Was gonna say... o_O

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There are many levels of P2P. If you use the first person shooter P2P then you are probably correct.
    In SotA's case the method of P2P used was not like what you are thinking.

8. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Is that a fact or an opinion

Is this a fact or another opinion. PvP area's could be using FPS P2P tech, also Player Towns to save their server load.

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Go hunt the original model down if you like, it's not used any more so I have no interest. I linked Chris giving a ruff description of the changes and why it was changed. Fact, not opinion.

10. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, as the devs (and others here) have stated, this game doesn't use P2P except to distribute the client/patches.

The skipping (and likely floating) players that you see are simply bugs and network optimization that hasn't been completed yet. I'd suggest sticking around and waiting for more polished releases. We have a very long ways to go until this game is complete and polished and optimized.

Time Lord and Luxuria (Lust) like this.
  11. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Well as we all know everything is subject to change. That doesn't mean we are told of these changes.

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

So we should start worrying that Tracy Hickman, or anyone else we haven't seen in a while, no longer work on the team. We have not been told other wise.

We have been given zero reason to believe there is a change, why would we start a conspiracy theory on the lack of refuting evidence. Faith and trust have not been broken here, why always so condescending and negative.

13. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

The original change from Peer to Peer was not announced, but answered when lots of players got warnings of possible malware.
    So instead of you answering the OP as if you know the facts, let a DEV come in and answer it who will have the facts.

14. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Unless you play one turn every minute, slow internet will always be some disadvantage. I dont have a lot of bandwidth. I may pull my iPad out or some other app and it will decide it needs all my internet for the next few seconds. If this happens, I'm going to lag in game, get choppy video, find myself load killed, etc. There's nothing really for SotA to do about this. I don't expect the universe to slow down to my speed.

Time Lord and Apollyon9515 like this.
  15. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

I dono i do not see anything where they say this isnt peer to peer

16. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

That is def not true, I play all sorts of pvp games, like LOL, battlefield, HON, darkfall, and i never have any issues.

The problems i have are with peer to peer games, because only a select few have a internet connection capable of hosting a game. Most people have cable, or dsl and neither of those can hosts games.

17. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I think the cool downs on spells/actions is partly to combat that, the trouble is those with great internet don't like waiting for the cool down.

18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

You may be lucky and get a DEV to answer it for you, no one really knows what the set up is now for PvP.

19. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum...ositive-in-r1-download.5716/page-3#post-95759

@Chris said in that post above:
    "Our original plan at kickstarter was to allow peer-to-peer connections for the game to offload work on us but we changed that a few months ago. There were just too many problems that come up with connections to other random users and there are just too many things that eventually need to be verified by the server and too many exploits that would have ruined PVP. So SotA actually sends 100% of its traffic through our servers and then our servers relay to appropriate users. There are no peer-to-peer connections and no one else's IP will be visible while playing."

I live in Australia, the internet here barely works when you connect outside the country for low latency required applications, like games, so I've been watching this space closely. I can also tell you for a fact that this is not a P2P game past the distribution of patches because in my home network I block all outgoing ports unless explicitly allowed. The game wouldn't work if it was P2P because I'd have to put an ANY rule on my firewall which I haven't had to do.

Give the Devs some time to cleanup the code, you'll notice the difference.

Jynx, Lord Beli, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  20. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

Thank you for posting, you said the first useful thing that makes sense I appreciate it. I will wait then and see what happens. Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.