Before I sell this.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by makasouleater, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mata

Mata Avatar

Time Lord, Arianna and Luxuria (Lust) like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Here I was linking a dev doing just that... Go figure

3. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

You are welcome. Though to be honest, I was kind of sad to see the P2P functionality not even tested. Being in the southern Pacific doesn't have its advantages for connectivity, sometimes not even if you are connecting to other points inside of Australia. The closest I've seen game servers come to Oz is Singapore, and even then most of the time they are too laggy too. Heck, even Microsoft doesn't have servers for O365 in Australia and their service out of Singapore for Lync isn't usable.

I would have liked to have seen a fully functional match maker which matches me with groups of friends here in Australia and connects my machine to theirs through a central auth server back in Austin. That would have made things so much better in terms of connectivity. I understand the security and ease of use concerns which tanked this idea though, and it is probably the right move in the end!

Time Lord and Logain like this.
  4. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

Ahh I see what you are saying. Well, I can tell you it doesnt work very well at all. That is was I was so upset when I made this post. I paid 150 dollars for Elite and dangerous, which is what you are talking about. Which is 100 percent unplayable for me, due to it being peer to peer. As soon as i get dumped as the host it lags to the point of a disconnect. Not to mention, it sucked all my internet down, so no one could use it, but me.

I suppose in the case you are talking about, where you have unlimited upload, and download at high speed and it doesnt change it speed ever, like dsl and cable. With every one connecting at the same area, you could have a good experience with it. I dono about internet there, but in the USA, if this game was peer 2 peer and you played it a lot. Like 12 hours a day, or left it on all the time. They would end up capping your internet, for uploading way to much. Even in that case though with every one having a good connection, no one cares about their internet being maxed, and every one is connected in the same area. The host ends up having a huge advantage, with 0 ping while every one else has 20+.

That is why pvp on that kind of system to me, is even more worthless. Also the reason why I cant think of any major PVP game that uses a system like that. I mean you have the option with battlefield to host your own server, but it doesnt work out.

I am not sure how much this game needs for upload and download, but I know a dayz server with 32 people, if every one is connected most of the day, you end up uploading on the dedicated server over 2 terabtyes a month. Even those dedicated servers here that I bought are capped, if you go over 3 terebtyes they start charging you alot. I think it was a extra 200 dollars to raise from 100 mbitps up/down to 1000 mbitsps up/down, with a 10 terabtye cap.

Just want to say one thing to the guy before, that said yeah its not peer 2 peer its a mmo. Well elite and dangerous is a mmo, and they decided to use that way. I can see why they would want to, if they make the game peer 2 peer. All they have to have a main server for, is to keep track of small amounts of information. If you follow SWG emulation, which is ran completely free, and from donation. Last time i looked at what their bills were, the sever they have for 3000 people to connect to was over 2 grand a month. Which with the skipping from pvp, and this game being paid for by kick starter, I just jumped to the conclusion they would make it Peer 2 peer, so they would have no server bill.

If this game really gets like 120k people wanting to connect at once, they are going to have a serious server bill. I am not even sure of how much that would cost lol. I am pretty sure as it stands now, they dont have a server capable enough of even running what they have. Every one is saying the lag is caused by bad code, which is prolly true, but i bet it also has to do with they dont have enough servers and internet speed to handle every one connecting at once.

5. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Yeah, here I'm on DSL. I've got a connection currently which will pull down 1.12Mbps and uploads out at 0.37Mbps... Note, that is Megabit not Megabyte, it is pretty bad! Most games these days are finding decent ways to avoid lag, I hope SotA will be able to accomplish that goal.

As to P2P gaming in local regions, it works very well though not with your typical MMO. Works best with completely dedicated servers, games like MineCraft or Rust for example.

With the inbound connections to Portalarium servers, that can be handled pretty easily these days depending on their software of course. It wouldn't cost that much at all to push those services out to Amazon and scale up their front end server farm to handle those connections during both approved peak hours and on-demand. Cheaper and easier than hosting it themselves in any case.

SotA has gone through a bit of a transformation from its original audience in which it was intended for. I expect during this time there will be some confusion and teething issues with performance and what not, believe me, it happens to the best of us getting this stuff right is an ongoing process! :)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

if you're pulling terabytes from 32 people something is terribly wrong... I can host a 4-500 people server straight on my fiber optics 100mbps, on which I got unlimited bandwdth, upload AND download.

Even a game that would record people face on a webcam to project them live in game with live voice and all shouldn't pull this much data...

Something is terribly wrong, its like portalarium took the "standard developpement package" in unity and didn't even bother to check if there was redundant code.

It's also much harder to "clean up" bad code than start all over with proper lib/vm architecture...

Time Lord likes this.
  7. 3devious

3devious Avatar

We've been asking repeatedly about this but everything gets drowned out in the quest for having custom player towns and the like. They had a setup where some user was the master for a scene but no one could determine how the master was selected, what happens when the master goes to a new scene or gets disconnected. It is still unknown whether it even works that way anymore.
    Please join us in pestering the team to let us know all that they can and how we can help. Many of us with FiOS and great hardware are chomping at the bit to see what is possible under the best of situations.

Portalarium: We really want to help with this. When you are ready, give us a shout!

8. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

I dono how you say that. Even if the game only requires each person to upload at 32kbtyes a second to the sever for one person sending 32kbtyes a second to the server at 12 hours a day that is around 90 gigabytes. I think the last time i played it was more like i downloaded from dayz 100kbtyes per second. So that is send 100kbtyes a second to 32 people for 24 hours. That is in tera btyes, even if you use ulitma online server, which only requires something like 10kbs down and 5 up, that for one person a day is 9 mega bytes a min, or 540 mbs a hour, 12.9 gbs a day or 300 gbs a month, for 1 person to stay connected to the server 24/7 http://www.aqua-calc.com/rate/bandwidth-calculator, do it your self, now it doesnt always use that, but thats just a guess. Just go buy a server and see for your self, they will tell you that hosting 64 player bf4 servers if people connect 24 7 are going to use tera btyes.

Well you arent doing your math very well. If you used your google fiber at 10 mega bytes a second up and down, for 24 a day 7 days a week, your way over 2 tera bytes. You can do over a tera byte a day, I am not sure of fibers policy, but give it a whirl upload and download over 30 tere bytes in a month and see if they send you a letter.

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats right my maths do not apply to industry standard architecture but rather a much more sophisticated data-handling model. :p

Nice post tho :)

yea you pay a hefty fee here to unlock the bandwidth, or get a company plan which anyone can get even without a registered company, and you can go zyngabytes a month some companies do it with only backups...

Time Lord likes this.
  10. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

Lol i dont see how player towns can be as important as the server running right for everyone. In fact I am kinda confused how the game got this far, with the server being what it is. That is the most important thing in my book. If no one can connect right, then nothing else really matters. Have a bajillon cool features, but as long as people lag all over, and the server doesnt work right, then its all garbage. I mean this game has single player, but I am sure most people arent buying it for that. It looks like a terrible single player game to me, Skyrim, fallout, Neverwinter nights, just to name a few are way better. Just for the fact you can mod them...

So hopefully they fix it.

11. 3devious

3devious Avatar

We all have our pet issues like player character models and the overland map. Almost each of us are screaming about how "feature X is the most important aspect of the game and if you don't have it, it's all over!" Sorting through it all is an unenviable task. At least I don't have to do it and when the team does it in a way I wouldn't have I can kvetch about it. I'm mostly kidding!

Apollyon9515 and Time Lord like this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

13. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

I can see your point, but that isnt really a opinion. Ill explain like this, yes a car is nice to have usb,cd player, leather, tvs, ect any feature you want. If the Frame of the car is built out of bad metal the rest of those features dont mater in the slightest. As with this game, have all the features you want player models, overland map, ect, but if the server doesnt work then the game is garbage, as would a car made with a bad frame.

In this post people have stated the game is not peer 2 peer. That I am not the only one with people skipping around the screen, so if that is the case, I am not sure how people can even play the game. I hear all this discussion about what pvp should be. Well all that balance and talk is useless, when some one standing next to you skips across the whole map, so you were sitting there hitting them for 5 seconds, cause you thought they were standing, but in reality they were running away from you.

Now if it just me getting the lag, well... Then i suppose it is my problem. I am not sure how, considering when i looked at how much of my network it was using, it wasent to its limits. I was considering it might be fps lag, since i only get 15-20 fps, but that cant be it, because the game it self doesnt skip, like me or the plants, just other players.

Apollyon9515 and Time Lord like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"To Play or Not to Play"
    I am closely monitoring the connectivity issue which I hope gets much better :)
    "To connect or be in disconnect, that is the question. Whether it is more noble in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or fix it"...
    I'm staying the course that connectivity will become better...
    ~Time Lord~o_O

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

lol guys...

I'm also lagging and bugging (major bugs often I fall through the screen) all over the place, but since everything seems to be set against a 15 year old standard... it's normal we lag.

What I don't get is why they ask us to stress the servers if they can't even take 40 people in an instance without lagging for the last few releases...

I think the UI is much better and starting to work solid for me, kudos to that (Y)

What particularly hit me is how dumb the NPCs are... my avatar was insulted, talked down, ignored and became the angriest man in new britannia, until he met a beautiful lady and forgot all about it :)

Apollyon9515 likes this.
  16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I just can't help but imagine someone trying to setup a jousting tournament... sorry for the delays Mr.Knight we have to clear the audience every joust cause we have to be fair to everyone...

RDouglas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.