Unity being sold?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Sigh, it's probably going to be EA. Been there, done that. A little eerie too.

3. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Why would EA need another in-house engine, though? They've already got Frostbite, which was both desktop and mobile variants.

4. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit Avatar

I'm thinking Google. Wasn't it rumored that they were interested in it in the past?

mike11 likes this.
  5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Google and MS both expressed interest. I would not be surprised if they sold out.

Unity5 (alpha) does not sound to be shaping too well. There is not a depth of features like first "promoted" but that is also no surprise considering Epic shifting into their space at a ridiculously low entry point.

Unity T. has never really been good about fast turn around, and trying to stuff it all out the door from the 4.6 beta to U5 by the end of the year may just be the tip point. I mean, give anyone 1-2bn and they wouldn't sell?

Anyone who says no is full of crap unless they are already rich and have no need for more money.

6. smack

smack Avatar

What about Facebook? They throw around billions as if it were pocket cash.

TheMadHermit and mike11 like this.
  7. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

You know with a comment like that someone is bound to spit the dummy out and claim something like "OMG!1 Facebook will force SOTA to have a like button in the UI!!!111 Mark my w3rds."

Sometimes my patience runs low when people jump to unnecessary conclusions (yep, irony for the win). :p

It would be interesting to ask the questions about what risks are there to SOTA from a potential change in Unity ownership without the melodrama. :)

8. smack

smack Avatar

I don't think SotA would be impacted in the short term if Unity were to be bought (by anyone). Long term (post v5?), you never know.

I was thinking FB more along the lines of building Rift (and yes...Facebook) support directly into the Unity engine. You no longer need separate SDKs to plug into Unity. This ensures that every Unity game made can now have this native Rift (...and FB) integration. I mean, at some point they need to help all these games run in the Oasis, right? :p

TheMadHermit and Jatvardur like this.
  9. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Well SotA could buy it then put it up as a stretch goal for stock market shares as investors in the game... DOh!!!

:confused:

10. Jimirillo

Jimirillo Avatar

*spits out dummy*

OMG!1 Facebook will force SOTA to have a like button in the UI!!!111 Mark my w3rds.

(well, someone had to say it)

Jatvardur likes this.
  11. selbie

selbie Avatar

2 billion seems to be a popular number at the moment. It certainly won't be Microsoft if they are already approaching Mojang for 2 billion. Though I suppose it could be a good backup plan if that purchase fails.

TheMadHermit likes this.
  12. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

They might not need another engine but they can always find a reason why its good to end up with one less competitor.

Ok, in that case this doesnt sound very realistic at all but never discount the crazy ideas of business people. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.