NO LOOTING IN PVP???

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Isaiah, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

anybody else see a problem with this?

I heard a moderator in one of the other threads named B who said there will be no looting.

Now with a system where PvP is optional, shouldn't those who partake, also have real risk, and real booty!?!?

Gold isn't a good trade off because it has no stable value. Ore, Armor, Weapons, etc have real value! Also if a smith can make 20 swords and armor in 5 minutes but people use the same sword and shield for a month where will crafting be?

Am I the only one who is upset there is no looting? Any thoughts out there?

DavenRock likes this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

another person said maybe they can make it take longer to make a weapon...

my answer is if it takes an hour to make one sword, then why not be an adventurer and make 150x the gold in that same time frame.

DavenRock likes this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Great news, I saw Chris in Chat and he said there will be guilds 'n such that will allow for full loot PvP!!! I knew these guys were good!

DavenRock likes this.
  4. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

They need to just have a stone that you click on that gives a special title to those who volunteer for PvP . I don't see why you should have to join a guild. What if I don't want to be in a guild or be a ********?

What if I want to be a lone wolf that players are free to kill and loot? But hate the complications associated with guilds?

5. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Agree with Acrylic. Guilds are for weak RPers. Real PKs don't wolfpack, and are solo masters of the universe.

6. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

then as a suggestion, how about two or three universal guilds (or maybe religions/alinements, etc.) for people, who want to go PK or Counter-PK without having to join a guild (like Dark Souls did for example)

7. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

@AndiZ275
    That sounds like a step in the right direction. It wouldn't necessarily have to pit these guilds against each other though. An few elite universal guilds that require open PvP and Full Looting in general, might entice more people.

It might not even need perks just a title to acknowledge "here is who I am" hardcore old school gamer.

This would create a facet for the players who don't want to kill other players but enjoy defending themselves then looting the perpetrator.

In the Markee Dragon interview, MD explains to Richard the thrill of hauling that pack mule back to town loaded with ore. Knowing that the chance of being killed and looted was there.

Not everyone is a Pk or Anti-Pk...some are just adrenaline junkies. The rush is not as fun though unless you know you just accomplished something that has been put in place for everyone. It's a mute point to argue though because as soon as you mention it, people start pointing the murder finger at you.

8. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

Gear is going to need to be balanced so that it is not too important in your overall characters ability, like in UO. It will be increasingly hard for them to balance it if they dont have an all encompassing world loot system to monitor how much loosing all your gear effects you. Hopefully they look at this from the get go.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The way I understood it you can be a PKer. In fact you will likely find only the people who are fully lootable. There may be a few other "relevant" players that aren't but their loot might suck anyway. I

f it is how I picture it from the reply I heard it seems quite likely it will have that experience. You can be a PK solo, and/or in a guild. There will be people you can fully loot, and you'll find them.

DavenRock likes this.
  10. marthos

marthos Avatar

"Gold isn?t a good trade off because it has no stable value"

You're assuming that this game's economy will be broken like all the others. Let's hope that's not the case!

"Ore, Armor, Weapons, etc have real value!"

Yes, but they need to get destroyed in PvP combat, not looted. That will keep the economy in check by having wealth be consumed. That will keep gold meaningful.

"Also if a smith can make 20 swords and armor in 5 minutes but people use the same sword and shield for a month where will crafting be?"

That's another big assumption about the crafting system! I doubt it will be that easy to make 20 swords. But your point stands, the sword and shield need to be consumed. But what you're failing to understand is that when you LOOT that sword and shield, it is still in-use for a month...only the owner changed. That wealth still exists in the economy. A better solution would be that most of the gear of the guy you killed is destroyed, and only part of it is lootable. PvP would then serve as a great way to take wealth out of the economy rather than it be a simple system of wealth transfer.

"my answer is if it takes an hour to make one sword, then why not be an adventurer and make 150x the gold in that same time frame"

If it takes an hour to make one sword, the crafter will sell that sword for roughly the same amount of gold you can make in an hour (supply/demand will alter this ballpark estimate). If crafting is only 1/150th as profitable as adventuring, crafters are going to go to another game that appreciates them more.

11. Machuell

Machuell Avatar

The problem with looting in PvP is that it rewards griefing more so than actual fair PvP fights. The problem with toggled PvP looting is that you will end up being the only one flagged for being lootable and that will defeat the purpose entirely. The problem with PvP zones is that it kills organic world PvP. There's a lot of problems that will have to be kinked out for PvP to appeal to the majority of players.

In my opinion, they should not restrict PvP in the slightest in the beginning and see how it evolves. Make everyone lootable, but give them a place to store their valuables that is mostly secure. By mostly secure, I mean make it tough to break into and steal, but still possible. You just have to find the balance of making it just difficult enough that no high level players would bother trying to take the lowbies' gear, but breaking in to a rich person's house seem enticing enough to try while never making it impossible or simple.

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

"The problem with looting in PvP is that it rewards griefing more so than actual fair PvP fights"

This presumes that griefing is possible in SotA where PvP will be by consent only.

What do you suggest is an example of griefing you might see in SotA?

13. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I dont wanna be in guilde and i wanna be loot when i DIE !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.