Dual map hex questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aradove, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aradove

Aradove Avatar

I don't think I quite understand exactly how this hex mechanic is operated and would like some clarification. What I am confused about is I have heard that each hex with have a random map picked based on location. Like a grassland hex will pick a map from the say 1-15 grassland maps available when a player zones in. One question is: does that grassland hex randomly pick a new grassland map from the stock each time a grassland instance is started or has that grassland hex been hard coded with a random grassland map from the beginning. grassland. Another question I have is: will you only see other players in that same hex or same map? I assume the same hex in this answer. The third question I have: if I were to want to meet up with a friend in a particular hex how will I know I am on the hex they are on if we can't actually see them. I'm not sure how big or small they actually are. Thanks!

2. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

The map used to actually show the hexes but I think people complained about immersion...

[​IMG]

right now when you enter a hex, it's tied to a specific map; each entry will get a new copy if you are in SPO, and it will try to match you up with others in an existing instance if you are in MPO. If an active instance doesn't exist, it'll create one (same if the instance(s) are full at capacity).

as for finding friends, you can party up and see each other in the overland map or if you do happen to enter the same hex, because you are friended in-game, it will try to match you into the same instance, etc.

licemeat, Koldar and Aradove like this.
  3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I would like an option to turn the overland map hexes on / off.

licemeat, Mata, smack and 4 others like this.
  4. Aradove

Aradove Avatar

Alright...thanks Seir. Ok... I have another question on world design since the hexes are tied to a map. I'm not arguing the view I'm about to make is better or should have been done. It's just what I would have done if I were designing this game. Why wasn't a very large world map created first? If they had done that then each hex would be automatically lined up with each other. This would have allowed hex to hex travel if so desired. As it stands now, the world feels kind of odd. You can't just go get lost in the woods exploring because a wall pops up out of nowhere. If I want to explore the hill out in the distance, I can't because the screen fades to black. The land outside Owlshead goes from city road to open field without a view of the city that is 500 yards away. It's just weird. I don't mind the over world map(albeit the loading times at this point are extreme). I just wish they reserved it for fast travel. Why did they choose to make random maps for hexes instead of breaking an entire world up into hexes?

Ok...this is visually what I'm asking or explaining.
    [​IMG]

A - Computer generate a giant map world similar to Minecraft does only in Unity.

B - Use the same exact hex system that is in place now. Make all the maps for the hexes using the world map as a template.

C - Detail a hex map accordingly. If there needs to be a city, town, dungeon...whatever. Exactly like it is done now.

The only step I would add is A. Everything else is exactly the same. This would allow hex to hex travel. This would allow the land to feel like a real land. The computer generated world would eventually be shaped exactly how the dev team would like in due time. The scenes that have been created already could easily be incorporated into the map.

Drystone likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That's easy....time.

Aradove likes this.
  6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Well... time and flexibility. Not having a world completely "baked" into place makes it a thousand times earlier to add new content, our replace existing content

Aradove likes this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

There will be many hexes/scenes in the final map. Far too many to have an individual area for each hex. So if there would be hex to hex travel you would basically walk through the exact same areas over and over again. I doubt that this would be very interesing or exciting...

Gaelis and Aradove like this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The short answer:
    So that they can unite the shards - ie so that all players can play on the same server set regardless of population.
    Long answer:

Aradove and Koldar like this.
  9. Hodekin

Hodekin Avatar

Since the maps are recycled, does that mean that one hex may the same exact map as another but with different monsters, nodes of resource...etc? That will be very twilight zoneish

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Pretty much, yes.
    Each hex will have its designated map. But the MOBs and nodes on it can be randomized.
    Then to top it off depending on conditions when you enter including random events then there can be completely new stuff happening, like random encounters, or quest hooks etc.

smack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.