Achievements are a stretch goal?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Lendrick, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lendrick

Lendrick Avatar

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Achievements are a Stretch goal? Is this the case? One of my favourite things in MMOS is gaining achievements and it allows you to do things you might not normally do if not for gaining that achievements. I would ask that maybe there is also a way to spend Achievement points, perhaps on Titles or other such cosmetic fluff items.

Please make them flashy when you achieve them, WOW has the best looking achievements, and EQ2 the worst, so something in between could be good. Further maybe things like being a "Royal Founder" or "Founder" could be a good "Feat of Strength" achievement to have (ie, nobody else joining the game later would be able to achieve it).

Heres hoping!!

Gunnar Macleod and Montaigne like this.
  2. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Agreed! I love achievements. They help by keeping me engaged in a game. I remember seeing my first Lord and Lady title when I first started playing UO in 1998. It was truly something special that I finally achieved by killing Ogre Lords in Wrong a couple of years later. I like the idea of earning a special title through achievements, too.

Gunnar Macleod and Logain like this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

They've talked about achievements in the past (like last year), but never officially committed to it. I haven't heard anything about this for quite some time. It's likely off the table again for Ep1 for both standalone achievements or even Steam achievements. Perhaps this can be a question of the week?

Arianna, Gaelis and Net like this.
  4. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Please give the achievements substance. None of this: "First Page! You have received this achievement on 2014/09/25 for loading the game's title page".

Edit: Just to add to this, a lot of modern day console games have confused statistics for achievements.

Lord Baldrith, Gaelis, Net and 2 others like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Wow achievements hasn't been talked about for ages but I don't think that necessarily indicates priority. From a development standpoint they're fairly cheap to do.

When last we heard the devs talk about it, achievements might include special items. One example I remember fairly clearly was a special cloak and I believe they also talked about the Throne of Bones. Essentially cosmetic items were a possibility.

As the topic has come up again I will reiterate a major concern of mine in regards to achievements. Absolute NO achievement should be based on virtue. They should be neutral. The reason for this is that players who are completest will work towards getting ALL achievements regardless. Whether it be achieving perfect virtue or having a high bounty on their head for committing X number of murders. This would be utterly contrary to Richard wanting players to be themselves as virtue based achievements encourage just the opposite..

That said.. I agree with Dean478. No lame achievements you get just by playing. They should be something significant.

Net, KuBaTRiZeS and Logain like this.
  6. Undelivered

Undelivered Avatar

I think achievements would be easy to implement.

7. Net

Net Avatar

I sort of hope I will not see any achievements, I do not get most achievemnts... and in most games with them I think that people do not play the game, but play the achievements, it is meta game I do not get.

In any case I hope we avoid silly achievemnts (kill X enemies, craft Y items, spend Z in inns) or extremely silly achievements (log into multiplayer, complete the first mission, open your journal, place your first piece of furniture).

Besides I prefer in-game achievements that are not called achievements (get Coat of Arm, lot, house, find a secret room to get hidden treasure...). There might be other achievemnts (unique item for finishing hard sidequest or something along those lines). Or winning in the Bear Brawl tournament. I mean we can achieve things without having to have achievements.

Anyway if achievemnts get in, I do not care (as long as there are no ingame reward for them). I am just bit worried that I will see people slaughtering deers or some other sill behaviour driven by their need to get some s equally silly achievement.

Lord Baldrith, Sunswords, TEK and 2 others like this.
  8. Gunnar Macleod

Gunnar Macleod Avatar

If you have limited time achievements could be a good thing, especially something as simple as "explorer" for when you have visited all map areas.

Mata likes this.
  9. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome pbaker0804!

10. Gunnar Macleod

Gunnar Macleod Avatar

Thanks! Good to be here...

Mata likes this.
  11. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

A lot of people really liked WAR's Tome of Knowledge. It would be cool to see something like that in SOTA, but I don't think achievements are really necessary or needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.