Giant Chess Set

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by treehoofer, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehoofer

treehoofer Avatar

So...I would buy probably two of these if the pieces can be stripped from the board and used as decoration. I saw the pieces that were taken off to the side. I wanted to know if this set is really just one entity or if it was 32 pieces and a board that could be independent of each other.

[​IMG]

2. smack

smack Avatar

I'm going to guess that you'll get a bag or chest that contains the entire set as individual pieces. You can then use these as decorations anywhere in your house just like any other household object. And yes, you can even choose to individually place the pieces on the chess board and "play" the game by moving the pieces around on the board or off it to show captures.

I'll also guess that the #1 request after this is released will be an auto-decorate function, so you don't have to manually place 32 pieces on the board, centered, color matched, and oriented correctly, each and every time you want to play / reset the board.

3. selbie

selbie Avatar

So it won't be functioning as a mini game where the pieces move automatically?

Derium likes this.
  4. treehoofer

treehoofer Avatar

I didn't even think about that.... I hope they are listening to that idea before release.

5. smack

smack Avatar

Well you never know...perhaps they have done it but didn't mention it or have plans to do so. But if they haven't, at least we know it's possible:

The author made the code available here, for free commercial use:
    http://chessforeva.blogspot.com/2010/10/unity3d-chess-project.html

Miracle Dragon, Mata, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  6. Net

Net Avatar

7. Lained

Lained Avatar

There's no need to guess the description is quite clear.

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I love the chess set, it looks amazing. But I was actually disappointed that it was so huge. Where would I put that thing? Will I see chess pieces on everyone's front yard now? Are people going to use those chess pieces as blockers?

I think the chess set is probably about 20 times the size it should've been. Oversized would've been great (the size of a large table perhaps), but this is too much. I didn't buy it for that reason.

Net likes this.
  9. treehoofer

treehoofer Avatar

Ha... I was so worried about what I wanted I read right over it. Good eye.

Net likes this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

Without further usability enhancements, like zoomed in view, grid-based placement locking, etc., a small chest set would be mostly just decorative. I guess it depends on how much smaller you can make it without it becoming too difficult to use. The size of a large table might work, but I guess your mileage may vary.

And I actually felt it was still too small and would love to see a Titan-sized version :)

Net and Arianna like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Are all games going to be like that then? In most houses that chess set is going to look like some installed wall to wall carpet. I don't know how difficult it was to create the crafting stations, but to me this should just be an extension of that functionality. It should be a portable crafting station that multiple people can view, if they so desire.

The large variant is cool, but I don't think it should be the norm.

12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I was assuming (hoping) that this was just an over-sized version of normal chess boards that would be found in-game on inn table tops and the like. Although I love this giant board, I'd be disappointed if this was the only way 2 avatars could play chess.

13. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah, I would preffer chessboard that fits on the table, but maybe we get those too in the future? I hope so.

14. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I was surprised to hear that a chess set was available in the 'add-on' store, but for a rare 'giant' chess board, it makes sense. the normal sized ones will likely be craftable and available in-game.

smack, licemeat and Net like this.
  15. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I like the idea of the chess set, and I am certainly happy to see some more things happening in the add-on store (it had been far too long without new items, IMO). Personally, I think if the chess set were limited in the number available (like the Oracle Head) I would be more encouraged to make the purchase.

Spoon, Miracle Dragon, smack and 2 others like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

I second that. Because it's not limited, I share the concern that it will end up the "throne of bones" on everyone's lawn.

Spoon, smack and Koldar like this.
  17. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

@Why-no-small-chess-people:

Every damn time Portalarium makes something new it starts:
    -Why can't we have tricones without masks!
    -Why can we only buy horses with real money!
    -Why can we only play chess on huge boards!

People, please!
    Why is every new thing automatically bloody exclusive in your eyes? Nobody stops Portalarium to create variations of already existing things. Or make new things that work similar. Or even completly different!

Every thing here is in development and it will hopefully stay like that for a long long time.

Derium and Miracle Dragon like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

I give feedback so they can use that feedback. I don't see how they can create variations that are closer to what the community might want if they don't get this feedback.

When I heard people complain about the masks on the carnival hats, I didn't get it.
    When I heard people complain about the overland map, I didn't get it.
    When I heard people complain that we could only buy horses with real money I said "no that's not true" because it's not true.

But I valued the feedback, even when I didn't get it.

The point is, this is a forum that is here primarily for feedback. If the forum is only here to say "awesome job creating that chess set that will fill up my entire front yard!" then it's not really serving much of a purpose. We could probably get scripted responses to populate the forums like that.

Derium, licemeat, KuBaTRiZeS and 4 others like this.
  19. Knight Commander Tyncale

Knight Commander Tyncale Avatar

I bet you played Everquest and miss that Giant sized Chessboard in Butcherblock. :)

[​IMG]

Net, RelExpo, Miracle Dragon and 2 others like this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

You read my mind. +1000 points for you. Man, I can still hear the EQ music in my head...

Miracle Dragon and Koldar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.