Scripting....legal or No??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haz, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haz

Haz Avatar

I've been watching this one toon, he moves in a triangle pattern, seldom takes more than 1/10th of his health bar in damage, and he's killing regularly. He's making money, not a giant amount, but is making money, probably getting very little in the way of experience.

So, is scripting ok, or NO??

2. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I was doing that all weekend in north valewood, by hand, to strip copper ore.

Could be scripted, but it is hard to determine when resource re-pop, so maybe not for that.

For mob kills? sure, they respawn quick.

But it easy/would be super simple to script with AHK.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's a small development team and they have their hands full. I doubt it will be "legal" but I doubt they'll stop it either. Developers always talk big when it comes to scripting but few actually back it up.

Hopefully they do some periodic sweeps and just perma-ban the heck out of the worst offenders. That should put fear enough into anyone that paid decent money for this game to stop doing it.

Leos, Logain and Lord Andernut like this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I can see how someone benefits from scripting as described in the opening post.

But its supposed to be about experiencing the journey, not automating a grind.

5. Haz

Haz Avatar

You said the magic word....grind. I made 30 k today, killing the same two type mobs over and over. Got myself a better village lot than I had last release (bit better location). Now I need to do another 20k for the Nordic house, (had the pavillion last time). It ain't nothing but grinding to get the lot and house, after that, I can play, take it easy, look for problems that haven't been reported etc.

I'm gonna be gone for a few days over the holiday, but come the weekend of the 6th and 7th, I'll be back on regularly. If anyone is still sans a home, and needs to be friended to a place, let me know. After the house, a basement will go in, and I'll rent ya an entire floor, all ya gotta pay is share some time, company and ideas. That shouldn't present a problem....should it??

LOL,
    Haz

6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

You could try talking to the player to see if they're afk and just running a macro. I'm not sure if I'd name and shame them on the forums (may be against the rules) but you may want to report the player.

Montaigne likes this.
  7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would say that at this stage anyone running scripts could be classed as part of testing.

8. enderandrew

I know of one person is doing some testing that they ran past Portalarium. They got permission and part of what they're doing is to test and see what is properly secure and what can be exploited so others don't do it in the future. That player is communicating with the team. They're not just running a macro to get gold for their benefit.

That being said, repeating the same grind between wipes is a bit of a chore.

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

To be honest, I've never had an issue with people scripting for personal gain. What I don't like are people who bot script for commercial purposes to sell gold etc.

If I look back on UO, I've probably scripted every skill at some point or another (bar the ones that are still useless after 17 years). I still remember sitting on a boat doing 8*8 macroing. Making world maps and selling to vendors (rail to the bank etc). Macroing making dartboard deeds and them smelting them (weird bug). In fact in UO, I don't know anyone who has macroed/scripted at one point or another.

I think in many ways for Shroud, how much resource should be realistically put into this considering no game (even the one with blank cheque books) have ever managed to prevent it. My view is to target ones who do for commercial purposes, these are the ones that are normally easy to go spot as well.

Resurrected, Duke Raas and HokageFont like this.
  10. HokageFont

HokageFont Avatar

We'll said

11. Haz

Haz Avatar

As I'm sure you noticed, I didn't name any names or locations. Basically, it's cause I feel much the same way. I can't fault anyone for scripting at this point, but once released.....I may feel differently. I haven't actually scripted in UO, but had some complex macros that I could run continuously, to do just about anything I wanted. The grind between releases has me wondering how to make it easier, but I'm not a coder (at least not for the last 12 yrs or so), and was just an amatuer back then. Only barely scratched the surface of crafting, but thats where my macros will come in. PvE combat has been alot of fun (most of the time), so that's gonna be a manual thing for me, can't let the computer have a better time than me don't cha know.

HokageFont likes this.
  12. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Just because you can't stop scripting doesn't mean it's not worth the attempt to limit it.

Sure, if you don't pvp or buy lots other players might want or interact with other players at all then I don't care. But if someone can run a bot to gain the highest levels or run bots grinding gold 24x7 to buy lots before other players who might have wanted them then it does impact other players. It's not a single-player game (unless that's the mode you choose to play - then by all means script/bot yourself out).

If someone can bot for gold and buy-out the reagents for spells before I can that impacts me as well, if my chosen profession is hunting for reagents and someone else uses bots to gather them and sell them dirt-cheap that impacts my chosen profession.

It's not a victimless deed. As long as levels/gold/skills/resources have value in the world then I'm against players running bots to achieve them.

Now - Scripting for player or guild or RP activities I don't mind.

13. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

There is a huge difference between running a macro and a script!

One of the most tedious parts of this game so far is crafting, and I'm assuming that it's by design. Most players will quickly burn out on crafting and its monotony, thus allowing for the player run economy to actually work. If it were easy, then everyone would craft their own items, and there would be no need for community at all. If scripting were allowed, it would seriously undercut the player economy, and crash the system before it began.

So let's face facts here, if your a fan if having a program auto run for you, your not really playing a game are you. Your taking the easy way out, allowing a computer to do your work for you. Where Is the fun in that? We play games for fun right? For a diversion from our various realities, whatever they may be.

I like the original posters intent, I'd like a statement about scripting right from the start! Clear in its intention, laying the groundwork for penalties. I have a zero tolerance policy for this type of activity. I've seen first hand how it destroyed UO, I'd not like to witness it here on SotA! However I also realize that in testing there us a need for some with the skill to test what can be done, in order to develop the systems to track those that will eventually try to do it!

Vote NO on scripting! It's a game killer!

14. Net

Net Avatar

You can craft with autoclicker no need for anything complicated, doubleclick recipe, wait, doubleclick crafting button, wait and repeat.

Honestly, I think that any stuff in game that is as tedius as clicking buttons in a pattern is not fun and as a bonus it is easily avoidable with macro or script. I think that crafting should require bit of player input in not easily programmable way. I guess that anyone with some time and programming skills will be able to make script for nearly anything, but the point is, playing the game should be fun. Not mindless doubleclicking everything.

15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would say that all depends on whether you put auto-loop at the end of a macro.

16. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

So you want us to think that everyone we run across botting is doing it for the "team" I think not my friend. Not to mention when I see people with 2 accounts and a healer just following them spamming heals on the person while they fight 20 mobs and level like lightning.

17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

What a great idea!!........I have about 7 accounts :D

18. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

Omg, I'm going to smash my iPad! Just tapped out a response to net and invidia.. It froze and then reloaded! Ugggg

Duke Invidia (Envy) likes this.
  19. Resurrected

Resurrected Avatar

About 7 accounts?

You got a mitten on one hand and ran out of fingers to count all of them? :D:p:D

20. enderandrew

I didn't say that at all.

Someone was saying that botting is fine because it is testing. I said I know of only one person who has permission from Portalarium to do any type of testing like that, and they are truly testing as opposed to botting for personal gain.

I don't like botting. I don't support it. I'm all for preventing and reporting it, but we'll see what Portalarium's stance on it is.

Heavy Smoker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.