Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Game is Unplayable due to there only being *one* combat sound effect- which an awful *pop* noise.

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Ronny, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The only problem with updating the .assets file yourself is that everything that file gets patched, you have to repeat your work.

2. Ronny

Ronny Avatar

It takes a few minutes to do, if you're slow at it. Pretty quick & easy process.

Hopefully we will see the new sound effects like Darkstarr wants for R13. Then there will be no reason to alter the sounds.

enderandrew likes this.
  3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i can see it now - replacing it with a "Boinioioioiiiioooiiing!".... or maybe something from three stooges....

Ronny and Duke Violation like this.
  4. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

The images scale based on the size of the window. Or, at least they do in Chrome. Clicking on the image automatically expands it to full size. One option that I've toyed with is using spoiler tags to hide images solely for the purpose of keeping my posts a little cleaner.

Ronny likes this.
  5. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I think this thread is a great example of an untapped resource SotA devs could be using to help further parts of the game. I'd love to see Portalarium introduce APIs to different parts of the system so community developers could contribute to the game in some way. Yes, it takes time to manage the effects of external code, and maintain a customer facing API, but if it's done correctly I think it could really help add value to the game. :)

prospereau and Ronny like this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

Depending on how they are patching, this may cause problems. If they are doing file diff patches, any modification to your files will cause patch problems. If they are doing file replacement patches then you will be ok, but wasting effort since you have to repeat it. I'm sure someone will come up with an easier tool or script the import process.

So, before anyone continues, I'd suggest asking the devs on how they are doing the patches. You do not want to cause all kinds of support headaches that they now have to troubleshoot for (unknowingly) hacked clients. It will eat up resources that they could have spent fixing real bugs instead.

Tarsin, Joviex and Montaigne like this.
  7. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Also, if they wanted to extend this to real "mod"ification, they could allow for in-folder placement overrides, rather than hacking resource .asset files (which may indeed become encrypted at some point).

E.G. this music file might be in the "PAK" structure of asset/audio/music/soundtracks/blah blah blah.ogg

If one was to replicate the structure, and place a similar named file in that position, the code could source from there first, rather than the internal asset.

Granted, this is ABOVE and BEYOND the setup of a typical Unity project, but:

A) Entirely possible to do
    B) Exposes no licensed assets via hacking the .asset files
    C) Allows for the community to build up "mods" ala Skyrim-esque overrides

Cheers.

smack likes this.
  8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

this begs a few questions..

will they let it be open source enough to officially allow hacks like this, or is this for testing only?

do they plan on releasing an addon API so we can have tons of fun with it?

Lord Baldrith and Ronny like this.
  9. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I understand the concern for sound effects but the game isn't quite a game yet no? Its still a construction zone as the discalimer at the start up of the game suggests, so i will give the devs some breathing room on giving sound effects some fine tuning

10. Ronny

Ronny Avatar

Thanks for this tip.

I put all images in spoilers, thanks to you :)

Have a great day!

11. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Mr Starr needs to make a trip to the Zoo to capture some animal sounds until then I turn the sound down and when I get in a fight I kick the dog for added realism! (joke!)

12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

In all seriousness though, you should tell @melchiormeijer what sounds you'd love redone.

I am 99.999% sure that is who DS is referring to as doing the sounds -- he has been pushing them to do that since like months.

13. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I guess if Portalarium sees something out of place about your posts/contributions @Ronny, they will act accordingly. They have not done that yet so i assume it is ok (until now). So, lets have all peace :)

Ronny likes this.
  14. Lord Viator

Lord Viator Avatar

Ronny likes this.
  15. Ronny

Ronny Avatar

Thank you :)
    The thread is perfect now, thanks to you deleting all of that. Thanks again. Great moderation!

I've never been to a community that had such a friendly community. Not just great moderators, but great policy, and a great playerbase!

SotA seems to have the BEST community of any MMORPG's I've ever played- and I used to live for MMO's so I've played them all- so that is saying something. Way to go SotA! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.