Story Explanation for the Hex-map

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Krellian, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krellian

Krellian Avatar

Are there any storyline explanations as to why the hex map exists with the instances?

Is it due to the sundering for example?

What exists between each hex? Is it an imaginary thickened forest that cannot be traveled upon? Or perhaps it is a tear in space and time! Can I go on a quest through a network of catacombs that represent this tear in space and time if I follow the right storyline or cast the right spell?

What is supporting the artificial walls preventing movement to the next land except for the tunnel at one or two sides of the map? Is it one of the magicks I am tapping into? Moon magic even - due to the sundering causing the hex upon the earth! Can I lean close to the edge of a map and draw upon this force to enhance my magicks?

Has some wize old wizard decided whereupon these hex maps will be placed to keep peace with the forces which caused it to begin with? Who is he struggling with to ensure that they be maintained? How can I learn of this great magick kingdom led by this sagely figure?

Perhaps it is not a cause of wonder and delight but, one twist of fate and darkness that we are all to be tied to these bounds. Whereupon terrible, plotting lords and bureaucrats pay their cloak-and-dagger dark mages to exploit the lands. They tear apart the very order of the physical world, leaving gaping holes of unreality in between each land. - The hero of the story is maintaining the roadways between the lands with portals, keeping them free from falling into the abyss, requiring help of the otherworlders to keep it from being populated by bandits while his kingdom devotes time and resources into maintaining the systems which hold entire lands and passageways from slipping out of time.

"Careful otherworlder, as you walk the passageways between the realities of this world you will feel the darkness of the void creeping in upon you. Ride headlong through the night until you reach the safety in the lands ahead of you so that our quest doesn't yet come to an end!"

2. Krellian

Krellian Avatar

Perhaps a great black hole exists on the other side of the sundering, or some other sort of cosmic force - emitting energy beams across the land. Before the sundering, the planet was protected from these rays by it's moon. After the sundering, a honeycomb of networks exists, in the image of the broken mass overhead. Each hex corresponding to the size of one fragment yet protecting the land.

The in-between areas exist in another dimension, it's inhabitants stripped of all connections to this reality. Is that their voices I hear in the night sometimes as I travel the roads? Entrapped souls on the other side of the void?

3. Krellian

Krellian Avatar

Has a great master druid caused the forests to bind and create great walls, the mountains to rise and become impassable to protect from what is on the other side? :D

4. Krellian

Krellian Avatar

Better yet.. the tesla towers are sending wireless power shields around the planet (like Tesla imagined originally, and what is in reality HAARP) - the best ones in the good cities of course. Around the edge of these shields, the earth and any plants grow out of control where there is a clash between the shields and the void on the other side - causing a huge wall on the opposite side of the tesla barriers.

I have heard that when Tesla turned on his what might be called 'early version of HAARP' - the sky erupted in a small display of nothern lights. Maybe we will see this in some of the maps where a key tesla tower is positioned that maintains the "cells" even beyond it's own town location.

5. smack

smack Avatar

Some pretty creative explanations for the dual scale map design! I'll throw one out there:

As an avatar, you manifest yourself in some physical form in New Britannia, but this is only fully realized within a town or generically, a scene. When you exit the physical confines of the scene, your avatar manifests itself as a wandering spirit on the Overworld, able to cover vast distances in a short time. And while on the Overworld, you have very limited actions as you cannot engage in combat or do much of anything -- except primarily only travelling across the land . But to fully control your manifestation again, you must enter a scene again. Occasionally though as you travel on the Overworld, you may be pulled back in to a scene through random encounters with the creatures within that scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.