Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Wearing Full Plate and Casting Spells

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Isaiah, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The reason I'm bothering to bring this up is that I just fought several people who are wearing full plate and casting Gust of Wind at me with 100% success. This is not good! Gust of wind has a stun and it is a long range spell. This isn't the kind of thing I would envision a weapon master wearing full plate would be doing. These are clearly tank mages. I know some people want to cast spells while wearing full plate, but it risks breaking the game.

I was testing out a few different configurations. I finally won one time while I was using pole arms, but when I realized their tactic relied on casting gust of wind I went back to pure mage because I played that the most this release. I wanted to gauge how effective this was, and I was amazed to see I wasn't even close to having a chance. I couldn't last more than about 30 seconds, and I could only get off one spell each time.

Personally I'm an advocate for having the chance to cast spells in heavy armor, and I'm also an advocate for people casting heals in heavy armor. However the other spells that are clearly magic user spells and it just should not be happening. They should have a high fizzle rate. Maybe even heavy armor wearers should be forced to use reagents to even cast spells.... even low level spells. This could further hinder heavy armor spell casting, but not completely stop people from trying it.

Net and Moonshadow like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Good luck, Isaiah!

I'll see the combat system again in R13. Until then, these conversations just seem like too much common sense (on your part) and not enough logical game design (on the game's part).

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i personally feel like they should give heal its fizzle back as a well, as removing it made the pure mage even less powerful

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Yup heavy armour, casting life spells with no fizz...casting water spells .....casting gusts of wind.

I actually gave up on PvP earlier today, anyone who doesn't wear plate can't survive......and the lag omg it reminds me of playing UO for the first time on a 28.8k modem.

Can't really see myself doing much more random PvP in this release.....it's just too painful for me.

5. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

the fact that almost every warrior in plate now uses heal and gust is very telling in my opinion.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Oh and don't forget the polearm with added reach.

KuBaTRiZeS and Moonshadow like this.
  7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm going to say it again....laaaaaag!

I actually kitted myself up in copper armour plate, polearm, heal spells, water spell. I did about 40 damage go someone and they killed me in 30 seconds......I put it down yo lag because I just saw a quick spam of damage appear.

I really hope that being based in the UK and there only being one server doesn't mean I wont be able to PvP effectively.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  8. Resurrected

Resurrected Avatar

I really hope that being based in the UK or Europe does not disadvantage us compared to NA players........Because there is a great European following that are chompimg at the bit to get this game rolling!

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

really? Maybe the healing ray spell should have a fizzle chance. The healing touch isn't as powerful. Warriors need to be able to heal. I'm sure they might add some kind of healing type skill or some kind of med kit thing (and of course more powerful healing potions). However I really think they need to have the opportunity to create the paladin type guy who can use healing touch.

Although if it mucks stuff up I won't gripe if they err on the side of fizzle.

EMPstrike and Moonshadow like this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Maybe they allowed it because some people were crying about not being able to cast spells in full plate. Now that we have evidence that it breaks the game they can say to them "Sorry we tried it and it mucked the dang game up". The devs are crafty that way.

If I log in at all before the next release I will be certain to remove the PvP flag. There is no point at this point. I just wanted to point this out in case nobody else noticed. I guess a lot of people noticed.

Moonshadow likes this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Hey didn't they say a while back that they would be putting a server some place in Europe. (not to break up the game world but to mitigate some issue).

I don't know because I haven't heard anything about it since. I could just be remembering things that happened in a dream a year or so ago, who knows. Although I could swear that they said something about it not separating the players but helping with lag or something like that. I don't know.

I think they said it was going to be in Turkey, or Czechoslovakia. I don't know. I'm not really good at all those countries 'n stuff.

12. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

13. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

The complaints about the increase fizzle risk wearing full heavy armour stemmed from the same PvP complaints leading to watered down magic. ie. weakened gust, root and basically useless conjured pets. Magic use mastery should come with a price...less potent melee attacks, armour restictions. But that should also mean that melee mastery should come with a price as well

14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Healing in full plate is OK , Paladin???? Other Offensive spells is not :-( what we don't have is a Cleric type of spells, we have just mage / warrior??? Balancing is defiantly needed keep on posting I will come (I Hope)

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ah Also remember there is still enchantments and the PvP / PvE Specials which we have seen none of , Yet :)

16. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

perhaps an innate under the healing tree that reduces the fizzle of healing spells in plate, that way everyone doesn't get to be a paladin for free, just like you can't be a melee archer for free.

Spoon likes this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Some of the mage spells don't seem to do all that bad (The Fire spells, Ice arrow, Obsidian Arrow) but their range isnt much longer than gust and gust is almost an insured with currently because melee is the closest to full functioning abilities there is so far (Archery Armor Pierce doesnt work, Ice spells dont slow, electric spells dont stun, etc). I think they should fix all the effects the attacks are supposed to cause, then see what happens for a while before making too many decisions.

Because currently you can not kite without root/disable shot. ^^

Good discussion friends, keep up the constructive opinions <3

Keira OFaolain, Leos and Moonshadow like this.
  18. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I like the idea of dedicated magic users not being able to wear armor above cloth. Maybe magic users could get bonuses for being dedicated magic users.

Lets say once you hit 200-300 points in magic you get a mastery bonus to damage but become unable to wear armor other than cloth? Once you hit 400-500 points your spells no longer need reagents, once you hit 600 points in magic you get a full time pet to help tank.

I have no idea what the actual numbers would need to be but a system that rewards you for putting most if not all of your points into magic, would be the idea.

This way, a melee fighter could use magic but they would never want to go so high in the magic system as to lose their plate armor. They could still use magic for healing and travel and even fighting to a point. But the person that loves magic and is dedicated it would get bonuses that would make them stand out as a "pure" magic user.

19. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

the movie fury follows a tank in ww2, some will want to reenact the movie as a tank mage

Moonshadow likes this.
  20. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

can you interupt ice arrow? I forget, if you can the bow will trump it, period, because lets face it, you don't need root, just disable shot, simply because it can't be interupted .......

Keira OFaolain and EMPstrike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.