Resource Nodes

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Krellian, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krellian

Krellian Avatar

Is there any plan to go to a UO-style resource gathering system - or is the current WoW "node" system the current plan for final release?

If nodes are the answer, will they be restricted to "wilderness" areas or, is it possible that a ratio of nodes will spawn in the areas supporting housing?

blaquerogue likes this.
  2. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

I really hope there becomes much more to mining then what there is now.

I heard tell of an actual mine being in the works (or maybe I am getting my games confused :oops:). Maybe we will hear something about it tommorow.

blaquerogue and Krellian like this.
  3. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

I have a feeling the resource nodes are likely here to stay. They have a mine, it just has a bunch of nodes in it though.

They REALLY need to fix the pathing thing you do when you try to use a node. It takes a long time and bugs out a lot. The underground mining nodes are the worst for this, several are entirely unusable due to it trying to path into a wall of falling off of a ledge part way through. Please just change it to doing the animation in the direction of the node when in range of it. Have the animation go on a bit longer if you want to it take a certain amount of time.

Also, for PvE areas please change the nodes to GW2 style where they are instanced per player. Especially since there is no more top level hex map with many instances.

Vaentorian, Jynx and enderandrew like this.
  4. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

I can live with having nodes if that is the way they have to do it. My problem is you just click it, collect it and then run off to find some other node. I think a player should be able to do each node multiple times before it goes away so it would feel more like mining than just collecting. Then with a few nodes in one area someone could actually spend some time mining a a bit in that area before they move on to another.

Lord Baldrith and enderandrew like this.
  5. Krellian

Krellian Avatar

Just summarizing some of my concerns to-date: I've voiced some concerns about the glyph system but, I think I will ultimately accept it. The instanced land doesn't bother me. Player junk piled in their property I'll coop with OK.

Resource nodes though, I'd have to put at my #1 pet peeve about the system. They have to go. Resource gathering should feel natural like it did in UO.

6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

According to some dev chat that I have no link to, Chris said, Remember that the resource nodes currently work at starting level skills, When the crafting system is turned on there will be more ore/logs gathered with higher skills. Not to even mention the better gathering tools.

So there is opportunity to chop multiple times yet. We'll have to see how they make it work.

7. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Good to hear!

8. Shadefox

Shadefox Avatar

My concern aswell, it has to be more than chop a node, run to next.. Any tool given bonus to quantity/quality wouldent change that. I put may fate in the dev team to make it more interesting when this part of the game is up for concideration.

KuBaTRiZeS and Sebastion like this.
  9. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Agreed. Mining involves going to a place and actively working to get ore out of the ground.

Hopefully with skill and tools you can work a node longer for more and not just get more in the one grab and go. That and we get some areas where there is a bit of mining that can be done(hell.. place the good mines in pvp zones. Would be fine by me.)

In the end I would like mining to be an activity that I can actually go some where and do it. It should even allow groups of people to mine together if they wish(there is no reason for mining to only be a solo activity in a multiplayer game).

It is more like a single person finding and picking flowers right now. Fine for gathering nighshade, cotton, and garlic. But it is not mining.

10. helm123

helm123 Avatar

When I envision multiple people mining I think of separate and distinctive tasks. One or two doing the actual mining while a couple others loads wagons/carts and head off to either trade what has been mined or drop it off to a couple others that are refining. I can dream of an in game mining company. Heck maybe even people being hired to mine by an in game company.

Wonder if they could place something similar to the basements underground that would have the mining resources (nodes) in it. Would have to be something above ground that would provide the visual clue of what lies beneath the surface.

Only problem with placing the richest mining areas in pvp areas is that it usually turns into a gank magnet as they sit around like vultures waiting to pounce on the lowbies as they mine. Ummm hired guards over watching the miners.

Sebastion likes this.
  11. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

I like the idea of setting up production as well and hope that type of thing is possible too.

Being able to have multiple people mining in an area would allow for socialization. Not such a loner activity. And as you pointed out more people being able to mine together would also make it harder on the 'wolves'.

The other game I play is also mostly a competing for nodes type of thing so you really cant mine with other people. People talk of the hired guards there too but in practice nobody wants to stand around doing nothing while you mine. I think in the end it would be better to have multiple people working together that could also defend themselves/each other.

helm123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.