Equipment with random bonus stats

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by jsopranik, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsopranik

jsopranik Avatar

I would love to the UO style crafting that allowed different bonus to randomly apply to items with crafting and looting so no 2 items were the exactly the same. If I craft an plate armor chest piece and 100000 other people create the same thing with identical stats on that item what is the fun in that?

Deity, blaquerogue, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  2. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I would love that as well, same for crafted weapons having random damage.

3. jsopranik

jsopranik Avatar

I agree, UO did several thing very close to perfect in my eyes and that was one of them. When you see someone wearing armor or hold a weapon I should just by looking at it know that the weapon can do X amount of damage or the armor protect from X amount of damage. Randomness is unique and I like that

4. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I used to love spending days crafting somthing over and over trying to get that one perfect or near perfect combination of stats on just one piece of equipment.. :)

5. jsopranik

jsopranik Avatar

I loved doing the same thing and it was very gratifying when you got it! Also using different metals to add to the bonuses I was looking for. I loved the mining aspect of UO too. You could mine almost anywhere you seen a mountain range and not marked by a glowing single spot on a rock. Also only certain spots provided different ore

6. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Yes I agree, iv mentioned that in a different thread. Call me spoild but no one hit crafting and harvesting on the head as UO did. I have hated crafting in any other MMO i have played.

blaquerogue, Time Lord and jsopranik like this.
  7. jsopranik

jsopranik Avatar

My thought exactly, I was really hoping this game was as close to UO as possible but a modern version of it, sota "the so called" spiritual successor of UO. I think they need to step up their game a little

8. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Its early yet i still hold out hope on a few things, if not i will adjust. :) just wont be as into crafting as i could be lol

9. jsopranik

jsopranik Avatar

I still have wishful thinking a few things myself, we shall see

10. Lained

Lained Avatar

The quality of the item being crafted will be dependent the players skill and the level of crafting station being used so not all items of the same recipe will be equal, there will also be the ability to craft an existing item to improve it though there's a chance of damaging the it in the process.

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This :rolleyes: discussion reminded me of an old D&D Item...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorpal_sword
    Taken from a poem written in 1871
    "The Vorpal Blade" as it was called, had magical properties and was used for extremely large creatures. The D&D Game had some stats to a sward by this name, yet a friend of mine modified those chance stats where, "as a sward, it generally sucked", yet every now and then, it had an ability to do extreme damage onto the target... and within those rare occasions, there was also a slim chance that it would obliterate the target.

Weapons such as this example, may not be the greatest thing to be swinging within any battle because of it's special ability/special chance, being so rare. Yet such weapons as this do create in the mind of any assailant, that they could actually be killed by a very low skilled Avatar. Such plays on the psyche of others can have a unique effect, even though such an item could be a generally terrible weapon of choice.

But still, such creations do add to our SotA's flavor of, "strange and random things can happen", no matter what level of skill any Avatar may have.
    Our game is destined to have known magical enhancements by way of placing known ingredients into something for a well known outcome, yet I still feel that we do need random objects of special magical properties to be built by our crafting players.

The stars, planets and Moons could also have an effect as to when there are times with which such magical items could be "possibly by chance made"... which would aide our crafting players to more deeply enjoy their gaming style ;)
    +1 For Random Magical Player Crafted Items :D!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

12. Deity

Deity Avatar

I agree

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.