Most Bang for the Buck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrimsonBinome, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrimsonBinome

CrimsonBinome Avatar

Hey guys,

I have been a proud backer during the original Kickstarter campaign and I wanted to first thank the community and developers for all the hard work they are putting into this game. I have been a long time reader and lurker on the forums but rarely post. Like many here, I am a large fan of this universe and have many many fond memories dating back to when I was very young, playing the original Ultima series etc., and I can't wait to see all this world has to offer.

With that said, I am currently a "Collector" and am thinking of dropping some extra coin in order to upgrade my account and secure a tax free lot. At avoiding the risk of babbling, I want to know what you folks think is worth it in a practical sense. I want as much access to crafting as is reasonable, extra item storage, a place to hang my boots and all the things that will give me the most"freedom" in the game. I am not particularly interested in all the "flash" or "bling" offered, as I feel I would rather earn my rep in game and focus on whats most practical/useful for me and my fellow Brits. I don't have the finances or desire to break the bank and really go the distance (please do not confuse the last statement with a lack of respect for those who dropped sizable cash to back a dream they really believe in).

I would prefer to be in an urban environment at the sacrifice of something "bigger" as I like to be immersed in the hustle of bustle of the city as well as have player interaction when I go out my door. For example, having a one or two story building instead of three if it means I have a nicer location closer to people. Being in a village etc would not be a deal break though but not my first choice. Lastly, I would describe myself as a generalist in the sense that I don't shy away from PVM, PVP, crafting etc. I like to experience it all and my motivations usually stem from making others feel welcome or to work on a common cause for friends/guildmates.

Lastly, I am also curious how lot placements will be organized for early backers? Is it first come first serve, biggest backers get first choice, random lottery or some other variant? My main reason for asking is again the desire to have an urban lot if possible, sacrificing flash and all that extra stuff if necessary.

Appreciate any feedback. :)

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm..if you plan on living in an urban environment, you might consider upgrading to either the Ancestor or Navigator level (which gives you a row house and lot). Personally, I think the Navigator level provides you with more bang for the buck because of the extra level (3 vs. 2 story row house) and the additional 1 level row basement (to store your extra stuff - like crafting stations) o_O

Lot selection will be based on date of pledge (Royal Founders, Founders, and then Benefactors) and dollar amount (ranges above minimum) at each tier starting from Lords of the Manor on down...

Hope this helps ;)

3. CrimsonBinome

CrimsonBinome Avatar

Thanks for the speedy reply. My first instinct was either Ancestor or Navigator. I guess that means I'm going to be bottom rung for selection... It would be nice to get a sense of what exactly I will be getting but I just didn't want to pledge so much right away.

So if the lot is the same size and I get the higher tier choice will I still get to choose placement before lower tiers even though I pledged later?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

First off, while you backed way back in the Kickstarter, that appears to be your first post, so welcome to the forums!

Lot selection will be by tier, and then within that tier broken down by Founder and Benefactor. If you backed at the Ancestor tier, everyone at higher tires will be able to select before you, but you'll pick a lot before Benefactor Ancestors since you are a Royal Founder (backed during the Kickstarter).

If you only want a small row lot, that should be fine. Row lots are very urban, small lots with the houses right on top of each other and no yard. You can check these out right now in Ardoris to see if this is for you. If you don't know how to get to Ardoris, go to Kingsport and look for the boat on the docks that takes you to Ardoris.

Row lots may be small, but you can get up to a 4 story row house, plus a 2 story basement with the Developer tier. And really that is more room inside the house than you get with the Citizen tier and a 1 story Citizen house.

The best bang for your buck would be the Ancestor tier to get a tax-free row lot, and then buy the 4 story house in the add-on store for $50.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085

Or, once you know you have the lot secure with the ancestor deed, just upgrade to the 4 story house with in game gold after launch.

If you're looking to drop more money, the Knight tier provides great bang for the buck. It is one of the best houses in the game and tons of items you get for your pledge tier.

5. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Since you said, you have pledged during original Kickstarter campaign - this is determining your pledge date and your status as Royal Founder, if you did link your initial pledge properly with your SotA account and spend the upgrades on it.

6. stile

stile Avatar

We bid ye welcome!

7. CrimsonBinome

CrimsonBinome Avatar

Thanks for the warm welcome :) I think I will take your advice and check it out more thoroughly. I really like your suggestion about the ancestor lot and buying a four story house add on or even doing it with in game gold for that added sense of accomplishment, although I don't mind cash going to help the cause as well. The wizard tower also looks freaking sweet hahah but its in a village only.

I reeaaallllly want the knight lot (Sir Aesir Valien, I mean come on!) but again, it is village only and far more expensive. I wish they had am urban option as the idea of being a knight defending his town sounds epic. I don't think I can justify such an extravagant purchase though (i.e. my partner would murder me). Knowing me I probably will inch my way with upgrades as time goes by before the actual release hehe. Less suspicious that way.

Another quick question though, will having a lack of a yard impact crafting or can I shove everything in my basement?

My current status is Royal Founder - Collector and I believe I properly linked everything up at the time. Thats really nice to know that I will still be ahead of the pack in terms of placement, for the most part.

Thanks buddy :)

8. enderandrew

Village just refers to the size of the lot. I'm sure there will be Village lots in major cities that will be urban.

Edit: If you want to do the Ancestor tier but support the game more, you can buy other things in the add-on store, such as a Llama or a Donkey or both!

9. CrimsonBinome

CrimsonBinome Avatar

So much choice but I think I speak for everyone when I say that a Llama is a must have! I think I need to go for a digital walk to clear my head :) I think Navigator is the front runner for now though (it does go with my avatar after all) but I may blow past it all and get Knight but only if I can name my servant Jeeves or possibly Alfred.

Actually did I miss the boat on the founder rewards for pledging since I am upgrading? Having a house servant is pretty sweet but would be a shame if I missed out and can only get the downgraded version.

10. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

No, you do not lose your Royal Founder status if you upgrade later on, so you will still receive the extra Royal Founder rewards available at higher levels :D

...and yeah, who wouldn't want a cute llama (or two) :p Go Team Llama!

Lord Baldrith and enderandrew like this.
  11. CrimsonBinome

CrimsonBinome Avatar

That's awesome news! The Found Knight house is vastly superior in my opinion as far as design goes compared to benefactor.

12. enderandrew

Not to mention all the other Founder items you get at each tier. They really add up.

13. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

quite honestly I am in the same boat you are, I have been playing MMORPG's for a long time and am looking for that one game I can finish the time I have left playing, I am probably going to upgrade to the Developer pack because I think its the best overall value. the problem is I would have to do a payment plan, and the payment plan only extends till june 2015. I am not even sure I have that much time left. more than likely I will cave and purchase the Developer pledge level soon just because like I said I feel it is the best value overall

Lord Baldrith and enderandrew like this.
  14. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

The reason most people upgraded to Citizen instead of Developer is for the Village house - before there were no row houses so this was the only way to get a house.

15. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

@kadumel:
    What is limiting your time, if you don't mind my asking?

16. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Woops realized that was supposed to be @ someone else

17. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

I didnt want to go into drama but basically I am terminal

18. enderandrew

Obviously that is unfortunate. I wish you the best!

kadumel likes this.
  19. CrimsonBinome

CrimsonBinome Avatar

Good luck and I hope "basically" means there is still some hope. That is harsh news to hear.

Duke Olahorand and enderandrew like this.
  20. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

I'm very sorry to hear that, Destiva (and apologies for misdirecting that message), but I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the pursuit of your interests. Best of luck to you my friend, and keep the hope. Miracles happen and the mortality you are facing is something we all face, life itself is a miracle and I thank you for reminding me how precious every minute of it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.