A way to allow differnt last names and still have Account visibility so reputaion can be know?

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Weins201, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I was in Veratas pass, not very active and a player was clearly trying to drag stuff on top of me, WEAK.

ANYHOW I have no way of knowing who this is and assign a reputation to him so I can see him in all his known and different names ESPECIALLY since this is Testing.

Soooo .. How about we have the ability to see chars, like what they are wearing looks etc, and along with char names the account name is on the paperdoll?

That was if they change names / delete chars / have different chars their reputation can be attached to them and over time, if they are just plain bad EVERYONE will know who they are.

Plus if we see this our chars can have different last names ?? :)

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

While I kind of like where you're going I think being able to actually see someone's account name is a bad idea. Mainly because it's a security issue. In a small community it's not a big deal. We could see people's login names all the time on my old NWN server but a lot of people care about their anonimity and would use multiple accounts so that it would be harder for people to figure out who all their character's where.

I don't mind if the game tracks my behavior across characters but I see less value in players behind able to tell by name. If there were some other indicator I would be fine with that.. even though I personally don't agree with how the related issues are being handled. If you could just see all associated character names on the paper doll I could live with that.

There are just too many issues around relying on last name. A lot of real families for example might share an account. Just because another character pops on with the same last name is far from a guarentee that it's the same person. Yeah ok it's better than nothing but it's not infallable.

E n v y and Net like this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

So long as the ignore list goes across the whole account, you're fine. Ignore the player and hopefully you won't see them in instances with you again.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

yes Ender that works but how about if he changes his name, I just don't want to ignore them I want to be able to see the account so if they are know scammer, griefer, just plain dirt bags it cen be know and knowledge is power and will also deter scammers and criminals in general

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Bowen I am against the last name thing in general but cannot get that changed without a method to link the names to accounts :-(

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

This I have to question. The only reason for the last names is so the player can visually see.. hey that's the same account.. but how important is that really? The game will still track their behavior. If the paper doll listed all character names on that account (but not the account name).. would that not serve the same purpose?

7. MIJ

MIJ Avatar

I like the idea of a reputation scale. Some people want to play a bad avatar not only towards NPC's but towards other people. In a RPG sense reputation would proceed you for better or worse. The NPC's will react to you differently based on your rep why not allow the community to help influence how they feel about someone. I do think it should be limited to the one avatar though. Some people with multiply avatars might want to play one as evil and one as good.

abj9562 likes this.
  8. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

I am with Enderandrew.

Hopefully the system that allows for who you see while playing will cover this. The system can know who is related but you do not really have to if the system can act on known relations.

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  9. Net

Net Avatar

I quite like the way Star Citizen is doing it. There is acount name, which is hidden and uniqu, there is handle, which is unique and public and there is character name (or forum name) which does not need to be unique.

Instead of Handle we could easily use UserID and make it more public. It is quite handy to know if that character in game is the same account (e,g, for sharing reputation between players), however telling the actual account name is imho a bad idea.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Interesting..so in other words set it up such that UserID is an alias for the account. They could then display that on the paper doll without giving away the account name. Seems a little round about but I could live with that. :)

11. Sofiamia

Sofiamia Avatar

Weins201, the first day I played I fought in a "road" instance. Someone was dragging things over to me, too. I didn't realize what he was doing at first but when it hit me he was griefing my character, I thought, "Oh great, this game is already full of immature morons". I'm sure he guessed I was new by the clothes I was wearing and the trouble I was having learning the targeting and camera angle positioning while fighting. Makes what he was doing even worse. It's not like he would be able to pull anything off my dead body, it was just a mean thing to do.

Good thing I stuck around and talked to other players and also decided to read the forums. The griefer is a teeny tiny itsy bitsy microscopic spec of a minority. The large portion are nice people.

I like the idea of being able to globally ban someone no matter what character he's on. People like the above should be ignored. Net, I think you have a good solution.

Tahru likes this.
  12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Hmm, I can't picture how this griefing works? Drag things over? What am I missing?
    Are we talking kiting aggro past someone else?

Doesn't matter. The ignore thing is account vs account already, and has been for a couple of releases.
    Same as the friends thingie.

So if you right click 'em and do ignore or friend then it is vs all avatars of that account regardless if you or them delete or recreate.
    So far it has also been saved accross wipes. There has been some debate whether this is a good thing or not come release.

Tahru likes this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

well since I was talking about the ability to see them and their account names, not just ones I have ignored, blocking them will of course work way in the future when we have game with friends only but for now we have no way of knowing who they are just by looking at them all we have is the ability to block them , and then of course as new iterations and new names come up we wont see them, but if they are in your instance they can still be near you.

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Not trying to be smart here, but are you aware of the waves of enemies that spawn and attack in that area? They have a large aggression radius.

Tahru and Weins201 like this.
  15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

lol

Tahru likes this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

???
    I think we are talking past one another.
    You asked what happened if you put someone on the ignore list, would it affect their other avatars on the same account, and what happens if they delete their avatar.
    I responded that currently both the Friend list and the Ignore list works account vs account. So they remain after avatar switch, they remain after avatar deletes, they even remain after wipes.
    That has nothing to do with "Selective Multiplayer:Friends Only". Where did that come from?
    Right now we are not enough people to make instancing work, so yes even if you put people on your ignore list you will end up in the same instance as them because there is only one instance to go.
    Once we are more players and there are multiple instances of each scene this will work much better.

Now to swing this back to your original suggestion. Since we know that the Ignore list is account vs account I think it would work much better with a Highlight of some kind (name & char) so if you end up in the same instance you can clearly see that the person is on your list without having to remember names or anything of the kind.

Tahru likes this.
  17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

ooh there totally is people over there kiting wolves onto people at the scenes start, got same complaint in guild forum.. low level players with no guild.

Tahru and Sean Silverfoot (PAX) like this.
  18. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

I had to go to the bridge the other day to help a noob just to get to the portal. yes its fairly easy to do to drag aggressive creatures to noob players. the wolves tend to switch targets to weaker players in an area fairly quickly. if the person that was griefing the new player had stuck around after i got their he and i would have and a nice long conversation. But as soon as i got their and killed all the crap he brought over he ran for the portal.

I think myself and a few other players on the next release might be camping a few areas in search for and prevention of griefing low level players. i haven't found a report button in the game to report players doing that however i do intend to take screen shots of these players and post them on the forums. So if you read this and have been doing this Consider yourself warned... And please be pvp enabled and we will discuss this as real men as well.

If any one wants to join this guard leave a msg here or send me an mail and ill add you to my friends list and ill notify y'all in game if we have a situation where we can put a hurt on someone for doing this.

ps.
    ohh i do personally like the last name thing the way it is. sorry if i am in the minority. But at most you will get 3 avatars if im not mistaken at a fairly high pledge if its such a problem and that you feel you want to create an evil or good avatar to counter your current one just buy another account.

Tahru and Themo Lock like this.
  19. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

It was announced some time ago that all of your player characters on your account will be linked to the reputation system which is account based. Unless this has changed, it would still be the same would it not?

The only thing is there, it needs to be very closely linked with your actions in game, their system is going to have to be incredibally intelligent to pick up griefing. Luring mobs to noobs and running away for example, think they can accomplish something like that?

20. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

There are some very valid points being made on this thread about how to prevent griefing. However, we owe it to ourselves and the community to further consider some of the longer-term implications of the solutions being discussed.

Perma-banning your association with a particular player whose been griefing you is something that I've done in other games. The downside is that we are permanently severing the potential of any future relationship with that individual. In a community-based environment, such as this one, that's a big negative. Both for us and for them. Today's Griefer could be tomorrow's party member. Or Guildmate. Or guy-that's-selling-that-rare-you-must-have. People change. Perhaps not overnight, but I'm not the player today that I was 15yrs ago.

For these reasons, I support the short-term ability to ignore characters. But perma-banning our links to other accounts? That's a step too far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.