Advocacy for PVP!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by blaquerogue, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sciamano

Sciamano Avatar

See previous post

Duels/Arena's shouldn't effect Virtue or have item loss in my opinion, unless the add a "betting" system later on that is consensual.

The reason I personally PvP is that I love competitive play and play versus humans is so much more fun to me, I get bored facing a bear or dragon that does the exact same thing every time, it also feels like more of a grind as well.

PvErs who do thing such as guild wars and duels then transition to being pvp, so therefor they become a pvper, if you mean can people who arent "flagged" do these things? SURE! I do not think they should be able to do anything with a reduced penalty/reward however. If they have quests designed for PvP everyone should have to do it the same way, I won't be able to do PvE quests by PvPing (Killing Swamp Thing doesn't count as killing a dragon, sorry man) and PvPers should lose reputation for attacking a caravan or gain for defending it, if you are going to attack a player and loot from them then you should lose virtue, my opinion is that the virtue/rep system is better when it impacts more things having loop holes just makes it boring.

I will disagree here, everyone who PvP's in either a guild war or PvP zone should have the same risk otherwise it discourages people from ever flagging and it gives a loop hole for people to just not flag to dodge risk.

I am confused by what you are trying to say here, are you asking people who are flagged to not attack except Guild wars/Duels/PvP Events?

I am sorry to keep disagreeing I do appreciate you man! I think that people who flag PvP should be attackable ANYWHERE no safe zones whatsoever, that being said they should not bring the loot system online until they have functioning town guards. I do think that the main city/cities should have powerful guards that make it dang near impossible to kill someone and get their loot unless you have an army but the option is there if you are dedicated enough. All I do is PvP (I only PvE to level up to be better at PvP and I am yet to craft anything and it will most likely be a long time before I do) and I like having the risk of being able to be attacked at any time, if you want to be 100% safe then you can either be unflagged or in FPO/SPO, the reason you flag is to be PvP enabled everywhere.

I am waiting to get more in depth on this until they talk more about the rep/virtue systems and what will be in E1, I would love the idea of titles/dyes/cosmetic items and etc that are only obtainable for being a high ranking red and as well for being a high ranking red killer. I don't want there to be too many items that increase effectiveness in combat possibly a few small increases but I don't even see a need for that. I would like to see "bounties" for the "trophy" of high ranking reds but I would also like to see a town or two that is a notorious black market kind of town that offers rewards for the heads of the noble pvpers as well.

Here is a thought that just came into my head so I have not thought it out whatsoever. What about player vendors (or just players) offering the rewards for trophys of notorious PKers/Blues?

For example, once they get the trophy system online I will most likely be offering a reward for people I want dead I would be more then happy if people did the same against me! *grins* THE POTENTIAL! lol

This is one thing I will toss a more......"hardcore" mentality into. I personally don't think "ganking" someone is chasing them away from PvP, world PvP is very different then arena's and such because of the unbalanced and random things that happen such as ganking. If you only want 1v1 and planned fights that is what duels and the arena are for.

Don't get me wrong I think that camping at the spawn and skill trainer is a mean thing to do but that is also how I learn who the PKers are (aka my enemies :p) and I have recruited people by seeing them defend others and join in against the PK's.

2. Sciamano

Sciamano Avatar

The issue with this is you dodge the PvP flag entirely, here is an example.

I am a healer and Hategnomes is a warrior, I stay unflagged while he kills someone. I wait until he needs my help to heal him (meanwhile I am unkillable until I chose to step into the fight) and I also would dodge any penalty if I don't face the same consequences.

The best way to encourage a PvPer in my experience is to point them in the direction of someone who can help, if they want help with the combat system point them the way of an experienced player. If they are a PKer that is getting jumped by anti PK *cough* I will gladly tell them to group with others as long as they avoid "flaming" me. If you find PvPers who dislike PKers and need help send them our way. In reality the biggest thing is to get people to realize PvP isn't dead and you can get connected they just often times need to know who to talk to.

I have been having lots of fun this past week as more people are flagging for PvP and there have been more group fights popping up out of nowhere.

As for all of my posts these are my opinions and I respect the opinions of everyone else in the thread. I love conversations based around attempts at furthering the game and the community feel free to tell me you disagree or even better lets try to come up solutions that please multiple types of players.

Great job Portalarium keep up the good work!

3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

blaquerogue said:
    Let the Pkrs Pk! We already have guilds that will hunt them down and they have guilds that will hunt us down! We are enjoying our PVP this way! Let us enjoy the game as much as the PVE will!​
    We have PVP only zones that PVE can go into anytime they want (under PVP rules of play) just like when we decide to just follow story line and unflag we need to follow the PVE rules, no attacking each other except for the Guild War, Duels, and special PVP event with no loss of items or virtue as well!"​

Sciamano - I am confused by what you are trying to say here, are you asking people who are flagged to not attack except Guild wars/Duels/PvP Events?
    blaquerogue - No, people that are unflagged, or unflag themselves from PVP, for whatever reason. Running around with PVE friends etc.. doing quests in the PVE state.

blaquerogue said:
    "Also devs please make towns designated no PVP so people have a chance to raise skill buy and bank. or sell without risk of Pks ganking you! Also make towns that are Lawless so those Pks can go to those towns, maybe charge higher prices since it will be considered black market with stolen goods!​

Sciamano - I am sorry to keep disagreeing I do appreciate you man! I think that people who flag PvP should be attackable ANYWHERE no safe zones whatsoever, that being said they should not bring the loot system online until they have functioning town guards. I do think that the main city/cities should have powerful guards that make it dang near impossible to kill someone and get their loot unless you have an army but the option is there if you are dedicated enough. All I do is PvP (I only PvE to level up to be better at PvP and I am yet to craft anything and it will most likely be a long time before I do) and I like having the risk of being able to be attacked at any time, if you want to be 100% safe then you can either be unflagged or in FPO/SPO, the reason you flag is to be PvP enabled everywhere.

blaquerogue - Here i was saying at least have one town, where people can go where the guards will attack you for fighting in town, and make a town where there are no guards, so if you happen to be red (murderer) you have at least one town you can go into without worrying about guards (like Bucs Den in UO)

4. Sciamano

Sciamano Avatar

Oh I am sure they will have towns that are secure with guards, they just haven't had the time to put into the AI yet. Being honest I think it would be really funny if they just put on guard near the skill trainer that did a 2 million damage lightning to anyone that attacked there, I would die laughing watching people get 1 shot by the guard almighty himself.

I would like to see a town that is flip flopped, it has guards but they guard against the blues, they only let notorious killers in.

5. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Well that would solve the afk/skill trainer issue......

6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

LOL

7. Net

Net Avatar

My point about resources si based mainly on PvP areas which are supposed to have the best loot drops... we should fight for resources there, so they should be lootable. And it does not make much sense to let people loot the mand lose only some percentage if they are caught. If someone steals my kill and loot, I want to be able to kill them and get the loot back.

The consumables should be lootable, because it is what most PvPers need, so if you are succesful in PvP, you do not have to go back in town as often, if you are losing, you are forced to go into town. And it will make you think twice about how many resources you have on you, and how far from your home you dare to go... I think that 20% could be enough, but really this is something we should test in beta, I am just in favor of starting with harsher penalties, but then, I like PvP to be scarce and meaningful.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I agree, anything that you acquire in the scene you are in should be loot able. Say your a miner, your ore would be loot able. If you are a Pk, anything that you looted would be loot able. I also agree with the consumables, they should be loot able also. I am all about more meaningful combat also. I truly believe in role play and role play adventures. I remember on Europa doing role play battles. You had to wear the proper armor for your character, nothing above gm armor was allowed. The odds where mostly even, and the battle would ensue, unscripted, but meaningful. Whether you were defending a wagon train of gold, protecting the princess or what not, if you won, you sometimes took one of the opposing guild members hostage. Sometimes you took the loot they were protecting. I liked the hostage thing, or some kind of ransom for a particular rp item, because it would lead into another eventual battle. There would be diplomacy in between battles in bars and courtyards. Was a truly inspiring and meaningful experience.

9. smack

smack Avatar

Completely agree here, but I will say this: we are asked not to judge SotA in its current state as a final game, so we should not judge the current (unbalanced, incomplete, broken) PvP experience as what it will be like at launch.

Potential PvP players should not be scared away but they need to be warned of those conditions, especially new backers that have not followed the game or understand pre-alpha / early access. Which is why I repeatedly tell everyone that you really have to accept those conditions if you are going to remove your protection now vs. waiting until those are resolved in a later Release.

Perhaps the Oracle should not blindly remove anyone's protection. It has been said that they want to make it a quest to remove and restore that protection. Maybe the Oracle should look at your actions, like have you ever dueled, have you ever participated in a PvP arena, have you been to a Forced PvP zone and killed anyone (defense or not), have you participated in Guild PvP, taken the PvP contraband quest, etc. The Oracle can then make a recommendation -- which you can override -- but this way it again emphasizes that removing your protection is a dangerous choice, and can at the same time educate the player that there are other options to enjoy PvP currently.

I really hope we get scenarios like that, or the other suggestions here.

Net, KuBaTRiZeS, Sir Cabirus and 2 others like this.
  10. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

I like this Idea :)

Net, smack, Sir Cabirus and 1 other person like this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I just wanted to thank everyone so far for keeping this thread civil! :) +1 to all of you!

Luka Melehan, Gaelis, Net and 3 others like this.
  12. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

13. mythos

mythos Avatar

Don't understand why PKing and full loot is so controversial. Look at all populated UO freeshards - no Trammel!

Shock, blaquerogue and Keira OFaolain like this.
  14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I don't get all the PK controversy either, you can still PK in SotA. And the full loot, that either, as long as looting is profitable, does it matter.

Gaelis and blaquerogue like this.
  15. Net

Net Avatar

Where can I have look?

16. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

ITT to many people discussing pvp that have never pvp'd. Please don't ruin PvP for people that actually enjoy doing so..

blaquerogue, Keira OFaolain and Shock like this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

/phew, for a moment there ya had me worried. I almost started thinking that someone on the forums had the power to actually ruin something.

The devs have already, since the beginning, decided what kind of PvP they don't want. It's very clear that type of PvP won't happen. If that type of PvP is what you wish for, sorry, no one here can change that for better or worse. All other types of PvP are on the table.

Nothing to fear.

Luka Melehan, Tahru and Sir Cabirus like this.
  18. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Rista are you a closet PVPr? I ask simply because i see you comment the most in PvP, and I also know with my children offen time when they protest the most they didnt do something, its often that one who did it.

19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The closest thing you will have to PKing in shroud is killing someone afk or at a trainers.....possible when the game has launches finding a bluebie wandering in no PvP scene to maybe farm some resources. Other than that....PKing won't exist in a true form.

Problem is that it won't really be that profitable and the lack of choice doesn't make it appealing. I could probably just about stomach the suggested loot system if they made all consumable lootable (like UO), other than that.....it's going to be quite dull. It seems like the ransom number will be generated (bit like insurance in UO) so as soon as players start to have more wealth, the whole system falls apart.

It always made me laugh with the insurance system in UO, I kill someone and get 2k gold.......I mean seriously I've got several billion in my house already!.....only thing that make the kill worth while is looting potions and trapped boxes (so I dont have to make them myself or find a supplier)......oh the rage talk afterwards always makes me smile.

But seriously the proposed loot system is currently so lame they may as well not bother building it.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The change from 700 skill points to 2 different skill systems for crafting and combat has just as much impact, if not more, as consensual PvP. Make it non consensual and everyone still can fight back.

Over the time I have been on this forums I have seen plenty of people "claim" they will be flagged open PvP no matter what. If that's true then the mega shard system should be able to keep PK a possibility. But, again, it goes back to everyone being able to fully develop combat skills. Everyone, potentially, can fight back.

You and I both have suggestions along the same principle. The current method will be crap. I apply that to PvE as well, the loot methods should be the same.

Full loot is the uncontrolled extreme. The entire purpose, as far as I can tell, with their loot system it to put the cost of PvP under the devs control. Full loot is zero control but they went to 100% control. Our suggestions puts it into choice for the looter and the % of control is scaleable by the devs.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.