Underworld Ascendant with a portal to SOTA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Proteus Tempest, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Ok campers I had thought about this idea but I was not going to make such a suggestion I personally thought it would not be possible but since the can of worms has been opened I might as well be close to the first to start talking about it.

The new Underworld Ascendant game a "spiritual successor" to the Ultima Underworld game is set to have a kickstarter on Feb 4th. A claim I read was that this game would have a portal to SOTA AND artifacts could be brought over. This is, to say the least new to me in gaming. I'm not for or against it I'm just surprised its happening or maybe its time FOR it to happen. Considering the story line for SOTA is "other worlders/refuges" coming to Novia via portals I guess the next question is, will people from the old UO MMO be able to bring over characters from the game with their items. I'm thinking no but the can of worms is opened so....there ya go...Food for thought.

After having this in their minds AND yes this has been in their development talks. I just know Portalarium figured people would be asking to transfer their "refugee" characters from UO to SOTA. Its just a natural progression of thought. Electronic arts sold Paul Neurath the rights to the games. So since UO is practically in an undead state I would imagine EA making the last bit of cash they can by allowing transfers. EA would have droves of people paying a one month subscription to make one transfer AND new people would be making new accounts to load up on rares to bring over and capitalize on. We do these things. GOD bless us.

This of course is pure speculation BUT..... The can of worms has been opened. So lets ask some questions about this.

Really in this case its probably going to be just the items from Underworld Ascendant as a new game which in turn makes me think what other games they will make/revitalize and utilize portals to bring everyone into a new frenzy of fantasy gaming. Actually the more I think about it, its genius........so........

Can I transfer my UO account to SOTA?

Your thoughts Early Backers?

Bowman and Tahru like this.
  2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You cannot transfer your UO over...and as for underworld I think they just mean lore stuff will be seen in game...nothing more, but I could be wrong.

Sir Cabirus and Tahru like this.
  3. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

"We're especially excited to reveal that, just as the original Ultima and Underworld shared a connection on backstory and fictional elements, so too will Shroud of the Avatar and Underworld Ascendant. There is a portal between the two worlds, which over the ages travelers have crossed, some bringing with them artifacts and arcane lore."

Is the quote from the email but it could be read in a couple of different ways but probably NPC artifacts and lore.

However putting this in the email is going to make people think about it.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Drowan

Drowan Avatar

I'm so backing this!

5. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

That sentence simply says the worlds are connected not that you'll be able to travel between the two games with the same characters (carrying artifacts). I can't imagine they could possibly make that work as an indie studio.

6. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Sounds awesome, could be good because it sounds like he has a lot of ideas for it already.. If planned good and good engine is used it should be fantastic..

7. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

The intellectual rights of Ultima are owned by EA, as is the UO add on store, but the game itself is no longer run by them; It's operated by Broadsword. Previously it was operated by Mythic, and accounts still are operated via their system. There has been talk of migrating UO accounts back out from Mythic to Broadsword's own system, but frankly the Dev Team at UO consists of under 10 people, who are overworked just trying to keep the game ticking over. And of course, Richard Garriot has a storied past with EA himself sooooo... you've got a situation where there may be non-compete clauses (or similar) we don't know about with both the Shroud staff, three different companies for UO (EA, Mythic, Broadsword) and a caretaker staff that is extremely unlikely to be able, even if they wanted too, to implement any syncing with Shroud's account data base, because they don't as yet have the full rights to their own.

It's a nice idea, but unfortunately absolutely impractical. I got to see our Once and Forever King in UO recently, but letting him play Lord British again is perhaps the closest integration we can expect.

8. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

I don't know. Seems pretty clear and straightforward to me.

"We're especially excited to reveal that, just as the original Ultima and Underworld shared a connection on backstory and fictional elements, so too will Shroud of the Avatar and Underworld Ascendant............... (Backstory and fictional elements)------>There is a portal between the two worlds, which over the ages travelers have crossed, some bringing with them artifacts and arcane lore."

I don't see anything here that makes me think they intend characters to cross between games. I see it as we'll have some of the same artifacts and arcane lore, which each game will be adding to their own games.

Heradite likes this.
  9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

If characters would be able to cross between the games then both games either would need to have the same rulesets or the devs would have to create some conversion tool.

Also, Underworld Ascendant is a single player game. So if you would be able to bring your character from SotA to UA you basically could cheat as UA is a single player (presumably offline) game. Then you could bring a cheated character back to SotA?
    This would be the same as if you could bring your SotA offline character to the online game. Portalarium does not allow this so why should they allow it with UA?

Heradite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.