Steam or not to Steam.. that is the question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oldmanmagic, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldmanmagic

oldmanmagic Avatar

I currently utilize Steam for several of my other games but I was curious what the difference is between options. Am I better to buy it via the kickstarter where I can update my pledge if I so chose or buy it through Steam? Do I have the same abilities via steam? Also, if it's delivered via Steam if my kids fire up a different game, will this kick me off like normal? Please advise.

OldManMagic

2. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

they have a patcher that works. you don't really need steam unless you just prefer to run from there.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

I assume money goes to Steam when you buy through them too. I'd rather see it all go to the game. :p

4. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

If you choose Steam your pledge account and Steam account will be linked. Any upgrades you wanna do will go thru the website and will auto-update on Steam. It's pretty seemless.

5. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

Steam. Always steam. I bought through Steam and it has no effect updating pledges, since you do that through the site anyway.

Tahru likes this.
  6. Bamrak

Bamrak Avatar

You can link your steam account to the game even after you sign up.. I went straight through with all my pledges and everything directly to the game and just now went to steam and linked everything.. only awkward thing was steam wants you to re-download the game, which isn't a huge deal.

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes it will kick you like normal. Get those kids their own account.

From a player perspective both work the same. If you buy from site you can redeem a STEAM key.
    If you buy from STEAM you can create an account in SotA.

So...

Both can upgrade later.
    Both can use steam or SotA client.
    Etc so you can really start using one and switch and test the other at will.

Differences;
    Patches and such downloads are much much faster through steam.
    STEAM cards and achievements.
    If you buy or link to steam you are not allowed to trade away your last $45.
    You can only pledge upgrade through SotA site ( but since you can create a SotA account from steam it makes little difference)

Entrappedmind and TheMadHermit like this.
  8. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

To consider: If you are not sure if you want to keep your account or sell it in the future, stay away from Steam. Once the account is bound to a certain account Steam, it is forever AFAIK and I am not sure, how an account transfer to another player would work.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

9. no_excuses_its_released

no_excuses_its_released Avatar

+1

If you are patient and wait for the sales, you can build a huge library of games without breaking the bank.

Also, I've found some great games that I wasn't willing to try at $50 or $60 dollars, but at $10 or $20 I have them a shot and wound up liking some of them.

Best deal ever: Civ V for $5.99.

10. Numa

Numa Avatar

Steam has simplified my SOTA updates, specially since I already have several other game from there.

Also the main fight for (new) hearts & minds will - and is- taking place on the Steam SOTA forums.

grimgryphon, Entrappedmind and Tahru like this.
  11. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Agree 100%... Also, grim, you may want to check out the isthereanydeal website as well. Speaking of Civ 5, I got Brave New World the other day for a little over 5 bucks, activated on Steam, because isthereanydeal showed me a sale at a German site lol.

12. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The game was on sale on Steam, so it might be a cheaper option to buy the game. But Valve takes a 30% cut, which means less money going to the developers.

I recommend buying it through the site. You'll get access to DRM-free clients, as well as a Steam code.

And welcome to the community!

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  13. no_excuses_its_released

no_excuses_its_released Avatar

30% is for ONE scenario.

You should be careful throwing Steam and DRM around. It gives people the impression that all DRM on Steam is equal and it generally gets the tin-foil hatters all up in arms about "big brother".

There are four different scenarios on Steam (AFAIK, there could be more).
    1. No DRM. Steam acts as a download service only
    2. No Steam DRM, publisher uses their own DRM model
    3. Steam DRM
    4. Steam DRM and the publisher adds additional DRM on top of it
    Interestingly enough, the most common scenario is #1, especially with MMOs. With the exception of a few (LOTRO, DDO are good examples), all you are downloading is the launcher and Steam only maintains the newest launcher bits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.