AI and vendors.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

if you could program your own vendor via something like macros that ARENT exploitable would you invest m ore $$ into sota?

for me it has been a dream to challenge perception and when you are talking to what you think a npc how cool would it be if you could program responses to questions. i admit, i've cussed at the npcs and offended them. but were they really mad? no.

the AI seems to be good so far but i think this addition would be very awesome. what do you guys think and what pledge level would you suggest it would go under?

personally i would put it around the 135$ pledge level that seems like a very good sweet spot to get to.

2. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Very neat idea... Yes, if I were the type to drop that kind of dough, that's something I'd pay for. Related note, I wouldn't mind the vendor being able to purchase items from a small list, with the ability to set (for example) 8 items he'd buy, at X price, to a max of X.

Would give players without vendors another option when it comes to selling raw goods, regs, supplies, etc.

Veylen The AenigmA and Tahru like this.
  3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I used to play a MUD that let us program bots and NPC, it was extremely fun and got out of hand far less than you would expect. Not overly confident we will see it in SotA though.

A Ghost, Veylen The AenigmA and Tahru like this.
  4. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Completely unrelated note... But am I the only one who's slightly curious just how many "likes" Tahru has given? I can't be the only one who's noticed, can I...? :)

*notices the "like" pop up approximately 45 seconds after posting* I knew it! lol.

A Ghost and Tahru like this.
  5. Veylen The AenigmA

What if portalarium made the macros and sold their functionality as addons like apps for a buck you could have a macro to control what your vendor says, maybe a patron comes to buy something and you barter with him and give him a quest. then he would question every npc as if it were human for he would not know for sure. sell them for a buck as upgrades like itunes.

A Ghost likes this.
  6. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

Interesting. I like a lot of your thoughts. Several other members contributed similar ideas on the recent thread about SotA Economics. I could see your ideas being incorporated into that framework. And, yes, I agree that we may be talking Stretch Goals or Add-on purchases.

Themo Lock likes this.
  7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It was a part of very oooold gaming that just vanished, would love to see its return.

Veylen The AenigmA and A Ghost like this.
  8. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

Agreed, Thermo. And I think that Veylen's ideas would help to create an even more stable economic model. That would benefit all of us and Portalarium.

Quick story:
    • I met my good friend Bob in Second Life. At the time, Bob was the owner of a small IT business. But over half of his personal income (>$100k) was coming from the work he was doing in Second Life. As an Architect, Bob was making a killing buying, designing and flipping private islands in-game. He later became a mentor and employer. Although Bob passed away years ago, I never forgot that lessons that he showed me. I, and others, foresee similar opportunities in SotA. But to make it work, we need a viable economic model. Let's hope.

Veylen The AenigmA likes this.
  9. Veylen The AenigmA

Ahh, ultima online, the one game that changed my life. im sorry to hear about bobs passing as he sounds like a very smart man. Realty ingame will be a problem if con men find it lucrative, but not all con men are equal, perhaps those that challenge your reality with probing debate that is unoffensive are just as good at conning you into beleive something that changes your life profoundly. i dont like the negative connotations with con men i would suggest
    "opportunist"

im trying to live by the new motto, not from caligula, but myself. "instead of hoping for something, lets help"

A Ghost likes this.
  10. Countcristodemonte

Countcristodemonte Avatar

I am no economist more like a hobby horse like the two steves from Apple. The semiconductor developed in the 50s and 60s made Silicon Valley much like ultima online I am sad to see it go. Sometimes greed gets the best of people.

A Ghost likes this.
  11. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

Agreed. For further reading, one of the best books that I ever read was The Prize by Yergin. It tells of the history of the oil industry, and of Rockefellers (and Bushes) behaving badly. The parallels to the IT (of which I am a part) industry are scary. ;)

12. Veylen The AenigmA

interesting ghost, I see the spirit of the IT industry and all of silicon valley re-emerging. with all the civil issues that come with storage space and tracking stuff and the new bills in proposal to change the way internet is classified as a utlity will change the industry imo if it passes.

free fiber for everyone!!! maybe thats too hopeful :p

i enjoyed the read up on the proposed multi group specification link.

i do think it could harm guild cohesion but in reality there will always be those in guild that are outliers and anti social, thats just part of it. sometimes people just want to be alone and solo.

i would look at it as a rank system within a guild.. very good read though, i wouldnt worry about risk to stakeholders, build it and they will come.

13. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I'm often a real potty-mouth to NPCs also just for the fun of it, and to see if they'll react.... Usually, they don't. Would be funny if certain phrases or actions could make them agro or at least refuse to talk with you anymore (maybe for a certain amount of time).. Probably unrealistic sure but since the thread was there ...

14. Veylen The AenigmA

lol i've done the same. sometimes if you just talk respectfully to the or introspectively about yourself they say the most unexpected stuff.. almost like a real person.. wierd :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.