Who opposes an avatar?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seneth, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

So, avatars in this world will be somewhat feared and distrusted, yes? A lot of people won't want them around. They'll be seen as invaders by some. People will resent their effective immortality.

Maybe some of the natives will band together to try to keep the avatars in check. They'll work to expose avatars for what they are. They'll try to kill them, sure, but they'll also work to drive them out of towns and cities. They'll work to ostracize them. They'll create propaganda and try to control politicians and other power brokers to achieve these ends. Their goal would be to ultimately drive them out of their world.

They would see themselves as protectors of the world. As far as they were concerned, they would be fighting to keep their homes and their world safe. To this end, they would have to be organized. Some sort of order of knights, or a fraternal order, or something like that.

What would be a good name for such a group? How about The Guardians?

(It would make more sense than that muppet from the late Ultima games who called himself that, at any rate.)

2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Here is what I think of when the Avatars first enter this new world.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57qE1arvo3U&t=3m55s

I feel bad for the natives.

smack likes this.
  3. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

I'm not sure what point you're making there, Mike. I didn't make these ideas up out of whole cloth, you know. Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman have already stated that fear and distrust of avatars will be a part of the setting, and that players will want to avoid being found out as avatars for that reason.

I don't think I was very clear, so here is my main point: the people who oppose the avatars in game should be called guardians. It's a neat little nod to the Ultima series, and one that EA can't complain about.
    Ultima: Avatar vs. Guardian
    SOTA: avatars vs. guardians

I'd be surprised if our lovely and talented writers didn't already think of this, but I thought I'd toss it out there anyway.

And why was the red guy called The Guardian anyway? Near as I can tell from the Ultima stories he didn't really hang around on the worlds he conquered. He didn't protect them or even really seem to care much about them at all once he took them over. I guess it's like a mafia enforcer calling himself Nice Guy Joey.

4. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Humans are waking up to the Avatars.

Just don't let the humans take out the broadcaster or they might see who we really are.
    And hope there is nothing on the planet that might let them see our true form even for a short time.
    :)

Maybe there should be some town criers that are out to expose the Avatars.

5. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Hey Roddy Piper! Ah the good ol' days before the WWE, when Pacific Northwest Wrestling was big.

6. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

As long as he don't turn on us and start killing all the avatars we will be ok.
    Yea Piper was great.
    He would make a good PK.
    http://tinyurl.com/o83spf9

7. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Bah WWE stuff. Here is regional wrestling at its finest:

Piper and Rose were the best heels I've seen.

8. knoxiTV

knoxiTV Avatar

At a guess in a fictional sense, he was called The Guardian because that name encompassed the things that people chose to believe. Gods generally are scripted to be in some ways destroyers, the reason for military victories etc and therefore should be feared by those who don't believe in them. But to those who believe, they are protectors invisibly present in their daily lives offering protection without interference and as soon as they're not protected from something, it was gods will or a fault of their own action that offended the one who they believe would otherwise have protected them.

It's these common people, who are (without further cannon knowledge) in my mind responsible for the name.

Personally though I don't like the idea of the citizens of new Britannia directly worshiping The Guardian and becoming Guardianites, it's bit of a sloppy naming convention and doesn't seem appreciative of The Guardians great intellect or vastly more complex schemes. If anything, it would make some sense to see perhaps a resurgence of The Fellowship in Britannia ... perhaps seemingly cleansed of the control of The Guardian ... but not really.

Beyond this it makes sense that the adversaries of the potential Avatars are the people themselves in various forms, mobs or organisations. And beyond that it makes sense that the adversaries of the potential Avatar are those potential few who've fallen from the path of the Virtues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.