1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

A quick update on harvesting skills!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I would prefer to see more experience gained from successfully gathering hard resources then to push the need to "craft something". I know many players who have no plan or desire to craft anything, but wish to use harvesting to supplement their income. Just place those higher skill gains on the higher nodes (in more dangerous areas) rather then forcing someone to make a bow just because it gives better EXP then harvesting. You should be able to excel in your chosen field, not choose another I would think. :)

2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

So I'll be honest, I'm the guy who argued against the tools of prosperity because to me they crossed the line too much to selling power and they are tough to design around. BUT like it or not, we've sold a ton and will stick to the design and promises we've made on them. I think we've promised that you could upgrade them some but not to the level of the best tools in the game. So my estimation is that they will probably go to probably +20 with upgrades vs +30 for very good tools. There will probably be some crazy bonus tools with something like +50 or more that are so fragile that they are practically consumables. Exact numbers aren't set as we're still defining the highest tier nodes and will be tweaking some math around those.

Also, if you want them, buy them soon because I'm going to continue my fight to get those things removed before we go live because I think they are over powered and challenging to design around in the long run! :p

3. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

In Deep Ravenswood I have yet to fail harvesting a tree yet in Novia aside from the high probability success rate in my first random encounter, trees in far less dangerous environments were almost impossible to harvest. Not a complaint, just something for you to consider when balancing things.

Tahru, Kaisa and Lord Lonn like this.
  4. Chris

You won't always lose durability even on fails. That is another random chance thing that is based on how difficult the node is.

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

*clings to prosperity packs for dear life*

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I've always been on your side of the argument with the prosperity tools. I probably wouldn't have felt that way if I hadn't played Darkfall. But here you have an item that can never be looted or destroyed, gives you a bonus, can be upgraded, and that you'll use ALL THE TIME especially the gathering tools (those are the best of the bunch for your average adventure).

At this point though, it almost seems cruel to take them out of the add-on store. If you guys are thinking about doing that I might just buy some more. :)

Tahru and FrostII like this.
  7. Alfric Jodoc

Alfric Jodoc Avatar

One thing I'm curious about:

When receiving points for leveling, will those points still be divided between combat/magic skills points and gathering/refining/crafting skills points, or will it be one big pool of points that can be spent in any of those areas?

Tahru likes this.
  8. Logain

Logain Avatar

I always loved your postings, since I'm what some call a nerd and enjoy numbers, but now you have yet again managed to excel yourself. Pity you live too far away, or I'd say you next beer in on me.

Hmm? As far as I understood it, the Tool of prosperity was supposed not to be upgradable, but tier 3 or 4, whereas the indestructible Artisan Tools were upgradeable but started on Tier 1? Have I misunderstood that?

Ice Queen, Tahru and cartodude like this.
  9. aaronvf

aaronvf Avatar

Any word on fishing?

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

When Starr last commented on this then there are two tools
    The pledge artisan tools, which start as basic but can be upgraded
    The addon prosperity tools, which start at high effect but can't be upgraded
    Both are indestructible.

So removing prosperity tools won't solve your headache.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...goal-store-megapost.11352/page-65#post-190641

Tahru, cartodude, Logain and 2 others like this.
  11. Chris

No confirmation on when we'll get it in but I sure want it sooner rather than later! Here is a picture of one of Bzus's tests maps for crafting:
    [​IMG]

He has has a little pond setup for a while waiting for fishing to come on line. He even added a chest with a chair, a fishing pole, and 6 mugs of beer by the pond!

Won't be too many more releases but we want to do it right because, and I think we can all agree on this, FISHING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE OF THE GAME! :)

12. Drocis the Devious

@Chris

What if nodes developed a resistance to tools over time? (so if you use the same prosperity tool, eventually the node starts to fight back and have have less of a harvest bonus. Maybe the exact same rate that you might see for item decay on a regular tool?)

This might even the odds a bit, and I think it's still within the spirit of the prosperity tools. I think what this should do is curve the use of the tools in the same location. Still making prosperity tools very valuable because they don't decay and can't be destroyed, but never allowing someone to use them forever in the same scene at the higher harvesting bonus rate.

Tahru likes this.
  13. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

I'd probably agree with some people here that I'd be fine with gatherers managing to skill up their gathering by actually gathering. Not everyone wants to be a crafter and I like the idea of a dedicated refiner/crafter working with a dedicated gatherer.

Though I'd also like it so there were more points required per tree so you could only max out 4 or so. That way you'd be more reliant on interacting with others and work orders to really get going with your craft.

Like ordering ore from a gather. Sending their raw resources to be refined by someone else and ordering a material from another crafter to gather everything you need to make your item.

14. Alan Waltaffa

Alan Waltaffa Avatar

I'm pretty sure they're divided :cool:

Greetings
    Alan

Tahru likes this.
  15. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

Adventuring points and producer points are kept separately and can't be exchanged

Tahru and Themo Lock like this.
  16. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Interesting, this makes the nodes a bit more bearable. I still prefer being able to mine, chop any tree much like UO, but this makes the node system a little more satisfactory.

Tahru, Lord Lonn and Themo Lock like this.
  17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

How about we don't nerf thing we paid good money for *glares*

18. Drocis the Devious

LOL

Themo, you'll find that making a good game is my top priority. Even over having a competitive advantage in the game. The way I figure it, the better the game the more advantageous for all of us.

sammakonkorvat and Tahru like this.
  19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

NO! me having 8 floors of chests filled with crafting mats should be top priority :(

20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye please let us know and thank you! Also a quick question, I notice there is no prosperity rasp on the add on store, will there be?

The description for prosperity weapons has them at giving us both more quantity and quality:
    This unique, indestructible ______ increases the quality and quantity of items produced when _____. While _______ with similar effects can be crafted and purchased in the game this ________ never needs repair. (And the gathering tools are suppose to increase speed of gathering as well as quality and quantity)

I understand these will probably be replaced later by us as the game is live, but I do hope it's not something I'll replace in a week's playtime after release, perhaps months down the road, because otherwise I'd have just wasted $135 on something I could have made in a week, and just saved my money hehe. I hope it's not the case. :)

Tahru, FrostII and lollie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.