Some "Paladin" Combos

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Fikule, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

Just thinking of what some trees could use as combos and the Bludgeoning and Heavy Armour trees could mix well with the Life and Sun trees for some paladin-esque combos.

Things like:

Knockback + Banish Undead = Banishing Strike
    Large knockback and extra damage against undead. (Same as knockback versus non-undead)

Inner Strength + Purify = Purified Armour (Requires Heavy Armour)
    Resistance to the next 5 Death, Curse or Disease attacks.

Healing Ray + Berserk = Zealous Rage
    Weapon Strength Damage increased at the cost of accuracy. Damage dealt heals yourself and nearby allies.

2. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

actually like the ideas here, more combos are always nice, since justifying the time spent right now is eh.... skeptical

3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

whats a paladin?

Dewderonomy likes this.
  4. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

Not sure if serious.

You know, Holy Knight, all up in your grill with holy magic, heavy armour and a hammer to the face. :)

Except here it wouldn't really be a paladin, just someone using Bludgeoning, Heavy Armour and Life Magic (Possibly Sun Magic too). The result being a paladin-y feel without the un-relatable religious pretext usually present.

Galamar likes this.
  5. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Why just Bludgeoning?

6. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

Didn't want to throw it all over the place. But yeah, paladins could totally use any weapon.

7. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Just tough is was kind of strange to bludgeoning as broad swords was the most common used swords by paladins.

8. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

True, but I always liked maces and hammers myself ^^

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  9. Nubelite

Nubelite Avatar

I am actually playing a Polearm AOEer atm. Weapon AOE and Fire spell AOE are main focus skills. Some helpful tips for a mage tank.

Chain chest, cloth gloves, and focus skill (-10% fizzle) - this will allow high defense with low fizzle chance on most spells.

Defense skills
    Pole Arm, Shield, Earth Magic, heavy armor, all have good DMG resistance bonus skills.

you can truly play it anyway you wish, this is just what I found for high defense while being able to cast most basic spells.

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. Rhawkas

Rhawkas Avatar

Perhaps, but for every paladin-type that likes maces and hammers there's another that likes swords and polearms. I'm sure there are even some archer paladins out there somewhere. XD

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

OK , well im a Cleric :)! I use bludgeoning weapons! :) Because as a Cleric I can use bladed weapons, besides a dagger! (old school D&D)

Ray of light would be a great use for damaging undead if they implemented it, I would love to have a turn undead type spell! etc... So im with you Pally!

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ok, I typically will be playing a Cleric, and there are others that play a Paladin that i know of. So lets start this off with "what is a basic Paladin"

Paladin

Typical tenets of the Paladin code are as follows (though many variants exist):
    • A Paladin must be of Lawful Good alignment.
    • A Paladin may never willfully commit an Evil act.
    • A Paladin cannot associate with any character who persistently commits acts which would cause the Paladin him/herself to Fall - notably Evil creatures.
    • A Paladin must remain truthful and forthright at all times.
    • A Paladin must give fair warning and due quarter to enemies.
    • A Paladin holds stealth, subterfuge, attack from the rear, missile weapons and especially poison as weapons of last resort.
    Cleric

clerics are versatile figures, both capable in combat and skilled in the use of divine magic. Clerics are powerful healers due to the large number of healing and curative magics available to them. With divinely-granted abilities over life or death, they are also able to repel or control undead creatures. Whether the cleric repels or controls undead is dependent on its alignment.

With that being stated, i believe the Cleric and the Paladin, should have a totally different set up on magic, since its not Arcane (magic user)
    The Divine (Cleric/Paladin) comes from divinity. the spells are mostly defensive and healing, and are not drawn from an arcane pool of magic but rather the Gods, Demi-Gods, Faith/divine pool.
    A divine character like the two there should have a different magic pool set, with rules based on how the character acts (alignment/virtue)
    So the point is that even in plate armor a "Divine" should have no negatives from the armor they wear. Whatever spells they have (since we have them already) should be cast without penalties. lets go over some "Divine Spells" for those that say it would be over powered.

Heal Self, Heal Other, Cure Poison, Resurrect, and buffs - Defensive
    Holy Light (light ray) the power to Turn undead so many times per level (skill) Which doesn't necessarily kill off all undead chasing you (they can run away for a short period of time or you may not be able to kill off all of them chasing you ) again based on (experience) skill. * I dont expect a Lich to crumple on the ground just cause im a Cleric with turn undead.
    Now if we want to mix that with other skills then all the rules should apply casting penalties and eating up of mana.

Ok now for what needs to be done to "keep the faith" Divine mana.
    Each town should have some kind of temple or something that the cleric/ paladin needs to make an offering too (for those that played UO, Chivalry magic) to keep up their mana pool. So in order to play these type characters, you have to sacrifice. Wealth etc.. and pray to whatever divinity you pray too.

Just my thought on Clerics and Paladins. I wanted to add this as well as far as supporting the OP

Caradin likes this.
  13. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

why would they use D&D rules, if there were Paladins in game, they should follow the Ultima form

Full Video

14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    What If there where paladins in Sota.........Have you read Blade of the Avatar? ;)

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I only know D&D rule set so im good with that, if theres not Paladins in SoTA, maybe we should start some! As far as the book, no I haven't. There's only one fantasy writer that appeals to me. Hard for me to be hooked when reading a book. If it doesn't hook me from the start I lose interest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.