Mailbox or Mail Slots

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by OoOo lollie oOOo, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heiron Spar

Heiron Spar Avatar

Tahru likes this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

SEE! I told you we were more alike than different. This is a great idea. LoL

Has anybody proposed having a mail room for players without houses? Maybe the city banks could also have a type of PO boxs on the walls where players without homes could check thier mail too.

What if they appended the street name to each piece of mail to add the feeling that the mail was delivered to the address. Even if it was your home address, or the address of the bank you pick up your mail at? It would be just for show. The sender neeeds only send mail to the character's name, but the presentation of the letter we picked up might have a section saying

Addressed to:
    Lollie
    #12 Obsidian Lane
    Ardoris, Novia

EDIT: I think it would be really cool if players had to pick a home town PO box where they always must go to pick up their mail if they have no house. It goes with the global economy thing anyway. So even if they don't have a house they can still have a home town when it comes to mail.

It also could lead to guilds and organizations being able to send mail to players they don't know the names to. They could individually send mail to each Box in the town by manually writing the address for each letter instead of using a player's name (with an added fee if you don't know the player's name).

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If mailing people (using a mail box or using a PO box) was something we could do, maybe there can be a postage charge so that people don't spam mail people.

It could be a really small fee, but if somebody or some group wanted to send flyers they would have to spend gold to do it. So spam costs something. Although paying for the paper, envelope, stamp, and even the use of seals could be something we all could do to make mail more unique.

EDIT: I suppose that mail addressed to a player could be much cheeper than sending mail to an unknown player by stuffing stuff in their box.

Also mail that is addressed to your name personally should be easily filtered from mail that says to Resident Of ... This can help deal with spam.

Noble Seal
    If we get mail, we ought to also gain the ability to purchase or acquire a formal seal. Maybe Lord's and higher, or Knights Commanders and higher should get a seal as part of their pledge reward.

So we get the letter and it says who it is addressed to and has a notification that it is sealed by Lollie, and maybe we can see the actual CoA for Lollie in the form of a Red Wax seal.

Although just stating that it is sealed by Lollie would be sufficient because I suppose all backer rewards can be traded to other players. Having a a letter that says sealed by Lollie or whatever would just be a cool addition since not everybody can seal a letter. it would make that item a valuable rare.

I suppose the seal could be used on books and other documents other than just mail. Sealed by Duchess X... It would prove that the document was in fact created by that player.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The idea of using banks for those without houses was brought up in a past discussion which I plugged in this thread a long time ago. :)

Isaiah likes this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Maybe I heard that before, and totally forgot about it. I forgot about that thread completely. Must have been my subconscious mind. ;)

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Perfectly understandable.. it is a very old thread. :)

Only reason I remember a lot of the really old ones is cause I usually started them. lol So I usually remember what comes up.. though rarely who thought of it. In this case though, using the bank is a simple and logical solution since everyone without a home will be using the banks anyway. The idea I recall though relied somewhat on the notion of players declaring a 'home town'... otherwise it would end up being a global service which didn't make a lot of sense.

A slight revision on the idea though would be that bankers from other towns would tell/show you that you had a message waiting for you at which ever bank it was sent to. Like how they now show you which bank your items are located in.

8. Kit Kimberlin

Kit Kimberlin Avatar

Postal carriers who get a % of the postage paid for their delivery time. Make it worth something for people to do it. Great way to encourage RP also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.