Linux in Alpha/Beta?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by d10sfan, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d10sfan

d10sfan Avatar

I was looking at the campaign funding and the $40 tier has Alpha/Beta access of the game. I was wondering if there would be a Linux version in both of those stages?

Also, as a unrelated question, is this planned to be released on steam?

2. Aos_Si

Aos_Si Avatar

Answer to your first question: most likely yes, they already have client running on Gentoo.
    Answer to your second question: most likely yes, steam is one of the major online game vendors, I see no reason for them to ignore it.

3. d10sfan

d10sfan Avatar

Ok, any way to confirm at least the first one?

4. Aos_Si

Aos_Si Avatar

I suppose the only way to confirm it is to wait for the alpha release. You may also pm Chris if you want to hear promise from one of the devs.

5. LemmingOfEvil

LemmingOfEvil Avatar

In another thread, https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/linux-fans-rejoice.2422/
    The wording Chris (tech director) uses makes me think that the builds they are using for the gnu/linux versions are the current ones (where he mentions the concerns of linux users only getting builds afterwards of everyone else), which makes it seem in the realm of possibility that the alpha/beta builds for linux will be released concurrently with the Windows.

Does that really confirm it? No, but it makes it seem like that is the current plan to me.

As for #2...... From KS Update #5:
    Steam is a possibility, but they are hesitant on it as Steam is essentially a form of DRM, something they were trying to stay away from.

6. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Steam doesn't need to act as a form of DRM. I have purchased DRM games via Steam, and they install and play normally. No interactions with Steam again after the purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.