Server Birth Rares as Easter Eggs in Game.

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Zylo, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zylo

Zylo Avatar

Everyone will remember from UO some items that were not "locked down" when the game went live. Some players managed to swipe the items right off the ground and they never respawned. This wasn't on purpose but it added a lot to the lore and legend in the game as time went on... It became part of the history of the game and Ultima...

What if there were some server birth rares placed all over the lands, some hidden away, others in plain sight... Some, decorative.. Some giving magical properties, powerful weapons, perhaps a server birth rare weapon for being the first to complete one of the harder quests or spawn in the game?

There are a lot of options on what you could do for "Server Birth" rares... It would be a lot of fun, and a nice tip of the hat to something in Ultima Online everyone loved.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

hope not this does NOT need to turn into a game for dolts to make $ for Pixel Crack.

PLEASE PLEASE keep that crap out of this game

If for some reason it is seen as something they do MAKE them Account bound from the start, NOT tradable , transferable.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would argue the comment regarding lore but that's really not the point. I am completely against the concept of "Server birth" rares BUT.. I am not against.. and in fact entirely in favor of extremely rare items which would more or less have the same result for collectors and the rare market.

The difference I'm talking about here is that in UO, those rares made absolutely no flippin' sense. I once heard about someone who paid 1 million gold for a pile of horse dung. Everything may be worth what it's purchaser will pay for it but that's downright ridiculous. Extreme rares (which I will shamelessly plug the appropriate thread in a moment) have the benefit of being equally rare but lore friendly and every bit as collectable.

Extreme Rares

I'm with you on overall principle and intent.. but rare items that have no business being rare is something of a pet peeve. :)

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  4. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Chris assured me that there would be no mistakes in this game.
    So, any rares you find will be intentional.
    :D

5. Zylo

Zylo Avatar

I'm asking for intentional rares to be put into the game....

The argument against server rares is silly.. Who cares if they add a unique one of a kind painting hidden somewhere in the forest and someone finds it? Is that really going to wreck that game? You're that mad about it and against it? Some players enjoy that... Why do you care.

To me, those are just fun things they can add to the game...

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I only want rare items to make sense.

SinDee likes this.
  7. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

These 'scavenger hunt' items could be interesting. There's no reason they would have to be at 'server birth' in SotA though, since the game is made up of hexes and instanced scenes, the Devs can add them anywhere in the world, anytime they want. ;-)

I agree with Bowen Bloodgood that time should be spent making discoverable, decorative/equipable items in the world have a story behind how and why they ended up there.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  8. Zylo

Zylo Avatar

They do and could make sense.. it would be extremely simple and easy to add them to the game. It's not hard to be a little creative and unique...

Also, that is what "easter eggs" are in games... Just fun little surprises like a purple kicking lama or a blood tile...

I am failing to see how these small additions would take away more from your game than it would add for others who enjoy them?

Why is there so much negetivity towards fun ideas?

I find so many ideas on this forum are met with "well I don't like it so no".. As if they should be making a game based on 1 persons interests or not give any feedback because it is critical... we should all just accept whatever is handed to us...

9. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

this would destroy the crafting economy , an absolute no from me! everything must be craftable!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It was the comparison to UO rares.. which, being bugs.. made absolutely no sense what so ever. It was bad enough that horse crap.. something that would normally be found everyone to the point of people actively scanning the roads so as not to step in it.. would be considered rare enough to fork out a million gold for.. (which did happen).. but to walk by someone's house and see them fishing in a water tile on top of their tower just breaks all sense of immersion.

I am personally a big fan of rare items. If they feel like they belong in the world as something that should be rare.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

how?

1: Rare items that are not crafted do not interfere with player demand for items that are.
    2: Crafted items could potentially become rare.. (ie sword made by Lord British).

Zylo likes this.
  12. Zylo

Zylo Avatar

No one is asking for bugs to be put into the game. Where are players getting this crap from? How do you misinterpret posts so absolutely badly?

So you are ok with these stupid Fez hats, useless pledges and other useless crap they make but some neat and interesting rares that could be tied into the games lore and history would ruin the game somehow?

wow.

https://d2sx9mrt4zumaq.cloudfront.n...tA_R17_GrandTourReward_FezHat_LandingPage.jpg

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You just asked how someone could interpret a post so absolutely badly.. and then follow it up by asking me that? Seriously?

14. Zylo

Zylo Avatar

Who is talking about fishing from water tiles on top of their tower?!?!?

this is what I mean, you take a good idea and then make up some insane comparison that is not even close to what was suggested here...

No one is asking for bugs..

No one is asking to fish in water tiles from a tower?

I am blown away you could get to that point based on my OP.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok let's run through this shall we?

Your opening post brought up UO "server birth rares" as your example for promoting your idea. Those rares were a result of bugs and were not in the least bit lore friendly. That you wanted lore friendly rare items was something you had to clarify after the fact.

If you had been listening to what I have been saying.. my whole point was that those rares were NOT lore friendly and that was my biggest gripe against them.. and that I am very much in favor of lore friendly rares.

Furthermore, no was said or implied anything about you asking for bugs. I was only.. and I stress ONLY pointing out the nature of UO rares as being anything but lore friendly and making that point only because you're the one who brought up UO rares to begin with.

After all that.. that you should think I was implying that's what you were actually asking for.. or that I am somehow against lore friendly rares.. even after I had said otherwise more than once and posted a link to a thread that *I* started promoting extremely rare items is what I don't get.

Then there's the use of "server birth" which has clear implications of 1: only appearing when the server is reset and 2: always being in same spot.. against because that was your reference point. Discovering rare items should not be so predictable.. probably not what you had in mind but again.. you're the one saying "Server birth" and pointing at UO.

16. Zylo

Zylo Avatar

Are you for real? Yes, let's run through my first post.

you claim that wanting lore friendly rares was something I had to say after the fact? Lets look at my Original Post. I'll quote myself...

Hmm, I said the items could be decorative (not a bug)' I said there could be a rare weapon for being the first to complete a quest... That's tieing it into the game...

After saying all that, the fact that I had to clarify to you that I was not asking for bugs is simply astounding to me. I was presenting a concept, gave some quick suggestions but apparantley abstract thought escapes you.

I'm not trying to sound offensive, I am just that amazed that after my OP you started talking about people fishing from a tower into a water tile... that is not even close to what my OP suggested.

Unreal you could arrive at the conclusion that I wanted bugs or floating water tiles to fish in? Your words.

17. Exialch Qualthian

Exialch Qualthian Avatar

Bowen I think you misunderstand what Zylo is saying. As far as I understand, he gets this idea from Ultima Online. But just the idea, not any implementation details.

I think this is a good idea and would encourage exploration. He does not say anything about meaningless items at a fixed spawn point. He does not say copying the system from Ultima Online, he says copying the idea.

Like some sunken mossy vase at the botom of water at some random location, or a lost hat of an adventurer in the woods.

Zylo likes this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Decorative is not the same as lore friendly. UO rares were not lore friendly (at least not AS rares) and they were used to decorate all the time. Rare weapons are debatable. All such things are meant to be craftable and all the most powerful items are to be craftable. So that's probably out.

Just saying "they could be decorative" doesn't mean anything.

Next.. you did NOT have to clarify you weren't asking for bugs.. as I had just finished explaining.. no one said or implied that you were. Therefore.. no need to clarify. Should I quote myself? Those were NOT my words.. those are words you're putting in my mouth. You're responding to a post here where I JUST finished explaining you to you why that was not what I was saying. Yet you're getting hung up on thinking that it was.

Enfo likes this.
  19. Zylo

Zylo Avatar

Thank you. You get it completely.

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I know exactly what he's saying. I've been saying it for the past 2 years! I think you're both misunderstanding what *I* am saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.