So I went full locked glyphs as a mage today...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wizardess, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

Hello Lords and Ladies!

So I locked all my glyphs (5; is that the max?) and I must say it wasn't too bad.

The predictability of combat made it easier to focus on my surroundings and I died exponentially less.

I like that they penalize you for it... you definitely need to think out your strategy and your build. After rebuilding and respeccing gor nearly 6 hours I found the balance neccesary.

Only bad thing is the bar is only 5 spells but my alt deck has 0 focus penalty now.... still has that dreaded time penalty though.

Anyways see y'all in game!

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Actually 5 is not the max deck size. I believe you can get it up to 10 by investing in focus. I've been keeping my deck at 8 with half locked and half random. That way I keep certain skills always handy when I need them while still having the random ones which cost less.

Then again, I generally don't play magic users who would probably enjoy a more predictable / reliable deck.

Logain likes this.
  3. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

I meant locked only being 5.

I had 5 locked and 5 unlocked (so total 10) but it was just too hard to manage everyone and everything on screen. It actually pretty fun since you can move and cast.

If they take 'move and cast' away I think it would severely change gameplay

4. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

your joking, they have removed the full locked deck????

(can't play at the moment because every time I load the game it crashes instantly)

5. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

I have pumped all my points in focus to raise my max deck but unless I am doing something horribly wrong (very high probability) then all I can get fully locked is 5.

If it truly is 10 then omg there is no point going with the random ddck at all after level 30.

(All this is done by a really really new noobie but I have logged a load of hours IG).

6. Caradin

Caradin Avatar

T
    The fully locked deck is still available You have to check the box for fully locked in the screen where you create your deck.

Numa and Logain like this.
  7. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

Ok great thanks! Ill check it out ig later!

8. smack

smack Avatar

I really wish Chris would allow players just starting out with random deck combat to start with a turn-based deck and allow them to pump points into some Focus skill to start the decay at faster and faster rates, accordingly with their real world skills to manage onscreen combat and their hotbar. The problems he mentioned in a previous Hangout are easily solvable.

4EverLost likes this.
  9. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

You can create a full locked-glyph deck, and set up to 10 glyphs.

There's a checkbox in the deck editor to activate this mode.

Once you set a deck as locked-only, glyphs:

- Can use only one glyph copy per skill
    - Cost twice as much as base focus (can be reduced by raising the level of the specific skill)
    - Have a huge cooldown (can be reduced by raising the level of the specific skill)
    - Most of them will share a common global cooldown. From direct experience, one notable exception is the dual-wield, second hand attack.
    - Will be affected by the Focus skill that lowers focus cost of the locked glyphs
    - Will be affected by the size of hand Focus skill, up to 10 slots.

If you use alternate decks (switch with "X" by default), the alt deck can be random deck or locked deck.

Vaentorian and Ice Queen like this.
  10. Gix

Gix Avatar

Some spells you can't cast while moving; I believe that capability is only for those that are instant-cast.

I found that I died far less with a shuffling deck than any iteration of locked skillbars. Primarily because I find it easier to control the odds of my skills (by carefully building my deck) than managing cooldowns during the action. That's a matter of preference, of course.

Playing as a caster is a lot of fun but it still needs a lot of design love before it ever comes close to being as reliable as the armoured brute style of combat... and I'm not talking about the power output. There are very few ranged spells and there are even fewer that help you keep that distance.

Between fizzle chance, interruptions and wearing light armor, casters have it rough as they don't have the tools to compensate.

11. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

Gix, look at Weins's post on the Elven Heavy Armor. He posted a video showing the stats. Those stats showed no fizzle percentage for any of the pieces except for the helmet.

Here is what each piece had:

Elven Warrior

helmet
    3 dmg resistance
    0 dmg absorption
    1 dmg avoidance
    4.00% fizzle chance
    2 weight

armour
    5 dmg resistance
    0.75 dmg absorption
    3 dmg avoidance
    0.00% fizzle chance
    5 weight

legs
    5 dmg resistance
    0 dmg absorption
    2 dmg avoidance
    0.00% fizzle chance
    4 weight

boots
    3 dmg resistance
    0 dmg absorption
    1 dmg avoidance
    0.00% fizzle chance
    1 weight

gloves
    3 dmg resistance
    0 dmg absorption
    1 dmg avoidance
    0.00% fizzle chance
    1 weight

X

12. Gix

Gix Avatar

It's interesting and the info is appreciated but that doesn't really solve the problem. That armour practically embraces the idea of getting hit in the face.

13. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

:) I didn't think about that. As a heavy fighter, I only saw it as a lowered fizzle chance combined with some protection for you mage types.

14. Net

Net Avatar

I never lock glyphs, before every glyph you lock decrease the number of slots of random deck and makes it hard to predictable... with 25 deck and 10 slots, you have over third of your glyphs available. It is so easy to make combos. And mindwipe deals you over half of the remaining glyphs (i.e. glyphs not currently on your bar).

If you have 5 locked glyphs and 5 random, then you have only one fifth of your glyphs avaiable. Mind wipe deals you quarter of the remaining glyphs... you hardly get glyphs you need.

Logain, smack, steanne and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.