PvP & Single Player Online... what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wizardess, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

I dont agree with this statement, though I understand your sentiment behind it.

I think people who dont want to PvP should be able to get anything a PvPer should get and vice versa. Nothing exclusive to either style of play.

For example, I am NOT a supporter of the shardfall,s where rare resources spawn in greater numbers, just to try to tempt people into PvPing. It wont work, and it artificially and needlessly gives greater rewards to PvPers over PvE players.

We would all have been better off to allow everyone to play their playstyles anywhere in the game PvP or otherwise. Just dont allow people flagged as non-pvp to be attacked by pvpers. Having exclusive areas with extra cool resources for only PvPers to access is not a good solution. HOwever thats the way its going to be and I accept it.

Note that this is just my personal opinion. To each their own, neither side should be penalized by withholding rewards as they are going to do. One playstyle is not "better" than another.

And the earlier poster is right, this has been beaten to death multiple times. I wont get my way, nor will anyone else. In the end it will be a hybrid solution that doesnt make anyone perfectly happy, but may be "palatable" to the majority.

2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Just to chime in, this is a bit of a dead horse, but not sure the specific topic of SPO and PVP has been a top level topic in a while. First off, Single Player Offline is not supposed to ever be brought online. The devs have mentioned the possibility of moving a online character offline, but anything done offline stays offline. I bring this up because the OP mentions Single Player Offline which I want to make sure people understands is different than Single Player Online.

That said I don't think there needs to be any restriction to moving to Single Player Online from PVP. There is nothing that restricts that can't be done by logging off or pulling your network cable: at least if the requirement to go to Single Player Online remains as is which means logging out and relogging in. I know some people have this idea of "competition" and "risk" and see this as unfair somehow, but this is no different than loggers or anything else which has no real effective solution. As such there is no reason to punish people just because they want to play hassle free when a person that still wants to "duck out" can do so and only needs to logout for a while.

Now I don't think Single Player Online should be free from the effects from PVP. I think PVP flagged players should be able to put up bounties for other PVP flagged players that will follow them into Single Player (like a virtue system would be based on all your actions). It was also mentioned that areas might be "contested" in some way that would required Single Players to enter Mutli-player PVP to enter the area or go the long way around. This is something I think will add a lot of lore possibilities by allowing player conflict to have an impact on the world: even for those not involved or that don't want to partake.

I think PVP has its place. I think some take it too seriously: both on the pro and con side of the argument. However, I would like to think that any players online will at least feel the mark of history being made even if it is only a minor inconvience. In the end, the Selective Multiplayer system is supposed to bring these different playstyles into a unified world. I have seen communities with both types of players working and having fun together, so I know it is possible. However, both sides are scarred from old wounds which continues these circle arguments and lines in the sand. I hope all of this is something we look back on and wonder why we all thought it would be an issue to begin with.

salardc and 4EverLost like this.
  3. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

and this is one of the reasons I think PvP shouldn't exist because of this attitude. The rewards for PvP should be PvP itself. If you chose to do it because you believe it carries more risk and therefore its more adrenalin pumping good for you. That's your reward, you don't need the game to say "oh well done, you killed another player, here is a reward for being antisocial"

Ronan and Xandra7 like this.
  4. TantX

TantX Avatar

PvP is exceptionally social. Even PKing and griefing is extremely social. I don't subscribe to that attitude that PvP is anti-social at all.

People want meaningful PvP. That's like saying you shouldn't get a chest in the boss room because you went and killed the boss for the sake of killing the boss. Or that you get 1 gold coin instead of 10,000 gold coins because the enjoyment of mining and gathering those materials to make that magical sword was work towards the reward that you or someone is using a weapon hand-made by you.

Moonshadow likes this.
  5. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

They could just remove the benefit of going to pvp areas from the offline or single players modes. .like the extra resources you gain from gathering in the open pvp areas can be normalized for offline, and single player.

This is already working though, because the extra resources are the reason why I go to the shardfalls.

I don't think PVP is anti-social. In UO, I made many friends by getting PK'd because I would keep coming back until I could win and I earned other players respect who in turn, taught me their tricks and I'd pay it forward. . .

6. Net

Net Avatar

Well I go to shardfalls too for the gathering xp, but there is hardly any PvP to talk about, most of the times I am alone there anyway. The moment it is spawncamped area, I would likely move elsewhere.

7. Rondar

Rondar Avatar

I sure hope the single player game is killer as I don't think I will be spending very much time in multi.

8. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

As is your right and the way you choose to play. Though, there will be people like me who want to organize and get people to ban together to take out the spawn campers and protect the people who want to come harvest/gain xp in those areas.

9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

It's already been decided, "offline" has a completely different chr than "online", and the two will never mix...

RG has already stated that SPO is the way to play (at a min), the "offline" version was only for players who were travelling and somehow, didn't have internet...

I supose if you want to continue fanning the flames of turf wars, this is a way to do it, but really it's a non-issue with selective multi play...

10. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

It was supposed to say SPOnline not Offline.

11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

PVP can be a great deal of fun. I would just prefer that it have a more-strategic purpose. Other games have much more strategic PVP concepts (multi-faction warfare, resource control, terrain control). Not sure how that can play out here in an everyone-for-themselves sort of system.

Xandra7 and Net like this.
  12. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

This will invariably turn into a pk vs anti situation. Those arent too bad due to the player driven politics.

Personally I just like the thrill of defeat!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.