Blade of the Avatar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fionwyn Wyldemane, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Is that the official lore now or speculation?

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Milady Duchess, I'm sure you know that the valar were indeed full fledged gods and godesses (kind of polytheism inner fold) and that Sauron was just a "lieutenant" for the real enemy Morgoth who "is" satan or the adversary.

You also have to notice the deep layers of subtelty when recounting the history of this character, and the mirrors he's brought from the grapevine about his secret desire to please and be pleased.

I'm very ok with copying parts of these worlds, I admire them

STAR TREK FTW !!!

hehe

I like how it all coagulates... the free flow of red and white globules makes the skin pink.

I really hope more attention to details, compared to the importance of those things because if it don't make sense the best graphics in teh world wont do any good.

my point is : if we're going to add Jean de la Fontaine's fables in the game, we should at least understand how they apply to our game design as well as human societies.

We can't fake we admire something then change its meaning or its direction "just cause uhh, our world is a different beast"

So are satan and lucifer different beasts ?

See what I mean, if you have no consensus there is no way the imagination will follow... especially in our setting.

*bows*

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  3. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Ha! Yes I stand corrected, Morgoth/Melkor was the Satan character. But I was in the ballpark :p In any case, there is nothing new under the sun and so as we move forward with learning the lore for SoTA it is my hope that even if some of it is inspired by other works that at least we all have a fun ride!

Now tell me, what do YOU think about the Satyrs in SoTA? Also, have you ever found any fauns??

Nepenthor likes this.
  4. Nepenthor

Nepenthor Avatar

just create all races in fantasy (male and female) ...that way no one is offended...

Elves, Orcs, Goblins, Morlocks, Humans, Sith, Vampires, Halflings, Dwarves, Eloi, Gnomes, etc. (and i am sure there are others)

And then let each Avatar that has chosen that race...create his or her own lore...

Nepenthor...
    Pax et Veritas...

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Why thank you *curtsies*

I think they are amazing, in fact that was one of my most fun experiences yet, in the crystal mines... the scene to enter the mines I also enjoyed alot.

I like the fact that the railroad leads back to the entrance, that did make the experience more fluid and I didn't have to get lost when I made it back to the ankh as a ghost, I died a few times in there but we vainquished !

As for there being nothing new under the sun, well there remains the moon, although its light is dependant upon the sun anything it illuminates wouldn't technically be under the sun :)

6. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

LOL! Ahh my dear Nepenthor,

I can see your tongue is firmly in cheek :) Although I've heard rumors that it is feasibly possible that those moongates have the capability to transport avatars from other *realities*. But for now, I am just interested in the book and the role satyrs and fauns play in it. <3

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't believe there is lore supporting inter-dimensional travel.

8. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Ok Bowen. Not sure where I heard that, likely from someone in Pax et Veritas. As always thanks for your perspective on things. You really help! :)

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If I had to guess I'd say people may have come up with the idea of using moongates to travel to and from inside the shards of UO. Given the backstory from UO was every world was an alternate contained inside each shard of the Gem of Immortality.. but that would be fan fiction.

What we have seen.. is travel between worlds, localized travel, artificial gates made from blackrock including a large blackrock gem in Underworld II and another type of artificial gate being the Serpent Gates leading to and from the Void in Serpent Isle and the Walls of Light. We've also seen time travel in Ultima II and the Silver Seed expansion.

10. maathyas

maathyas Avatar

I apologise in advance but did not want to start a new thread. Instead would like to ask a question with regards to the novel.

There will be a book 2? If so when will it release?

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Last word is there will be a book 2 and I believe a book 3. However that's pretty much all we know. I'm pretty sure Tracy is also writing a book for the new Underworld which will have some tie-ins since the Underworld series did take place in Britannia. We really haven't heard anything about it since those books were announced.

Duchess Wyldemane and maathyas like this.
  12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

There is a good elf in the ruin at Solace Bridge who as I understand it is of a different race than his evil cousins. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

maathyas likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

You are right although breed would be better term

Kara Brae likes this.
  14. maathyas

maathyas Avatar

What surprised me more was that the Elves communicated in Bahasa Melayu or the Malay language.
    It would be interesting to see if UA will continue to employ the language :)

15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Duchess Wyldemane, After every chapter, please write down the "cliffs notes" version and PM it to me. Thanks. ;)

16. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

LOL! I am actually going through the book and highlighting things that stand out to me so that I can go back and see all the references to Satyrs and Fauns. What I really *need* is the actual book so I can hold my preciousss and run my finger along each page! :)

17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I believe I saw TH and the Otherside Entertainment folks say that was official canon and why SotA and UA are linked. They do not occur in the same world. But in the past, some (Dark) Elves traveled from New Britannia via magical portal and ended up in the world of UA in the Stygian Abyss. Their descendants are the Dark Elves in UA.

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1136796

19. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Thanks. I was pretty sure that was official canon.

I haven't seen them explain why SotA Elves and UA are called Dark Elves. Is this a meaningless designation, or did the name change for a certain reason?

I suspect Otherside had decided months ago to use Dark Elves on their own. Later they decided to link up with SotA and they just haven't gotten around to explaining the name difference.

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's truly sad and a load of contradictory.. err.. stuff. The original Underworld.. which also took place in the Abyss.. was indeed in Britannia.. the 2nd Underworld takes place inside Lord British's castle.. The Stygian Abyss has been in Britannia since Ultima IV. Now suddenly it's not in the same world???? That's a load of... stuff.. Sorry I don't buy it. That's "lore of convenience" just because it's two different companies now.

Unless they mean world figuratively rather than literally.. as in "worlds apart".. like where the gargoyles used to live could be called another world even though it's the same planet.

But to the main point. Gate travel between worlds is not inter-dimensional if both worlds exist in the same dimension. This explanation of going through a gate makes no indication either way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.