Banned for exploiting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by swampthing, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Which you have always done and never been banned for no matter how many people complained about it, because it doesn't break any rules.

2. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

this sentiment right here has left such a bad taste in my mouth that there is a large portion of this population i want absolutely nothing to do with, thanks for the reminder.

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Umbrae, I often respect your opinions on things. But in this case, it is not harassment being that it is consensual flagging for pvp.

smack, Harmony2, Moonshadow and 2 others like this.
  4. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

You're quoting Lord British about a point in his career 18 years ago, and in a completely different game, about official rules they'd put into that game which were radically changed afterwards to stop "driv(ing) away potential new players which we could not allow", and haven't been repeated virtually anywhere in the entire MMO industry since... to support exploiting unintentional gaps in the code, which is something completely different.

And ignoring the chief lesson from that time that Devs are now completely familiar with people who will use any advantage, and lie and cheat whilst claiming to be following the letter of the law, to abuse other people in game. And they no longer fall for it. And nor do we the players; notice the bit where Lord British tries to talk to the person concerned, back then? What do you want to bet his decent nature hasn't changed since, and that for some reason the "We were just testing bugs!" part is missing out the huge behind the scenes conversations that occurred, and they were asked politely by Devs today to just stop killing other people in abusive ways (notice the "We were just at player events!" line there?) and even when told they were being watched, used the exploit concerned again, at a player event..?

They gambled you could "Lawyer Me Bro" against the people who actually set the in game Laws, and lost. And no amount of forum meta-gaming will change that.

I submit plenty of bugs too, including way back when, how to force quest NPCs away from their places and hide them in private homes... I didn't get banned because, like Themo states, I was genuinely doing it to help the game, reported it in, then stopped doing it. Had they really been doing that, or even just doing using glitches ignorantly like most PvPers no doubt are, the people concerned would have been fine.

Logain and HokageFont like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Completely agree with this as well.........I would say players should think long and hard before deciding to live in PvP areas and PoT owners should think even harder about it.

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Its a simple story with a moral to it. You yourself just said they changed the rules. Exactly. They changed the rules and enforce them with game mechanics. Maybe that needs to be done here also but the fact is they are not in game right now.

Harmony2 and Moonshadow like this.
  7. swampthing

swampthing Avatar

exploits meaning ignite that everyone uses. lol

Harmony2 likes this.
  8. swampthing

swampthing Avatar

Anyone can turn on the cuss word filter and ignore anyone. Verbal harassment is one of the best parts about playing video games.

Harmony2 likes this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I guess my whole take on this is if you consent to go into a pvp area, you will be attacked. If people are abusing an exploit it should be removed or everyone that uses it should receive/warning punishment. If there is more to the story it is not on topic with this thread title. If there was other factors besides the game mechanics then things get looked at in a different light. But please for the love of pvp do not condone the practice of people that are consensually flagged to cry foul.

10. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

It is; the moral is "We're not falling for you acting like sociopaths and claiming it's roleplay. Behave or have your freedom taken away."

And now they are building the game mechanics here to stop you doing the same thing. That those rules aren't complete yet doesn't change the fact, to any rational, honest mind that isn't trying to abuse short term advantage, that the spirit of behaviour expected has been stated time and time again. Of course the original poster has shown his true colours since, but what makes you think that the same Devs today haven't really learnt the lesson you quoted them discovering 18 years ago? Act in a way the rules don't predict, you'll have action taken against you and the rules changed to stop others repeating your actions. That's the nature of the game, of the gaming industry, of real life indeed; why is it people like the OP who claim to be masters and experts of "game" can't work out how to play it in any way other than trying to knock all the pieces off the board when they endlessly lose?

There are plenty of decent PvPers who aren't banned; instead of pointing to them and saying "why not ban them?!" the honest response is to ask "why am only I banned?" Sure it possibly could be because Devs can be miserable people (I have first hand experience of that, not a million miles away) but in order to be a true matyr, you need to have a blameless personality too. And it's that little part about actually being a candidate for sainthood that for some reason keeps tripping people up...

steanne, Logain and Themo Lock like this.
  11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

So your definition of morality and decent players is the confirmed rule. Got it. Can I get a copy of how I am supposed to behave so I can study it? I hope I dont offend anyone or try to have an objection to your morality sir, I hate getting wipped on the flogging post.

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I don't think you are the one he was calling a sociopath

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I've always found a common attitude from people who get banned and then complain about it. "It's THEIR fault. I didn't do anything wrong."

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Well I have no facts about what was actually done to incite the banning. I have seen unexpect/unwanted PVP during community events that was very discruptive, but no one got banned and few complained and just worked through it. I would imagine the banning involved a breach of TOS which really has nothing to do with consensual PVP flagging at all.

I would guess that the event in question was more than "party-crashing"; however, we don't have any details. Regardless I don't think any of my advise would be invaild should one actually wish to avoid being banned from any game.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

He quoted me

16. Gix

Gix Avatar

Not to sympathize with those who got banned (I really don't) but, unless a player is harassing another, I don't believe anyone should be banned for abusing the system this early on during development.

It's Pre-Alpha, isn't it? Fix the glitch as fast as you can but, until then, try to learn from the side-effects.

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I am strictly speaking on the topic of the thread, not about the other things that have been alleged. That should not be tied to the topic really as they should be separate.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Is not harassment a breach of the TOS? I noted in the reason given it wasn't just exploits.. it was exploits TO harass in addition to verbal harassment. That might be vague but that sounds going a bit above and beyond in the harassment column to me.

Gaelis likes this.
  19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I have never experienced the kind of behaviour being talked about FROM Swampthing, he often attacks me but i also have helped him out in the past and made better gear for him to attack me with. I don't think anybody at all in here understands what happened other than the person or persons that got banned and the developers.

20. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

The topic of the thread is being banned for exploiting, which I said should be YES, and I think TOS breaches are on topic with that. PVP is technically not the subject and was just a side note in the OP's complaint. I addressed that so I am not sure what your complaint to my statements are.

21. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

since there is no way to know what someone else finds to be verbal harrassement I'm just not going to talk to anyone in the game anymore in fear of getting banned, not that I was overly social to begin with or anything .....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.